News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adopting a needy Dog...why is it so dang difficult?

Started by ChargerBill, December 29, 2005, 05:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerBill

I've spent hours online the past week or so looking for rescued animals that need a place to live. I'm looking for a small to medium dog that has short hair, doesn't look like a stuffed toy, is around 1 to 2 years old and is good natured and friendly. I've been really looking at mixed breeds/mutts and found some great dogs out there - boxer/terrier mix. chiuaua/boxer mix, boston terrier/spitz mix, jack russel/boxer mix...anyway, everytime I call one of these places they want your income, is your yard fenced, we need to see your house, we need to interview all family members, etc... All I want is a dog for companionship that me and my daughter can love and take care of. I plan on keeping it as a house dog (no fenced yard, but a large enclosed back deck with a small runway on the ground level). Why do they make it so difficult? There have to be 10,000 homeless dogs out there - or more...don't they want them to have homes? They scare off legitimate potential adopters with their Big Brother tactics and these dogs go on being homeless living in kennels and definitely not flourishing because there aren't a lot of people wanting to adopt out there. It's almost like these adoption places want to know everything about you and then play god on deciding wether or not you're worthy of owning a dog. I can honestly see why people just go to breeders and pet stores to buy a dog. Yeah, I'm frustrated...

>end rant.
Life is a highway...

Blown70

Bill I found mine via a friend.  I have a pure BOXER.  She is the nicest dog.  Long story but it was private so they saw she got along with me very well and let me have her.

That was it.  So, I dont know if you know anyone with pets/ that would have friends that would have any.  Not sure maybe you could check with some vet clinics sometimes they may know people and not be as much an issue?

Anyway  GOOD LUCK.

Tom

Charger_Fan

Have you tried just going to an animal shelter? I haven't gotten any pets from a shelter in many years, but I know that the last time we did, their main concern was that it would be spayed/neutered & get it's shots as part of the deal. Otherwise, it was pretty painless.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

89MOPAR

Animal shelters around here want about $75 per animal. Basically it covers the cost of their innoculations and neutering. 
I didn't have a fenced yard at the time.  I think they are trying to weed out people who would just get a animal for X-mas / birthday present and then it stays on a chain in the wet yard for the next 10 years. BY making prospective owners fill out a 1/2 hr paperwork.
Went to shelter on 2 or 3 successive weekends figuring out / checking out the dogs.
Ex-girlfriend picked it, I had eyes on another , but he is great dog. So far had him 6 years
He has lasted longer than the GF did - less complaints + more loyal !

Theres a TV channel called Animal planet, they have a show called Animal Cops [?] - when you see how some folks treat / abuse/ neglect their pets , it's downright cruel - hopefully those folks will get retribution in their afterlife...
77 Ram-Charger SE factory 440 'Macho' package
03 Ram Hemi 4x4 Pickup
Noble M400
72 Satellite Sebring Plus +

Silver R/T

I was thinking about adopting from pet shelter.
heres interesting thread from one of my favorite forums
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/different-kind-hot-rod-50757.html
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chris G.

Quote from: 89MOPAR on December 29, 2005, 07:45:24 PMTheres a TV channel called Animal planet, they have a show called Animal Cops [?] - when you see how some folks treat / abuse/ neglect their pets , it's downright cruel - hopefully those folks will get retribution in their afterlife...

I have seen that show many times. I wonder what it takes to be one of those officers? I wouldn't mind doing it.

CBill, if it's so frustrating, then just go buy one from the store or breeder. You showing frustration and impatience is exactly what these rescue groups don't want.

If you do go to a breeder, I would suggest a Beagle or Jack Russell. They are both very energetic and friendly around people. I can only speak for a Beagle when I say the closeness is indescribable. My Beagle needs to be where you are and wants your love at all times.

GTX

My German Shepard has severe health problems combined with old age and we're going to have to put her down shortly I'm afraid. :rotz: :icon_smile_sad:
She was very abused by her previous owner but after getting used to us has been the best dog I've ever had out of many.  She was beaten, starved, shot by a pellet gun and has the pellet lodged in her back still, she had a severe infection that almost went to her brain,  had cancer and beat it, survived multiple operations, survived an attempted poisoning and suffered severe siezures and has had a neurological problem from that for the last 3 years. Still, she has made it to old age with us!
Best damn dog I ever had!

We want another GSD and plan to replace her with a rescued dog and found a German Shepard rescue place up in Northern Utah that we'll probably call. We think adopting a needy dog is the best way to go. I found this local place by doing a google search.

Sorry for the long post, it's been on our minds lately.

Silver R/T

Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 29, 2005, 08:08:41 PM
Quote from: 89MOPAR on December 29, 2005, 07:45:24 PMTheres a TV channel called Animal planet, they have a show called Animal Cops [?] - when you see how some folks treat / abuse/ neglect their pets , it's downright cruel - hopefully those folks will get retribution in their afterlife...

arent beagles digging holes in your yard like crazy? my former boss used to have one and that dog made a mess

I have seen that show many times. I wonder what it takes to be one of those officers? I wouldn't mind doing it.

CBill, if it's so frustrating, then just go buy one from the store or breeder. You showing frustration and impatience is exactly what these rescue groups don't want.

If you do go to a breeder, I would suggest a Beagle or Jack Russell. They are both very energetic and friendly around people. I can only speak for a Beagle when I say the closeness is indescribable. My Beagle needs to be where you are and wants your love at all times.

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Chris G.

Quote from: Silver R/T on December 29, 2005, 08:37:24 PM
Quote from: Burnt70R/T on December 29, 2005, 08:08:41 PM

arent beagles digging holes in your yard like crazy? my former boss used to have one and that dog made a mess

Silver (aka #1 on my list), are you asking if they dig? A lot of dogs will dig if you don't pay attention. My Beagle does not dig, and we also don't leave her alone outside by herself. The owner decides what a dog can/will do and what a dog won't do. I have never met another Beagle owner who didn't love their dog. The howling is the hardest thing you need to deal with. She can howl with the best of them, which I love.

74-StreetMachine

I hear ya, I just went through the same thing. Lots of questions, some a little too personal. Any two drunk  horny teenagers can climb into the back seat of a car and make a baby. I have to get APPROVED to own a dog.

Here is a pic of my old Beagle,Magnum,  she was a good dog but VERY hyper. Her two favorite hobbies were begging for food and running away. Beagles are very stubborn dogs,and hard to train. I would recommend a mix.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/74dodge@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/a0ae&.dnm=5241re2.jpg&.src=ph

Here are some pics of my new dog. Her name is Ginger, that's the name she came with. But after watching her run I shoulda named her Speedway or Short Track.  I got her from a local mission called Hope Safe House.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/74dodge@sbcglobal.net/album?.dir=/a0ae

She is a Beagle/Sheltie mix. Awesome dog!!!!   Very smart and easy to train. Doesn't bark much. Layed back too. And she keeps my yard clear of critters. So far she has caught two mice, three Chipmunks and three squirrels. And she's only been here for 10 months.

I would also recommend a female dog, they are a little more relaxed. Male dogs feel they own everything and pee on it.

Randy

Watch me turn beer into pee for $5.

Chris G.

Quote from: 74-StreetMachine on December 29, 2005, 09:25:50 PM
Here is a pic of my old Beagle,Magnum,   she was a good dog but VERY hyper. Her two favorite hobbies were begging for food and running away. Beagles are very stubborn dogs,and hard to train. I would recommend a mix.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/74dodge@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=/a0ae&.dnm=5241re2.jpg&.src=ph

Wow, your Beagle looks alot like mine. Mine is very good with commands, although she does like her Independence and has run off to explore. Yes she does beg for treats all the time, but I get used to saying no. The fact that she is so affectionate makes her so great. The last thing I wanted was some dog or cat that did their own thing and only came to you around feeding time.

ps- Here's mine, but her Daddy ain't got no Hemi like your pup does.   ;)

Arigmaster

I understand how you feel about all the personal questions....

