News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tranny mounting-rubber, urethane, spools, crossmembers...what to do?

Started by elacruze, December 02, 2010, 07:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elacruze

I was gathering pieces to prep the driveline install, doing Ron's engine mount mod, and one of the guys suggested I toss the rubber single-post 4-speed mount for urethane.
I haven't seen any traffic that says the stock mounts are problematic, and a forum search didn't turn up any notable threads. I see that urethane is available through a number of vendors.

Is a change necessary? Can I upgrade to the spool mount with just a crossmember and spool? If I can, is it better?

I'm the guy who's never broken a motor mount, but I intend to try. I want to keep vibration down as much as possible, but not at the expense of durability.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

firefighter3931

Hi Eric  :wave:

FWIW, mine has all rubber mounts with the DS bolt upgrade as you know. Urethane will transfer more vibration so the ride will be harsher. I've never broken a rubber tranny mount with a 727 trans.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

elacruze

Thanks Ron, I'll save the $$ then.

Is a spool mount even possible without cutting and welding?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

firefighter3931

Quote from: elacruze on December 03, 2010, 08:03:42 AM
Thanks Ron, I'll save the $$ then.

Is a spool mount even possible without cutting and welding?

Not sure on the spool question Eric.  :scratchchin:

I'm sure the later mount could be made to work but i've never attempted it  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs