News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sill plate gap???

Started by NGC414, December 12, 2010, 09:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NGC414

Is there something that goes between the carpet and inside sill plate? I have close to a 1/2-1 inch gap. I thought it was supposed to pinch the carpet down.

Ghoste

Sounds like something is wrong.  Did you replace one of them?

NGC414

I am actually putting the car back together. Its been apart for over a year so I cant remember how it was originally or if there was a gap. Both sill plates are new. when I compaired them to the originals they looked identical. Alot of the interior is new as well.

DC_1

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

gtx6970

let me guess,,,,,, ACC carpet ?

NGC414

Im Not sure what ACC carpet is. It is an aftermarket molded carpet set. I will try to get a picture posted. I dont think it has anything to do with the carpet, maybe a trim issue or something missing. The gap is just way too wide for some reason.
:scratchchin: Is the carpet supposed to go all the way to the screw holes in the door jamb?? Anyone want to pop off a sill plate and snap a pic?
I know I have been high maintenance with questions lately LOL.

Brock Samson

Mine was too short as well, or actually too narrow at that point - just at the bottom of the door in back... needed another 1/2-3/4 of an inch, you'd think they'd leave enough material to fit under that sill plate, but nooooooooo,..  :rotz:

Ghoste

ACC is a company that makes carpet sets.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: NGC414 on December 16, 2010, 02:23:15 PM
Im Not sure what ACC carpet is. It is an aftermarket molded carpet set. I will try to get a picture posted. I dont think it has anything to do with the carpet, maybe a trim issue or something missing. The gap is just way too wide for some reason.
:scratchchin: Is the carpet supposed to go all the way to the screw holes in the door jamb?? Anyone want to pop off a sill plate and snap a pic?
I know I have been high maintenance with questions lately LOL.

You don't think anything is wrong with the carpet?

Did you put C-Body floor pans in and make the car wider?   ;D

I think the problem is the carpet....It should go up and around the vertical lip and be completely covered with the sill plate.....unless you mean something else that we are not understanding.

NGC414

The carpet does go under the sill plate, but the gap is beween the sill plate and the carpet. The sill plate sits above the carpet. It doesnt pull tight onto the carpet below it. I think the sill plate should sit directly on the carpet snug, but mine has a gap actually between the carpet and the bottom of the sill plate. Its not horozontal gap, but instead a vertical gap going up and down. The only way it could be the carpet is if its supposed to be 3 inch thick carpet. I will see if I can get a picture posted, its kind of hard to explain.
The floor plans were never changed.

Hemidog

I thought ACC carpets gave you a little "extra" for cut to fit trimming?

Neal_J

My AAC carpets have a gap.  It regularly pisses me off to look at it too.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: NGC414 on December 17, 2010, 12:33:52 PM
The carpet does go under the sill plate, but the gap is beween the sill plate and the carpet. The sill plate sits above the carpet. It doesnt pull tight onto the carpet below it. I think the sill plate should sit directly on the carpet snug, but mine has a gap actually between the carpet and the bottom of the sill plate. Its not horozontal gap, but instead a vertical gap going up and down. The only way it could be the carpet is if its supposed to be 3 inch thick carpet. I will see if I can get a picture posted, its kind of hard to explain.
The floor plans were never changed.

I was just funning with you - just my crazy sense of humor....    :cheers:

NGC414

Quote from: maxwellwedge on December 17, 2010, 05:27:59 PM

I was just funning with you - just my crazy sense of humor....    :cheers:

I figured it out. The floor pan is too wide! I discovered this thing isn't even a charger.. It's a dang 63 cadillac. :brickwall:

No seriously I did figure it out. When I took the car apart the floor pans were nice, but there was a thin metal shroud on each side that covered the wires that ran to the trunk. The thin metal shroud had some rot so I removed them, thinking they wouldn't affect anything. It seems that shroud lifts the carpet higher against the sill plate. I sat one in the passenger side and it fit nice and snug as it should.

NGC414

Does anyone know what they are called? So I can order some new ones.

Hemidog

NGC414

Yep that's it. Thanks for the link.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Neal_J on December 17, 2010, 01:41:44 PM
My AAC carpets have a gap.  It regularly pisses me off to look at it too.
That would suck.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

six-tee-nine

Thanks for letting us know what the prob was.
I have the same issue as you and was thinking about leaving the thing out uf it ends up being unsaveable..... I know that they sereve more than one purpose.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...