It is a necessary evil though because many dogs from rescue groups and/or shelters have come from homes where they might have been neglected or abused. Some have health issues as well. The reasons for all these questions it only to fit the right dog into the right family. This prevents the possibility of a mis-match later.

Some people will adopt with all the best intentions in the world but they discover later that the dog may not be a good fit with their kids, other pets, furnature, etc. We have fostered a couple dogs for "Playing Again Sams of Wisconsin"  (Samoyed Rescue) after we lost one of ours due to changes in her personality (part wolf) and she became agressive.

Some breeds and even mutts have needs for a large excersize area, or there is a concern that they will be bums and wander off causing havoc with neighbors, neighbors pets, or kids. Some dogs may have other issues like food agression, obsessive chewing, digging, or some may startle easily or even bite if their space is invaded by someone who is not aware of the dogs past.

So, the whole reason behind it is just to make sure that the right dog goes to the right family...nothing more.

We have one in foster right now that was a real neglect case. He is doing so much better now and we even considered keeping him but there is only one thing that we just can't break him of....He "really" wants to eat the cats.

He is great with all people, kids, and other "alike size" dogs. He tore up a small Jack Russell Terrier this past summer. Mistaken Identity?  We really don't know but that's only a few of the things that can happen with adopting from the pound or from a rescue group. He is really a sweet dog but we have to be careful of where he ends up. We also train them to a different name when they come into rescue too. Their old name may bring back "BAD" memories.   

Here are a couple before / after pics so you can see the changes these guys go through....

Arigmaster

Not trying to be a thread hog but wanted to pass this one on too...

Neal_J

CB:

You might try www.milofoundation.org in Berkeley.   

We got our mutt there.   Cheap, spayed/neutered, with shots & no hassles.

They have pics & descriptions on their website.

Cheers

Neal

BigBlockSam

i got my Bo dog at the north shore animal league. they asked all kinds of questions and i had to have 2 people they can call on the phone while i was there for references. i got her when she was 5 months old. now shes 15 yrs old. she's got all kinds of heath problems but she's not hurting and still having fun. i know she won't be around for much longer. the day after i have to put her down.   i will go back there for my next dog. she's my little partner and i will miss her. Rene

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

TheGhost

We bought our dog from the local animal shelter.  Cost us $10, I think.  He was a couple months old then, now he is 9 years old, and is basically an 80 lb baby.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

71charger_fan

Bill,

If you lived near me, I'd let you check out my dog. I've been offered a job overseas and took it. Unfortunately, living in Egypt is less than ideal for our 85lb Great Pyrenees. We've been looking for someone to take her in. On the up side, we don't move until next summer so I've got plenty of time to find a good home for her. Sweetest dog I've ever owned and I've had some really nice dogs.

bull

Quote from: 71charger_fan on January 01, 2006, 10:06:46 AM
Bill,

If you lived near me, I'd let you check out my dog. I've been offered a job overseas and took it. Unfortunately, living in Egypt is less than ideal for our 85lb Great Pyrenees. We've been looking for someone to take her in. On the up side, we don't move until next summer so I've got plenty of time to find a good home for her. Sweetest dog I've ever owned and I've had some really nice dogs.

This may sound knda goofy but you could ship her to Bill through one of the airlines in a pet carrier, but she doesn't really sound like the kind of critter he wants.

We got our dog, Jesse, at the county animal shelter about 6 years ago and I think it cost around $80 for everything minus the paperwork/background check hassle. I never have figured out why she was abandoned because she's the sweetest dog on the planet. She's a Spaniel mix that weighs about 40 lbs., very good with my small kids, very obedient and full of energy without being obnoxiously so. I wasn't too impressed with the Jack Russel breed. My brother had one and that thing drove me up a wall when I had to take care of him for a few weeks. Major spaz. Pissed all over the floor and my feet every time I went out in the garage because it got so wound up.

