News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do your neighbors think?

Started by Piston_Freddy, December 13, 2010, 07:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston_Freddy

Got the idea from THE H.A.M.B. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122681

My neighbors probably hate me and don't "get it" .One neighbor asked me what I'm doing with that "thing" when I bought my Charger.  :slap:
Max rim size:15"

Cooter

Well, my neighbors that USED to live next door was the type that the Guy "Robby" was cool, but his 'ol Lady was a BEEYOTCH about anything that made noise...I mean, I couldn't even fire up the General even with mufflers on it, without her telling the entire neighborhood how "loud" my junk was....Thank Goodness, they moved....As for the rest? well, one likes to do burnouts in the street in front of his house with any old junk he happens upon because I live next door, the other, has farm equpiment that makes all kinds a racket, and the other side have block parties till 2:00 AM with thump,thump,thump music Almost EVERY weekend...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

bull

Sometimes the complaints are legit, sometimes not. There's a big difference between rolling your Charger out once a week to fire it up and parking it on the front lawn on blocks next to the couch and mini fridge. If you keep your area somewhat tidy most of the time no one is probably going to bitch when you make some noise or work on a project.

Right now I've got a 35-foot motorhome that's been sitting across the street from my house for the past week. That ain't going to fly much longer.

Wicked72

Well I was worried about my neighbors. I got one of the HOA members across the street, then the prez of the HOA two doors down. They honestly love the car and cant wait to see when its done. Every time Im out making noise they come over and check out the slow slow progress then tell me about their cars from back in the day and pound down a couple beers. The neighbor to the left is scared of his own shadow but they think its cool since they have never seen anything like it before, but his wife and kids love it the most....sad. The one on the right he comes to check it out and doesnt mind one bit. Thank GOD!! I have never lived in a community before, I am used to tons of land and no one to bother or bother me.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Khyron

the old man next door hates the Charger....unfortunately my driveway to my garage out back is right between our houses, I get the "when are you going to put mufflers on that junk" all the time from him, he doesn't like the flowmaster 40's with the turn downs ;-)

He likes the mustang because it's quite, and just shook his head when the 36 came home.... but, I never make noise past 9:00... I never keep the Charger idling or revving, nor do I burn out anywhere near my street... most of the neighborhood loves the Charger.. others just think it's "old loud junk" LOL

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

FLG

I have fights with the old grouch next door constantly, he's a old italian man that is a pos in my book....he wasn't complaining years ago when he nearly cut his hand off with a chain saw and my mom made sure he was ok and they were able to fix it all up.

No one else on the block complains (remeber guys this is brooklyn, there no space between me and the njext guy). I don't make a lot of racket and when I come home late I don't idle or revv it, granted 12pm on a Saturday you might catch me wrenching or making some noise but again everyone likes me and no one complains, exept the old man of course...called the cops plenty. They come in and they pretend to talk to me, all they do is bs about the car lol! Matter a fact one of em used to own a 73 charger.

Old Greg

Everyone just asks me if i want to sell my car. They don't complain about the noise yet.

Charger RT

here its not as much your neighbors as it is the stupid laws and a car needs a tag if its on your property. I had one lady across the street that hated me and my wife and would call code enforcement on my wife for her cats code says she can have 4 she has 18 around the house and for my untagged cars. I found giving her the bird everytime she would leave pissed her off more then she pissed me off. She is now gone since she had her husband locked up and the house was repoed.

The guy down the street is pretty cool. I had my 15 year old son out driving the charger before he turned 16 and he saw us and waited by the edge of the road and yelled is that Richard Petty driving?

But for the most part I could care less what anyone thinks.
Tim

terrible one

I live in a duplex so it is a blessing that the guy sharing it with me doesn't seem to mind. It's mostly the noise factor I'm worried about though. My neighbors to one side I've never met and to the other side is another duplex and both residents there I am friends with and they congratulated me on the first start.

The neighbors across the street though, are some that I can definitely say aren't down. All I've gotten is cold stares from them since I moved here and now that the car is running, I know it's worse. When I was circling the neighborhood for the first time and squealed the tires I saw the woman grumble and shake her head to the husband. Ah well. They are always yelling and shit anyways.

One surprise when I looped around and checked my mail the other day was this older dude that came out to check the car out and shoot the shit. He knew it was a 68, said he loved the vintage mags, etc. Etc. So that was cool.

