News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Will clear coat stick to bare metal?

Started by oldcarnut, December 05, 2010, 11:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I've started make my dash inserts out of stainless and achieved the finish I want after some experimenting.  I would like to clear coat to keep off finger prints etc and to clean easy but was wondering if anyone has done it to bare metal and if any special preps would be needed?  Most people with stainless appliances would know how the SS finishes show up smudges.

ODZKing

Well, I'm not sure about car body and what you're describing, but many times when I'm cleaning nuts and bolts, especially when they are visible.  I will wire-wheel them and then spary with clear simply to keep them the "metal" color.
Seems to work so far.
And frankly, if a paint would stick why wouldn't clear.  It's really nothing more than a paint.
But I'm far from an expert.  I'm sure someone can explain the properties much better than I understand thm.    :popcrn:

oldcarnut

Heres the first piece above the glovebox for what I'm talking about.  Was thinking about using some B/C exterior paint clear.  I've rattle canned nuts and bolts before too with clear engine enamel but wanted to make sure I got something that will last and durable on it.  Just figured that the paint usually has a primer under it first which I can't do here.  Also later I may be able to get it autographed by somebody special but thats on another thread so I want a good smooth surface other than the steel. The pieces are made from 11g 304SS if that matters any.

FLG

Eastwoods extreme clear, bill440rt did his billet alm serpentine setup with it (polished the setup first as well) and you can't even tell there clear coated.

bill440rt

Quote from: FLG on December 06, 2010, 12:46:20 AM
Eastwoods extreme clear, bill440rt did his billet alm serpentine setup with it (polished the setup first as well) and you can't even tell there clear coated.

:iagree:

Clarification: Do NOT use Eastwood's Diamond Clear in a rattle can, it is garbage & does not look good on polished metals despite their claims IMHO. On the other hand their Diamond Extreme Clear is awesome. Comes in a little 1/2 pint can & is very expensive, smells terrible but works terrific. Spray it on with a little touch up gun for best results. Wear gloves to avoid any fingerprints, because if they're cleared over they're there forever.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

Automotive, over-the-counter Clear Coat usually chips after a little bit...Turns Yellow if sprayed onto engine parts as well...There is a special C/C used for Bare Metal...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

oldcarnut

Thanks guys,  I'll make a trip by the paint store to see what they have and look into the Eastwood.

elitecustombody

Use Glisten PC made by POR 15 ,it's made exactly for that

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

The70RT

Quote from: elitecustombody on December 06, 2010, 10:01:22 AM
Use Glisten PC made by POR 15 ,it's made exactly for that

Thats what I used on some of my bare metal suspension parts and my gas tank.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

68blue

I would keep the dry film thickness down .5 mil or so  to help with the appearence. Clearcoating a lot of plated parts over the years or brushed aluminium, people always wanted the"invisible finish".

elacruze

Keep in mind that with Stainless Steel, rust forms in the *absence* of Oxygen, so clear coating may show pimpling or rust crazing underneath after a while.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

1969chargerrtse

Also there is satin ( flat ) clear so you don't get the shiny look.  I did my heater hose valve in it 3 years ago and it still looks ah La natural.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.