THE COLONEL

That sounds like what we went through to get a cat.  My wife had wanted another cat for sometime now, and we went to PetSmart looking at cats for a couple weeks, when we finally found one.  We went to fill out the application and they said they would call us and ask a few questions.  They called that same night and were saying to us also that they want to come and see the house where the cat will live.  Now if they thought they were getting the golden tour of my house they were gravely mistaken.  They also asked if the rest of our animals were up to date on shots.  Our Bassett Hound is, but our other cat is not.  She has not been to the vet in years.  She has never been out of the house, so why would I get a rabis shot, or other shots.  Is a raccoon going to come in our house and bite just her?  Anyway, the lady calls back the next day and mentions our cat not being to the vet, and starts to lecture me on the phone abut our 7 year old cat.  Needless to say I was quite pissed and gave it right back to her.  I swear that the Childrens Youth Services in Pennsylvania is not as bad as trying to adopt a cat.  I basically told the woman If you don't want to give the cat a loving home that's fine, but I can go down the street and get one for free if I want.  A week later we were checking out or local Humain Society and came home with a great loving cat.
"THE COLONEL....DIFFERENT RANK...SAME ATTITUDE"

ChargerBill

An 85lb Great Pyrenees is a little big for what I want...I'm hoping to stay 25lbs or under. The other problem is this, the OWNER of the house has NO problem with me owning a house trained dog, however, the property management company that she hired to manage this house says I must pay a $900 cleaning deposit and they must be able to inspect the house once every 3 months. The BS of it is this, if it were a cat, they wouldn't care at all. Does that make ANY sense? Because it doesn't to me. In nearly 2 years they have never come around or checked up on me, so I figure a small dog would be easier to keep out of sight and easier to manage. I am actually looking at moving soon anyway, this house has NO insulation and my heating bills really suck. To keep the house at or above 65 during the winter I have to either run the propane furnace continuosly or burn wood. I didn't get enough oak this summer, so I'm having to resort to dirty burning pine or using propane at $3/gal. So, if they decided to ask me to leave in 6 months because they found out I had a dog, I wouldn't be too upset.

I like dogs a lot myself, but If I didn't have a 12 year old daughter I wouldn't be so bent on getting one. I remember my two dogs when I was growing up (great memories) and I think every kid benefits from having a pet they can pal around and cuddle with...and the responsibility it teaches is invaluable as well.

As far as the adoption places, IMO it is ridiculous that they are SO intrusive...way beyond what is necessary. I have seen friends become forster parents with seemingly less intrusion and strong arm tactics in the process. The way they act toward potential adopting homes is completely counterproductive to placing the animals...like I said, it's easier to pick a puppy out of a box in front of Safeway.
Life is a highway...

Old Moparz

Charger Bill,

Do any of your local newspapers have a pet section in the classified? The paper by me does, & there's way too many available. My wife & I have used it to get some stray kittens that were dumped off on our property adopted & it worked fast. We also had adopted a kitten once from the same paper. They're either up for adoption through private parties, or for sale from breeders.

The only other thing I can think of, is to check behind a few Asian restaurants to see if they have a few tied up near the kitchen delivery entrance.  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Silver R/T

Quote from: BigBlockSam on December 30, 2005, 06:35:44 PM
i got my Bo dog at the north shore animal league. they asked all kinds of questions and i had to have 2 people they can call on the phone while i was there for references. i got her when she was 5 months old. now shes 15 yrs old. she's got all kinds of heath problems but she's not hurting and still having fun. i know she won't be around for much longer. the day after i have to put her down.  i will go back there for my next dog. she's my little partner and i will miss her. Rene

why putting it down. We had many dogs over the years and cats too. We never put them down. If they die they die and I dont feel like killing them

2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BigBlockSam

i would only put her down if she was suffering. i won't let her suffer for weeks or months till she dies.  i pray that i don't have to make that decision . it wouldn't be easy. Rene

71charger_fan

"An 85lb Great Pyrenees is a little big for what I want"

You don't know what you're missing. Besides, for a Pyrenees, she's small.

psykicpup

hi bill
unfortunately these places have been taken advantage of by un scrupulus people.
they have in the past given dogs to people who have used them in puppy farms orjust purely for thier pelts
or worse to breed indiscrimately so bad dogs become worse ones...

just let them see your place & the love you have.....
my daughter & boyfriend 'Sunny Sunday'

DFPA and proud of it!