All in all I'd say my neighborhood tolerates me for the most part. I could have neighbors that were a lot less accepting so I think I lucked out.

greenpigs

I keep the noise and speed low, too many kids around. The wife said EVERY guy that was outside stoped to watch us drive by when we all went for a ride around the neighborhood a few months ago. :yesnod:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bakerhillpins

Neighbors - What are those?  :2thumbs: Ok, I do have them. I just can't see any from my house anymore.. the house across the street got torn down to make way for my "neighbors" horses.  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

The70RT

Touchy subject for me - I don't care what they think, been there done that for years. I have out stayed most of my current neighbors. When someone is looking to buy or move in next door I make sure they know that I am always working on something outside and make plenty of noise. I had one guy complain because I was making noise building my garage, people are not gonna dictate whatever the hell I'm doing. I have made some move but I am within the law and if they don't like it that's too bad. I have been turned in many time and they cant do anything about it! In the last 15 years There has been at least 5-6 different owners on either side of me and they all end up moving sooner or later....sawey  :'(
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

elacruze

My only real PITA neighbor across the street died, and his PITA girlfriend moved to KY. My next-door A** neighbor is bi-polar I think, has yelled at everybody in the area at one time or another. He's aware that if that happens again he'll be injured, and been quiet since I came home. Otherwise, I live in a quiet old neighborhood subdivision where boats and motorhomes in yards are allowed, and everbody has something that makes noise-Harleys, Cars, Boats. Nobody gets crazy and nobody says doody about much.  :2thumbs:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

SFRT

I live in a weird area thats a mix of old chinese people, up and coming yuppie couples and a bunch of well off russian immigrants...

the old chinese ladies will just goggle at my stuff then cross the street....the yuppies...well the husbands try to bro it up, then the wife appears and gives them 'the look' and they slink off to their sensible volvo wagon or whatever. The Russians dig the car.

I got one cranky old retired non bathing weirdo next door always pulls a face out his window when I fire a vehicle up, so I just torture that dude. I am friends with the locsal head police sgt guy, real cool guy, irish guy,gearhead guy he has a nice convertible firebird, so me and a couple of other dudes in the nieghborhood wot have cars have basically a 'free pass' from the cops as far as noise and goofing around etc.

Always Drive Responsibly

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

71green go

I recently moved to an older area of town......my old place was mainly yuppies that didnt understand working on old stuff.......they used to come over and stare....never complained but never understood my passion...they would get into their BMW's or Porche and drive off.....but they were super cool about it..

My new place has a 3 car detached garage.......I insulated it with noise and sound insulation which cuts out allot of noise......I keep the doors closed while grinding and banging.......no complaints at all

Anything i keep in my very long driveway is kept under tarps......

I think the key is to respect your neighbors, keep your place clean. mowed and try to keep noise levels down at night .....then what do they have to complain about?

Back N Black

I live on a court and have good neighbour's , the guy to my left is a chopper pilot and loves the charger. Every time his friends or family come to visit he always brings them over to look at the charger. The neighbour directly across from me   owns a car dealership and appreciates old cars and his son is 12 years old and a big DOH fan, so he is at the garage all the time. The other two neighbours appreciate the time and effort i put into it and they don't mind the Charger being worked on or fired up. They all drop by for a beer and shoot the shi#.

THE STIG

I've got a bunch of gearheads in the neighborhood but the ones who know what I have still don't like it much. My addition is about 2 square miles and there are about 8 Mustangs, 3 on my street alone. Last spring the guy at the end of the street was working on an engine block I pulled up in my F150 and asked if it was a 302 and we started to BS when I told him I got a 70 Charger w/ a 440 he shook his head and said he had to get back to work, and I laughed. When ever I drive by his house I rattle my pipes when I pass his house, can't wait for my 3" exhaust!!! My neighbor across the street is a cop when I first brought the car home he was cutting his grass and looked over at the car. I got the vibes that he hated it if nothing else just because he's a cop and it's a 70 Charger.

