News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me understand corporate auto marketing mind

Started by Ghoste, November 29, 2010, 12:08:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Because I still don't understand the rationale behind splitting Dodge trucks off into a separate brand.  Is there really a sales improvement to be gained by creating the Ram Division?

bull

I'll tell you how I understand it. I think of a normal, logical man's thought process and then I take away reason and accountability.

stripedelete

When they split it, they claimed accurate accountability for the brand.  In other words there own balance sheet (P&L).  Reality is, it makes the RAM brand manufacurer independent.  Like Jeep.   Anyone can own it.   Hyndai RAM, Tata RAM, Honda RAM, wouldn't be as easy.   

1969chargerrtse

Could it be like Chevy and GMC, where GMC would push to be " Proffesional grade " ?
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Ghoste

I think the difference there is that there is still the identical truck in the Chevy line being promoted as regular line.  Stripedelete has likely nailed it.  It makes it much easier to break the company up into little pieces.

elacruze

Corporate spin-offs are quite often nothing more than an accounting ruse to make shareholders think they have some added value. Or, somebody wants to be a CEO instead of VP.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

68X426

I would add that, from my experiences in the corporate world, the executives cannot make a decision on their own. They have to have a consensus, a committee, a group think. It is in the very deepest parts of their DNA.

There are no free thinkers, risk takers, or entrepeneurs in any corporate culture. (Fact Jack, don't nobody start about how independent thinking corporate folks are).

So the marketability of RAM vs. Dodge was "focused grouped" to death, and RAM won. It is actually the least risky path (path of least resistance) because a corporate committee agreed, the groups agreed, the executives agreed.

The risk wasn't in the name Dodge, the risk was in anyone making a business decision that didn't get a consensus and group approval. No one loses a career on RAM, but some exec sure could by sticking with Dodge.

Plus, easy to sell a "fresh" product instead of a "legacy" nameplate to the Chinese or Arabs.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Mike DC

"Chrysler" and "Ram" are probably both better names in the public's mind than "Dodge" these days. 

chargerjy9

hopefully, the brand separation will get rid of the crosshair grille on the cars that everyone is so obsessed about hating.
1973 Dodge Charger SE 400 4 bbl,727, survivor
1977 AMC Pacer original
2011 Dodge charger R/T Max

Ghoste

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on November 29, 2010, 01:36:16 PM
"Chrysler" and "Ram" are probably both better names in the public's mind than "Dodge" these days. 

That might be a regional thing.  I don't think I would agree with it around here at all. 

stripedelete

From a branding strategy standpoint, I think this has been in the works for a while.  When you look back, the execution of the strategy probably started when they began, fully and consistantly, referring to a Dodge Truck as a Dodge RAM. (could be wrong but it may have gone back to Daimler)

If I had to guess, the original strategy (pre FIAT) was to pull from its history (first production 4x4, etc.) to build a manufacturer independent, iconic brand.  Like Jeep or Harley-Davidson.  Remember, it was Chrysler that made Jeep a true iconic brand.   With the current financial situation this strategy also "dovetails" nicely into making it an independent operating unit (separating the books). 

Overall IMO, it's a good thing, especially for Dodge Truck fans.  While RAM might be owned by Asians or Europeans  someday, RAM (and Jeep) could also be owned by International Harvester, Catipillar, Harley, etc.  Thus pairing american icons with more american icons and wrapping them in the flag. (I have heard, but can't confirm,  IH was kicking the tires on Jeep pre-bailout.)

Another scenario.  Chrysler doesn't make it and falls into Fiat's lap (again).  Fiat then partners with a cash rich Asian company to pull off some sort of buyout.  With a dealer network in place, and two iconic brands, what would change?  Dodge and Chrysler might go away or look a hell of a lot different.  But, RAM and Jeep would most likely remain on the same street corners in the US, while going international (or pan Asian) in a very large way.

Sorry to digress, but, I have to add that any of these, still positive, scenarios, or the 50 others we could come up with, would have been just as likely had we not circumvented capitalism and the free market with a government bailout.     :Twocents:       

Khyron

Quote from: bull on November 29, 2010, 04:02:47 AM
I'll tell you how I understand it. I think of a normal, logical man's thought process and then I take away reason and accountability.

"As good as it gets!"

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

68X426

Quote from: stripedelete on November 30, 2010, 09:11:48 AM
it was Chrysler that made Jeep a true iconic brand.    

Give credit where it's due, it was Willys and Kaiser who made it iconic. Then AMC and finally Chrysler sold the hell out of them, but credit lies further back in the past. :Twocents: 

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

stripedelete

Quote from: 68X426 on November 30, 2010, 10:43:45 AM
Quote from: stripedelete on November 30, 2010, 09:11:48 AM
it was Chrysler that made Jeep a true iconic brand.    

Give credit where it's due, it was Willys and Kaiser who made it iconic. Then AMC and finally Chrysler sold the hell out of them, but credit lies further back in the past. :Twocents: 

Agreed.  Maybe I should have wrote "Chrysler did a great job packaging that great heritage". 

68X426

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow