News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looks like a electric car future means more jobs.

Started by 1969chargerrtse, November 30, 2010, 06:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1969chargerrtse

GM, Chrysler each to hire 1,000 engineers 11.30.10, 02:41 PM EST  

HAMTRAMCK, Mich. -- General Motors Co. said Tuesday it will hire 1,000 additional engineers and researchers in the Detroit area as it moves toward the next generation of electric vehicle technology.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/11/30/business-us-gm-jobs_8171808.html?boxes=Homepagebusinessnews

The hiring was announced by CEO Dan Akerson during a ceremony as the company prepares to deliver the first Chevrolet Volt rechargeable electric cars to customers. Akerson also disclosed that GM is selling the $41,000 Volt at "close to cost," but said its vehicles of the future will benefit from Volt technology

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

Mike DC

It's nice that those are not only more jobs, but actually jobs for engineers & researchers.  That's the modern middle class.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 30, 2010, 06:43:09 PM
It's nice that those are not only more jobs, but actually jobs for engineers & researchers.  That's the modern middle class.

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

vancamp

has anyone heard of a warning to firefighters that in an accident the chevy volts batteries could engergize the body of the car causing electricution if touched..something we were told at our local vfd

Brock Samson

Dangers from electric car systems were mentioned in a "Motor Week" test of the Nissan Leaf last week.

bull

It'd be better if the purchase of these cars were not being subsidized by the government in the form of kickbacks so the jobs were more real market jobs rather than an Uncle Sam propup. But compared to what they charge for them it's probably a drop in the bucket. Still, they're spending dollars to save dimes. Kind of like the recycling program in my area that now requires that three trucks drive around to pick up garbage, recycling and yard debris instead of just one truck to pick up garbage. Or the particulate trap mufflers on our buses that cost $7k each plus labor to install and clean and yet all they do is prevent diesel particulates from floating around in the air for a few minutes. Instead they spend all this time, fuel and money to blow the soot out and haul it to a landfill. :rotz:

Ghoste

Which is why it's just good pr, no real substance.

stripedelete

Quote from: vancamp on November 30, 2010, 06:52:15 PM
has anyone heard of a warning to firefighters that in an accident the chevy volts batteries could engergize the body of the car causing electricution if touched..something we were told at our local vfd

Saw something on t.v. a couple days ago about GM is sponsored seminars addressing those issues with fire departments around the country.   They did show an actual seminar.