News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anybody ever throw a 360 crank into a 318?

Started by XXSpiralXX, August 01, 2005, 09:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XXSpiralXX

Im sure its feasible as they make real big la's now but what would my cubes be with that if I punched it 40 over? My friends father gave me a whole shitload of stuff including a newly machined 360 crank. I missed out on the rebuilt 360 and 904 though  :(    Also got a really messed up craftsman box that Im redoing and a bunch of tools and cool old stuff. ( I love it when old gearheads move and leave all the crap behind. )
   But anyway enough of my ranting, what rods would I have to use with that crank and how easy would it be to get it together. Im on shoestrings here but im determined to get this thing fast. I need to have people go wow at more than its crappy appearance !!

Chryco Psycho

Umm sure you could cut a 360 crank down & put it into a 318 & at 40 over you should end up in the 350 ci range ... the real question is WHY ?
w

XXSpiralXX

Well, I guess cuz nobodys done it before. Same reason I want to destroke a poncho 455.

RD

its been done, but its just not economically feasible.  not when you can get 4" stroker cranks for $250-$300.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

XXSpiralXX

This is true. The thing is Its what I have. I hate wasting parts. The only truly expensive parts I can think of with this are the rods.

Steve P.

I have a 360" that may need a new home. A couple hundred and it's yours.. I have good heads too!!

s.pod@verizon.net
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

XXSpiralXX

Quote from: Steve P. on August 04, 2005, 10:33:21 PM
I have a 360" that may need a new home. A couple hundred and it's yours.. I have good heads too!!

s.pod@verizon.net

Ummm...........  Youre in florida? FLORIDA? You know how much shipping is gonna be to ny? Man for that price I can get the 340 R block from chrysler and throw the 360 crank in THAT instead.  :icon_smile_big:     Too bad youre not closer. And where the hell were you three years ago when I went nuts trying to find a 360?  Huh!?

Steve P.

I went through the same thing looking everywhere and not finding anything.. By the time I found this one I had sold the truck it was for and bought another 65' Coronet!!  Now we are getting real close to moving back to upstate NY and it's one more thing I will have to move.. Where are you in NY????

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

The Mad Scientist

360's have bigger main journals.  You'd need to take all the surface hardening and thensome off the mains to make it actually fit in a 318.  It's a bad idea, especially for a performance motor.  If you need to build a stroker teen get a stroker crank for the 318/340 main journal size.  Not sure what kind of rods you'd use for that.  I'm sure Chryco could tell you.

I made some bad mistakes in highschool the worst  of them was having a GM product.  2 weeks of owning it and I blew the motor.  I built a stroker 305 chevy once took it out to 335 with a 400 crank.  That car was insainely fast.  But otherwise not worth the trouble.  I'll never build another stroker again.  If I was thinking right I'd have got a fastburn 385 from GM performance and saved a few bucks in the process.  Machine work adds up quick, even if you already have all the pieces. 

Ghoste

A friend of mine did this once for a dirt track motor.  It was a disaster.  Mind you, it was 25 years ago and there were fewer resources available to us but it just was a poorly executed engine overall.  One problem was that it kept blowing holes in the tops of the pistons.We had a lot of bad advice from a guy who was supposed to be a good Mopar builder.
Neil, when you were in my area in the early 80's, did you encounter a guy named Reggie Dauphin?

Chryco Psycho

Ghoste

Just wondered.  He was supposed to be Bruce McCorckle's big Mopar nemesis.  He wasn't the genius he claimed he was though.

XXSpiralXX

Quote from: Steve P. on August 05, 2005, 11:30:55 PM
I went through the same thing looking everywhere and not finding anything.. By the time I found this one I had sold the truck it was for and bought another 65' Coronet!!   Now we are getting real close to moving back to upstate NY and it's one more thing I will have to move.. Where are you in NY????

im in queens dude. And as far as the grinding down the crank journals go, dont gm guys do this all the time with 400 cranks into 350 blocks? How much would they have to be cut down to fit the 318. And the motor wouldnt see over like three and a quarter horse. Unless I go nuts and try my twin turbo idea. BUT id want to use a better rotating assembly for that.

The Mad Scientist

not sure on chebby crank mods.   When I built the 335 I used a shitty machine shop that didn't tell me what in the hell they did.   I have since found Mikes Machine in OKC, and I thank god for it.   Mike is awesome.   If it's true...   That still doesn't mean it's a good idea for you to grind off all the surface hardening.   A stroker motor built to perform that has a weak crankshaft.   I don't like it.

But take my advice.   Do whatever you want.  

If you're planning on doing a turbo setup you may want a higher winder insted of a bulkey awkward long throw stroker crank.  But that's just my opinioin too. 

XXSpiralXX

Quote from: The Mad Scientist on August 10, 2005, 08:19:56 PM
not sure on chebby crank mods.   When I built the 335 I used a shitty machine shop that didn't tell me what in the hell they did.   I have since found Mikes Machine in OKC, and I thank god for it.   Mike is awesome.   If it's true...   That still doesn't mean it's a good idea for you to grind off all the surface hardening.   A stroker motor built to perform that has a weak crankshaft.   I don't like it.

But take my advice.   Do whatever you want.  

If you're planning on doing a turbo setup you may want a higher winder insted of a bulkey awkward long throw stroker crank.   But that's just my opinioin too.  

Yeah yeah I agree with the higher winding thing. The thing is though that they dont really have a large bore smallblock other than a 340, and frankly im having a really hard time finding one. Me and a friend were inspired by the twin turbo 440 satellite that got like 18 mpg and ran 11's with all backyard stuff. I figure we'd try to get soemthing together with whatever we could find for cheap. Used turbos headers and alot of custom handmade shit. It helps to be a fabricator so im kinda at home makin stuff outta metal, and need the practice anyway. Its just a thought but would be real nice to work it out and make it run you know?