twodko

We live in a semi-rural area in a small agri town in NorCal. Used to be nothing but apple growers and poultry ranchers here and its still old school in many ways. Lots of gearheads around and many barns that house treasures for sure. We have a Foster's Freeze here which sponsors monthly cruise-ins as well as car washes that are always well attended. Unfortunately there has been an ever increasing influx of Berkeley types bringing their 'tude with them. These aberrations of the gene pool don't like anything unless it falls within their own hypocritical ideas of how Berkeley-like it should be here. Yeah, these are the ones who insist that wearing tinfoil hats will protect them from the scourge of RF etc. Its open season on 'em and their Volvo's/Pious-es!  
One neighbor across the road is a great guy and loves old iron. We're both woodworkers and make a lot 'o racket anyway. An ancient woman lives next door and she's never said anything.........Polly can't hear much. Other neighbor next door lives on 5 acres so there's no issue. Other neighbor cross the road just moved here. They've got 2 acres that was a gorgeous woodlot before with all the wildlife you'd expect therein. They clearcut the property and put up a monster house far different than the modest ranch homes already here. Needless to say no one gives a rats ass what they might think. I would never think of lighting 'em up driving by their abortion property....oh no. :poke: Haven't done it but the temptation is strong.

I like they way 71Green go said it and treat folks the same.

"I think the key is to respect your neighbors, keep your place clean. mowed and try to keep noise levels down at night .....then what do they have to complain about"  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

John_Kunkel

One next door neighbor is 80+ and near deaf, he doesn't care what I do. The other next door neighbor makes more noise than I do with their barking dog, screaming rugrats and Harley. Across the street is too far away to matter.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

derailed

Dont really know as I never really took the time to care enough.

The70RT

I respect my neighbors but if you work on your cars most everyday like I do their not gonna like it. No one likes to sit on their back deck and hear air tools.....but quiet hour around here is 11 PM. If it in nice outside my doors gonna be open...sorry. I work during the day so I work in mine at night and if it's after 11 I'm quiet. I was turned in to the city for working on cars. They said it look like I had a shop back there and I told them yeah I restore old cars. She say so these are all yours and I said yeah so what's the problem? She said I guess nothing and left.....that was 2 years ago. Just because my neighbor mowed his yard today doesn't mean I'm going to.  :-\

mopar0166

mine are great most are cops and love the charger.  They get mad sometimes if they dont hear it start up on a nice saturady night but i have one that gives me the stare everytime i drive back.  he is just a dreamer and not a do type of person

mauve66

Quote from: terrible one on December 13, 2010, 10:44:25 PM
I live in a duplex so it is a blessing that the guy sharing it with me doesn't seem to mind. It's mostly the noise factor I'm worried about though. My neighbors to one side I've never met and to the other side is another duplex and both residents there I am friends with and they congratulated me on the first start.

The neighbors across the street though, are some that I can definitely say aren't down. All I've gotten is cold stares from them since I moved here and now that the car is running, I know it's worse. When I was circling the neighborhood for the first time and squealed the tires I saw the woman grumble and shake her head to the husband. Ah well. They are always yelling and shit anyways.

One surprise when I looped around and checked my mail the other day was this older dude that came out to check the car out and shoot the shit. He knew it was a 68, said he loved the vintage mags, etc. Etc. So that was cool.

All in all I'd say my neighborhood tolerates me for the most part. I could have neighbors that were a lot less accepting so I think I lucked out.

i was wondering about the people across the street when you did your first drive, you can see someone in the driveway when you peeled out................. :2thumbs:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

mauve66

i thought everyone here was cool, about 6-8 neighbors came by in the month of Oct to check out my progress, all of them stayed and shot the breeze, then 2 wks later i get a complaint form the HOA so i know one of them turned me in (never work before 7am or after 6pm) so everything is on hold until i can get a house again................. renting sucks, you have no rights and you can't fight back
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

The70RT

Quote from: mauve66 on December 15, 2010, 10:03:05 AM
i thought everyone here was cool, about 6-8 neighbors came by in the month of Oct to check out my progress, all of them stayed and shot the breeze, then 2 wks later i get a complaint form the HOA so i know one of them turned me in (never work before 7am or after 6pm) so everything is on hold until i can get a house again................. renting sucks, you have no rights and you can't fight back

That's too bad, I know what you mean. I have neighbors come over to borrow tools or want something done for free and I have done it then they turn you in :rotz: I had one neighbor lady tell another neighbor that I was probably a drug dealer since there are a bunch of cars at my house all the time. Then she commented back and said say what?....those are all his cars  ::) So yeah kissing your neighbors ass don't always work. The lady that told me what the other said, her husband used to be a car dealer till he passed so she understands my passion for cars.