News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

oil pump drive (intermediate shaft)

Started by madmike, December 07, 2010, 01:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike

I'm kind of new to MoPaR big blocks.  I'm working on a 440, and I just installed a new oil pump.  My book "How to Rebuild Big Block Mopars', says to insert the oil pump drive shaft with no 1 piston at TDC, and rotate the drive shaft so that the slot at top (where the distributor engages) is parallel with the camshaft.

When I do this, my no 1 piston is at TDC, the zero mark on the balancer is in line with zero on the timing tab.  When I insert the drive gear, I can't make my slot quite perfectly parallel with the cam shaft.  If I pull it out, rotate it one tooth, it's still not quite parallel, but the slot is 'tilted' the other way.  I'm guessing this is as close to 'parallel with cam shaft' as I can make it, and that it will be OK.

What do you guys think?  Thanks!

Cooter

All that's for is so the distributor has the number one woire in the OEM correct location facing towards #1 Cyl...You can wire the distributor any way you like...You'll be ok installing the intermediate shaft where it's at. Just make sure if it's NOT the one that came out of that perticular enigne, you have enough of the HEX inside the new oil pump. I've seen pictures where the oil pump drive (Intermediate shaft) wasn't long enough as Chrysler used about 3 different int. shafts...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

madmike

Cooter:

This motor came with the rolling car, engine is supposedly 'rebuilt'.  The intermediate shaft was a loose part that came with a bunch of other parts.  I assumed it was the correct one for this engine, but you and I both know what 'assume' means...

Anyway, what length should it be, or can you direct me to a resource that would know the correct length?  It isn't too late for me to pull it out, and double check the length.  Thanks!

GreenMachine

Just get it as close to parallel as you can either direction shouldn't matter. If it's too far off, you just won't have as much travel spinning your distributor in one direction when adjusting timing due to the vacuum advance will hit something on the engine.
  All big block intermediate shafts should be the same length (about 6 3/8" measured from the base of the gear to the end of the hex).
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

madmike

GreenMachine,

That's what I thought, parallel as close as possible for max distributor rotation adjustment.  I'll double check my length, thanks!