News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood pins!! '69 RT/SE J45 code **UPDATED PICS!** 2/16/15

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, November 30, 2010, 07:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bill440rt on January 27, 2015, 08:36:52 PM

Let me know when that day comes, bro!  :icon_smile_wink:  :cheers: :cheers:   :buff:

What?  go back to R6 or the even sooner day of adding the hood pins?  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemigeno on January 28, 2015, 05:29:13 PM
Quote from: RJS on January 28, 2015, 10:59:30 AM
Chris I looked at all the pictures from that R6 Charger and see something odd.  Factory hood pins always had a flat round washer under them not the serrated washer that the repro. kits provide.  Now we all know that I don't know a Charger from a Neon but what's everyone's thoughts?????
Ron :shruggy:

While I agree that later years did use a flat washer, '69 was a different animal.

The bottom pic below is from an untouched, 11,000 mile '69 Daytona, just as a "for instance".  Even though the Daytona's hood pins would have been installed by Creative Industries I would have suspected that any assembly-plant installed hood pins from a '69 model would also have the same washer. **

** The REALLY insane crowd -- and yours truly is guilty as charged -- will also compare the width of the "star" locking flange on the washers... we've observed both wide (as on the R6 Charger) and skinny (as on the F5 Daytona) used in '69.  Yes, I already know I'm nuts...  

Nice pics Geno! yup definitely a serrated washer under there.  According to the owner, the pins were never removed prior to these pics taken.

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Just 6T9 CHGR

As a side note, they also mentioned to me that the original cable length was 18"  This time around they went with the 23" length due to the fact that the cables were kinda tight & would rub the hood paint off the edge a lot

Looking at this pic you can see how tight they were & if you look close you can see a slightly different shade of red where he touched up the hood in the past
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RJS

So then Chrysler aftermarket copied the "one year" hood pin and not the multi-year pin set-up?   Interesting.

Chris DO NOT put that nonsense on your car you'll regret it for many reasons. They look silly that far up on the hood.
Ron

hemigeno

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on January 28, 2015, 06:01:11 PM

Nice pics Geno! yup definitely a serrated washer under there.  According to the owner, the pins were never removed prior to these pics taken.

:cheers:   

Below is a cropped a photo I took from Jim McCauley's time-capsule F5 Daytona (not the one in the earlier pic), and it has the wider-tab version of the washer which matches the one on that R6 car.  Either would be considered correct for a '69, IMHO anyway.

TUFCAT

Thanks for breaking the ice RJS.  I would agree with you on 69's.   For some reason I like them more on 70's.  :Twocents: :Twocents:  In my opinion if given the option, I could live without hood pins all together, except for the 1970 and 1971 'Cuda's.  :2thumbs:  

RJS

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 28, 2015, 07:21:15 PM
Thanks for breaking the ice RJS.  I would agree with you on 69's.   For some reason I like them more on 70's.   :Twocents: :Twocents:  In my opinion, given the option, I could live without them all together, except for on 1970 and 1971 'Cuda's.  :2thumbs:  

You'll notice when it comes to Chris I "break" a lot of thing!!!! :nana:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: RJS on January 28, 2015, 07:28:40 PM
Quote from: TUFCAT on January 28, 2015, 07:21:15 PM
Thanks for breaking the ice RJS.  I would agree with you on 69's.   For some reason I like them more on 70's.   :Twocents: :Twocents:  In my opinion, given the option, I could live without them all together, except for on 1970 and 1971 'Cuda's.  :2thumbs:  

You'll notice when it comes to Chris I "break" a lot of thing!!!! :nana:

Yeah yeah.... but while I value your opinion oh wise one, the urge to do something different is great....even though the V21 was done last season I need new change this season!!  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Chris, any thoughts as to the timeline when the cable length changed?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on January 29, 2015, 10:19:04 AM
Chris, any thoughts as to the timeline when the cable length changed?

No time line Shawn....the original owner told me his originals were 18"  He took it upon himself to use the 23" this time due to the hood rub...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Sorry, I took it as a running change and I was going to start looking for connections. :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Some updated pics witth he 23" longer cables...Not sure if Im feeling the longer cable.

On a side note found this sweet B5 blue exmple with the pins & the factory 18" cables :drool5:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

bakerhillpins

Gotta say I don't see how the rubbing problem is going to go away with the longer cables.  :shruggy:  I would think the rubbing would be more prevalent in the longer cable situations since there is more there to sway in the breeze.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

MxRacer855

:2thumbs:

I'll post mine very shortly when it leaves the shop after some nice, pretty, black paint.  ;D

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: bakerhillpins on February 17, 2015, 08:52:17 AM
Gotta say I don't see how the rubbing problem is going to go away with the longer cables.  :shruggy:  I would think the rubbing would be more prevalent in the longer cable situations since there is more there to sway in the breeze.

:iagree:

Quote from: MxRacer855 on February 17, 2015, 01:42:58 PM
:2thumbs:

I'll post mine very shortly when it leaves the shop after some nice, pretty, black paint.  ;D
:thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T