News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

E-code headlamp upgrade - another option

Started by 471_Magnum, December 02, 2010, 01:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

471_Magnum

I just wrapped-up the project of installing headlamp relays on my 72 Roadrunner. I can now safely move on to the second phase of the project which is the installation of some upgraded lamps replacing the old sealed beams.

On my Charger, I ran Hella H1 & H4 E-code conversion lamps. I really liked the performance and am considering them for the Roadrunner. I have two reservations associated with using these on the Roadrunner though:
1)   They are expensive. A set of these will set me back about $160 using the cheapest source that I have found.
2)   I think the flat lenses are going to look odd. Not a concern with the concealed lamps on the Charger, but they would be out there for the world to see on the Roadrunner.

I have discovered some less expensive alternatives.

The India-made AutoPal units are quite inexpensive, but I've heard reports of subpar quality, and I'm not sure that they have E-code certification. These also have flat lenses from what I can tell. These can be found through a couple of vendors on Ebay.

Another inexpensive alternative is the units from NeoLite. These too are India-made, I have read on other non-Mopar forums that the quality is pretty good. In addition, they produce both flat lens and curved lens versions. There is a problem with these though. The only North American vendor I have found (ClassicGarage.com) is out of stock on the H1 high beams and don't anticipate additional inventory until next summer.

So I'm currently searching for other options and looking for suggestions. The requirements are pretty simple:

• Must be reasonably priced (< $150 for a set)
  • Prefer to have curved fluted lenses
  • Must have ECE/E-code or DOT/FMVSS certification.

I haven't ruled out the Hellas by any means. Some old Marchals or Cibies would be cool too. With the end of the driving season upon us, I've got plenty of time between now and Spring to find a bargain or alternative.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

ChargerST

Hella makes curved headlamps, not only flat ones! I think dkn1997 uses them.

These headlights were OEM on BMW 3-series in the 70s/80s.

Bosch also makes curved 5 3/4" lamps.

471_Magnum

Quote from: ChargerST on December 02, 2010, 04:51:29 PM

Not anymore. Can't find them anywhere. Only flat lens lamps listed in their catalog.

As far as the Bosches go, can't even find a 5.75" H4 much less a curved lens one.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have the Autopal lights in my car....not sure of the rating though.  They are FLAT but like you said on a Charger with hideaways it doesnt matter much....

Since this pic I have installed the high beams as well.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

ChargerST

Quote from: 471_Magnum on December 02, 2010, 04:56:17 PM
Quote from: ChargerST on December 02, 2010, 04:51:29 PM

Not anymore. Can't find them anywhere. Only flat lens lamps listed in their catalog.

As far as the Bosches go, can't even find a 5.75" H4 much less a curved lens one.

Most be a European thing then.. can get them here.

471_Magnum

A little more research as revealed that Bosch has disco'd their 5.75 E-codes. They were sold domestically as motorcycle headlamps, but no more.

I'll keep watching Ebay for some alternatives, but it looks like the flat lens Hellas are going to be the only way to go.

471_Magnum

Something else about the Hellas, the H4s and H1s don't seem to "match". The H4 lenses protrude much more.

I seem to recall this same issue on the ones I ran on my Charger. My highs and lows were of different vintage purchased from different sources, so I just assumed the age difference to be the reason. Looking at Hella's catalog though, this seems to be the norm.

Hmm....

471_Magnum

Here's another option. Curved lenses to boot and manufactured in Europe.
http://www.deltalights.com/

Only drawback I see is the H4 vs H1 on the high beam.

Not cheap either. Haven't seen any E-bay bargains. I can actually get Hellas for less.

Nacho-RT74

I simply have curved WAGNER on Hi and GE on Lo headlights ... Halogen. they usually are easy to find at parts stores and gas stations down here... they are becoming not that easy latelly though!

would like to match same brand on Hi and Lo beams :)

both brands I have on my car are same curved. Only diff really is the lense partition to refraction
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

471_Magnum

I ordered a complete set of the Deltas from Summit Racing. I probably won't get to open them until Christmas, but once I do I'll report back with a review.

HOTROD

JEGS - has tri-bar headlights 5 3/4
JCW -has Pilot /halogen headlamp conversion kits -there kit is not a kit ,
a kit  to  me is every thing you need to replace your lights  like- wire,housing,bulbs and relays !! :slap:
What the Hell-Dumass !

471_Magnum

Got the Deltas today. Construction looks pretty good, probably as good as the Hellas. Not real hip on the BIG bulb shield on the high/lows. We'll have wait and see how they perform until after Christmas.

Kit=Pair of lamps complete with bulbs.

Tri-Bars are not ECE or DOT approved. Wouldn't put them on a lawn tractor. They don't look remotely stock either.