News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

looking for a little steering column help (69)

Started by Patronus, December 09, 2010, 12:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patronus

Im in need of some pointers regarding the steering column in my '69. I don't know how to align the sleeves so the column shift lever (auto trans) engages and moves the linkage arm connected to the trans linkage.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Patronus

So I decided to replace the old column with a floor shift version. Got the 'ol "bait and switch" off ebay...  :brickwall:
Had a question regarding the column that showed up, is the floor shift column larger in diameter than the auto column? Which column is the larger? '70???  :shruggy:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

resq302

I think all of the diameters on the columns were the same.  I think the difference is in the length for power steering vs. manual steering.  In 68 and 69 the ignition key was in the dash and starting in 70, the ignition key was in the steering column.  Thats the basic way of telling the two of them apart.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Patronus

I remember reading somewhere here that there was two different diameters, I wanted to know because I have a dispute with the seller via ebay and need to get my facts straight. Regardless, they sent a totally different item that pictured.  :down:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

rob69

P-
question:
I'm thinking of putting in correct column for my 69/auto/power/floor shift in place of my current setup:eek2: see pic.
Ive seen columns on eBay with disclaimers like "photo may not be the column we ship you" so I'm gun shy going that route. Curious, which seller you had problem with?
thanks
Rob
"..up from the ashes, grow the roses of success"

stripedelete

Quote from: resq302 on January 10, 2011, 05:18:14 PM
  I think the difference is in the length for power steering vs. manual steering. 

Switched mine many years ago.  But, I seem to remember them being "collapsible"(?).   :shruggy:

gtx6970

1968 and 1969 B body columns are the  exact same column. WITH exception ---- to column shift versus floor shift and manual versus power steering
( manual has a longer internal steering shaft ) lower coupler bodies are different between power versus manual steering as well