News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question about changing drum brakes to disc

Started by sixpack_sid, December 04, 2010, 08:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a 68 Charger and I am doing a changeover from front drum to front disc brakes.
I bought a brake conversion kit from The Right Stuff, and the brake booster & mc that they gave me was for a hemi. The bracket included, brought the booster & mc out too far into the engine bay. I wasn't happy with that look so I sent back the booster, bracket & mc. I have the original booster & MC, but that is for front drum brakes. Would the originals work ok with the front disc brakes? I found a rebuilt MC & booster at the auto parts store. Would I be better off going with the new MC & booster for front disc brakes? Also, there is a new proportioning valve included in the kit. There is an electric plug on the prop valve. What is that used for? I have a plug on the original MC, but the plug won't fit on the new prop valve because the prongs are too big. There is a prop valve on the car already, but that's for the drum brakes. I would like to put the new valve on, but the instructions didn't go into how to change out the valve or where to put it. On the kit it just had to change the front spindles and the new brake hardware and from there it goes into a new flex hose. I need to go from there to the prop valve to the master cylinder. Any help would be appreciated!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

sixpack_sid

Here's a pic of the old prop valve
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

sixpack_sid

b5blue

I had bad parts from Right Stuff and will not be buying from them again. Is that their valve? All you need is an adjustable reducer to the rears plumbed in to the single line that runs to the back. Have you read Mopar Action's Disco Tech article?  :2thumbs:

Cooter

OR, you coulda simply gotten any 1973-76 A-body stuff including the prop valve and been done with it...But, you got what you got, so....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

b5blue

The adjustable allows fine tuning for best operation.

sixpack_sid

Thanks b5blue for the info on the Mopar Tech article. That helps. So I'll use the new prop valve and hopefully it should work. I've been looking for a brake booster & master cylinder. I can't find the booster. Any ideas on a good place to buy one? Or can I use my original booster?

b5blue

sixpack_sid

Quote from: b5blue on December 07, 2010, 07:14:14 AM
Stock booster is fine.  :2thumbs:

But my booster is for front drum brakes? Do I need a booster for front disc brakes?

b5blue

Boosters don't care, just be sure the adjuster nut on the output rod is adjusted for/to the M/C plungers depth.  :2thumbs:

gtx6970

What I want to know is,,
when using the OEM factory disc brakes off , say a Volare as an example on a 1969 and older B-body. You have to mount the calipers to the rear...but my question is,,

what is everyone using for flex lines off the frame rail line/bracket to the caliper

BigBlockSam

got the kit off of ebay . everything included . $419 . all mopar parts . they stop on a dime . i painted the calipers black . there manual brakes but they feel like power brakes . i'm very happy wit them  :cheers:

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

b5blue

sixpack_sid

I've been calling around and cannot find a disc brake booster anywhere. I've been told they can rebuild the one I have. I tried thru A1 Cardone but there are 2 part #s for the booster-1 for disc and 1 for drum. After more searching, I found out the difference between the front disc and front drum booster. The front disc has a tandem diaphram where the front drum has a single diaphram. I was told by another co. that if I get a tandem diaphram booster, I also will need a bracket to mount it up. This co. told me that they can rebuild the one I have and use it for the front disc brakes. I'm leaning that way, since I cannot fiind a front disk booster. Any advice?

BigBlockSam

i picked up my tandem diaphram booster at a local parts store . they used them in a lot of different cars . napa should have it
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Rayzor

Quote from: gtx6970 on December 09, 2010, 02:51:59 PM
What I want to know is,,
when using the OEM factory disc brakes off , say a Volare as an example on a 1969 and older B-body. You have to mount the calipers to the rear...but my question is,,

what is everyone using for flex lines off the frame rail line/bracket to the caliper
Depends on what calipers you run. I am using the sliders and big brakes off a 78 Cordoba. The rubber lines from a 1980 St. Regis where a real good fit on my 68. They are True stop brake hoses Part number#UTS4136828 and were 15.49 for the pair.