News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Key Dilemma ***The Saga Continues***

Started by chargd72, February 09, 2011, 11:01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

I thought this wouldn't be such a problem.  When I bought my Charger, the owner lost the original keys.  Now that I have the column off I thought I could take the title and get a dealer to make me a new one.  They can't.  Or I thought a locksmith would be able to make me a new one.  They can't.  Where do I go from here?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

lisiecki1

a locksmith can't re-key your car?

you could try texas acres for a matching set (column, doors, trunk)....
Remember the average response time to a 911 call is over 4 minutes.

The average response time of a 357 magnum is 1400 FPS.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52527.0.html

chargd72

Quote from: lisiecki1 on February 09, 2011, 03:18:58 PM
a locksmith can't re-key your car?

I know!  I can't find anyone that does locks before 1985.  :brickwall:

As for Texas Acres, I'm trying to not have to change everything out but I will if it's my last option.  If I can even find a matching set.  It just amazes me that no one can make me a replacement key.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

terrible one

Wow dude that sucks! I guess I took my local locksmith back home for granted! I just popped out a door lock (same as ign), brought it to him, and he made me a set of keys for about $5 . . . no shit. There's got to be SOMEONE who can do it. :scratchchin:

Chatt69chgr

I'm thinking the door key and ign key are the same.  Take door lock out and let the locksmith make one for that.  Key blanks with Chrysler logo are available from Year One and others.

Troy

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on February 09, 2011, 04:13:46 PM
I'm thinking the door key and ign key are the same.  Take door lock out and let the locksmith make one for that.  Key blanks with Chrysler logo are available from Year One and others.
I agree.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

lisiecki1

if worse comes to worse i'd be glad to try and hand make one for you.....i love a good challenge  :icon_smile_big:

chargd72

I'm glad you guys are confirming that you can just pop out a door lock and have one remade.  I read that all over online but everyone here says my car is 'too old.'  I tried 5 lock smiths today and maybe they were just the wrong 5.  There are plenty more in town.  I'll stay on it until I find the right person.  Thanks!

lisiecki1

you might have better luck if you can find a mom and pop type of operation....those old guys have the goods  :2thumbs:

Ghoste

That's just really sad that five locksmiths said "no way" to something that isn't that terribly difficult.

Cooter

It's not a situation where it's the cutting of the key that's the problem, it's having the CORRECT key blanks...And if you bring in your own key blanks, that cuts dude out of his profit and the FIRST thing he/she knows your gonna do if the key that is cut doesn't work, is be back the next day bitchin' about how he/she owes you for a new set of key blanks for your car.....Therefore, making NOT worth his/her while to do...Simple economics..
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

chargd72

Quote from: lisiecki1 on February 09, 2011, 05:55:50 PM
you might have better luck if you can find a mom and pop type of operation....those old guys have the goods  :2thumbs:

This might be the answer.  Every place I called today had a female "receptionist" that only took information so I never really got in touch with a technician to see if he could help me out. 

FLG

Ryan,

If you still dont find someone send me one of your door locks and ill get some made for ya  :2thumbs:

Ill make one and send it back just to make sure your ignition is the same and we dont make a bunch of keys that just open doors. How about the trunk? Need one for that too?

greenpigs

Quote from: Cooter on February 09, 2011, 08:07:46 PM
It's not a situation where it's the cutting of the key that's the problem, it's having the CORRECT key blanks...And if you bring in your own key blanks, that cuts dude out of his profit and the FIRST thing he/she knows your gonna do if the key that is cut doesn't work, is be back the next day bitchin' about how he/she owes you for a new set of key blanks for your car.....Therefore, making NOT worth his/her while to do...Simple economics..

Which would be true if they suck.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

chargd72

Frank!  Coming thru again!  Thanks man, I will do some hunting around here and let you know what I find out.  Throttle stud is set, btw.  :2thumbs: 

I already have the trunk lock detached.  Does that take a different key from the door/ignition?

FLG

Anytime.

Yes sir, different style key too.

chargd72

Good to know.  I'm going to order some blanks today.

chargd72

So I got my blanks in, popped out the door and trunk locks and brought them into one of the locksmiths that said they couldn't do it.  Turns out when you're standing there with the parts, they can.  It was $50 to get the keys made and they looked good.  Got home to test them out.  Trunk lock turned, both door locks turned, ignition...  would not turn, ugh.  I tried a little graphite powder and still nothing.  I'm assuming since it's all mechanical there's nothing that would hinder it from moving if the column is off the car, right???  :shruggy:  Anyway, so now I stripped the damn thing down to pull the ignition cylinder and will take it to the same locksmith.  Hopefully it's something that's just jamming it and I don't need to get another key made.

lisiecki1

it's possible that the column cylinder was changed....i had 3 keys for my charger for a long time back when i use to drive it every day