News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 dipstick placement: between the valve cover and manifold?

Started by bull, December 07, 2010, 08:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

When I bought my 68 the dipstick tube was bent into an S shape so that the handle would go outside the exhaust manifold. When I got a new tube it has just one bend in it at the middle like a boomerang. By the looks of it, once installed it's going to be between the manifold and valve cover. Did I get the right tube?

Just 6T9 CHGR

IIRC 68-69 had the dipstick on the outside of the manifolds....'70 started the in between the head & manifold
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

:think:

EDIT:  Chris is right. :icon_smile_blackeye:  Too much playing with headers I guess.  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

IMO, as long as it fits (without leaking) and you can read the oil/fluid level.  :Twocents:

A383Wing

I have the Daytona's tube on the outside of the manifold...using a little strap held to the manifold where the screw hole is

if ya need a picture, let me know

bull

Both tubes have the little strap or bracket held on by the motor mount bolt. They're also both the same length but they're shaped differently as I mentioned before.

I'm not going to obsess about this but if possible I'd like it to be right. Maybe I can find something in the FSM...

A383Wing

mine have that motor mount bolt strap as well, but I was referring to another strap that is up at the outside of the manifold

Bryan

bull

Quote from: A383Wing on December 07, 2010, 11:34:04 PM
mine have that motor mount bolt strap as well, but I was referring to another strap that is up at the outside of the manifold

Bryan

Both of mine only have the one at or near the middle. :scratchchin:

Nacho-RT74

I'm still wondering about one dipstick tube molded to fit with spool kind engine mounts ( not the MP one for sure )

BTW dipstick is longer on MP pieces and also reads diff
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Dans 68

FYI here is a photo of an original '68 Charger 383 2-bbl 4-speed engine bay.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Quote from: Dans 68 on December 08, 2010, 02:04:46 AM
FYI here is a photo of an original '68 Charger 383 2-bbl 4-speed engine bay.

Dan

Ooooo. :o :scratchchin: I see the HP manifold on the drivers side but does it have the log manifold on the passenger side? I believe that's the way they came.

Anyway, sorry for the hijack, bull. Oh wait, I'm bull. Uh, so yea, the dipstick is on the outside of the manifold. Any pics of the tube itself, Dan? Looks like I might be doing some bending.

Looks like I'll have to get an accordion hose for the top of the radiator too. :D

Dans 68

I'll look.... ;)  But please don't wait up, though.  :icon_smile_big:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

bull

Quote from: Dans 68 on December 08, 2010, 02:46:01 AM
I'll look.... ;)  But please don't wait up, though.  :icon_smile_big:

Dan

No, you'd better get to bed. Me too. :sleep: :sleep:

Dans 68

This is from a 2-bbl 4-speed car also. I'm not sure it's a perfect restoration ( :rotz:) but the tube bend is visible. If you need more photos I'll crawl under mine and take them for you.

Dan

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Dans 68 on December 08, 2010, 03:08:55 AM
This is from a 2-bbl 4-speed car also. I'm not sure it's a perfect restoration ( :rotz:) but the tube bend is visible. If you need more photos I'll crawl under mine and take them for you.

Dan

Tube should be left natural :nana:

Curtis, I dont believe 2bbl cars came with the HP manifolds?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

histoy

If the tube is suppose to be natural, is the dipstick handle natural also, or is it painted engine color?

maxwellwedge

Quote from: histoy on December 08, 2010, 08:29:58 AM
If the tube is suppose to be natural, is the dipstick handle natural also, or is it painted engine color?

68-69 Big Blocks

Tube - Natural - on outside of manifold
Handle - black on 69's - not sure on 68's but probably black as well

bull

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on December 08, 2010, 06:39:09 AM
Curtis, I dont believe 2bbl cars came with the HP manifolds?

From what I've been able to gather, Chris, these cars came with one HP manifold on the drivers side. IIRC this was confirmed by Dan (8WHEELER) but as usual nothing is set in stone. And I'm not sure that if this is right that it's just the 383/2bbl/4spd cars that got it. I forget now what Chrysler's reasoning was for doing that.