News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's A Pilot Car?

Started by 68X426, November 27, 2010, 08:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68X426

71 Cuda advertised as a Pilot Car.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=800882

Is this just the seller's ad fluff - or - did Chrysler actually call the first car of the new model year the Pilot Car?

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Pilot cars are just what the name implies, a vehicle run down the assembly line before regular production to ensure that everything will come together properly when they go full bore (panel fit, parts fit, assembly processes in synch with parts delivery and manpower requirements and so on).  Don't know if the term "pilot car" is an official Chrysler one or an industry nickname.  There isn't necessarily a set number of one or more, if things go perfectly a single pilot is all you need but if the process needs tweaking it requires what it requires.  They will have very early build dates and sequence numbers.

BBKNARF

Your absolutely right Ghoste, as most of you don't know I work at the Brampton Assemble Plant, and that's what were doing right now alot of tweeking with the new Charger and 300, the Challenger is the same except for a few trim changes. Maybe in a week or 2 we will be in full production.
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

Alaskan_TA

That car has a B99 VON prefix, so it was destined for use as a promotional car for use in Canada.

I do not see anything about it that would indicate it being a pilot car though.

bull

You guys are all wrong. It's a car used to warn other drivers of an oversized or long load. :D

nvrbdn

hey, who said my wife was comming...... oops, sorry
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

adauto

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 27, 2010, 10:25:15 PM
hey, who said my wife was comming...... oops, sorry

hope she stays away from your computer!  :flame:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on November 27, 2010, 08:18:24 PM
Don't know if the term "pilot car" is an official Chrysler one or an industry nickname. 

Some of the tags on early cars will say something like Pre VOL or XX Job rammed or just Job number. I've been told this picture was of a tag that came from an 80's pilot car.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Ghoste

Yeah, and I have this vague notion that I've seen "PILOT" typed onto a broadcast sheet but a quick look through my collection turned up nothing.  I know when I worked in the assembly line business it was what we called them.But I don't recall seeing it in print anywhere other than company notices ( the bulletin board employee notices sayin that on "Tuesday Dec 3 job number 4345 will go down the line as a pilot for the 92 models" or something like that).  But I didn't work for Chrysler.

68X426

Thank you everyone for the observations. Now I've learned something new about the old. :icon_smile_cool:

I dug up the seller's website and he has interesting material posted, including the Broadcast Sheet.

From the CB Classic website:

1971 Plymouth Barracuda Pilot/Show Car

Formerly in the Harold Sullivan collection

VIN#  BH23G1B100011

The first Plymouth Barracuda Hardtop Built

Of all Chrysler automobiles of the muscle car era the 1971 Plymouth Barracuda in all its manifestations is deservingly the most revered by collectors today. The long-nose short deck American sporty car was at its design zenith and this car got it absolutely right.

On Sunday 8-2-70 this, the first 1971 Plymouth Barracuda hardtop (the first 10 cars were convertibles) the pilot car for all 1971 production, was scheduled for production at Chrysler's Hamtramk, Michigan assembly plant. This was an export car and show car scheduled to be shipped to British Columbia, Canada. It was finished with In-Violet Metallic high-impact color with black interior. The matching color coded racing mirrors are particularly pleasing. Other unusual features of this important piece of history is the rare A93 package which deletes rear roll down windows and of course roll down cranks. (rear windows are fixed) The car is equipped with 318 ci 2 bbl engine and automatic transmission.

These pre-production hand-built prototypes serve a valuable service to their lesser brethren that follow them. Now for the first time the changes for the model year all come together and the assembly reveals any problems with parts suppliers and production methods. This is literally the first time all these components, particularly those with any model year changes, are ever bolted together. Since this car was to be a corporate show car its build sheet is marked "01 SPECIAL HANDLING CAR" at the bottom of its original build sheet. (original build sheet is supplied with the car). There is also Y93 "SHOW CAR FINISH-LESS GAS" code verifying its show car status.

This is a true numbers matching 318 2V automatic. It has the original VIN, Cowl, header, engine and transmission numbers. It has the original fender tags, broadcast sheet, door VIN sticker. It is listed in the Chrysler registry and is 100% documented.

In addition to being a carefully assembled pilot car that was destined to be a Chrysler corporate showpiece for the 1971 year model, this car has been in good hands for the following 36 years. The original dash pad (unique in that it has no indention for a logo on the right side) remains with the car. Original air cleaner, carburetor, alternator, power steering pump remain with this hard top Barracuda. The singular alteration to original specification is the dual exhaust system.

This well-preserved original vehicle has received excellent care and maintenance. It is cosmetically and mechanically excellent and is ready to use. This important Barracuda would be the perfect addition to any collection. If you're and owner of important Mopar muscle (Hemi "Cuda?), this is the perfect icing on the cake.

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Ghoste

Harold Sullivan is no fool when it comes to collectible Mopars so that part means something.

hemi-hampton

Looks like billboard strip added. LEON.

mikesbbody

Pilot car's = Big $ if the car is desirable and sought after  :Twocents:

tan top

wernt the  second  ,  third & forth   cudas found with the  lowest vin  number also  , cant remember if it was a 71 or 70 year  ,    they were assembled when the plant was shut in july ! sure one was a white  R code car  :scratchchin: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nascarxx29

Wonder if the first made Hemi Challenger conv that became the Diamante.Is a pilot car. It already has one of one show car status going for it :Twocents:
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Alaskan_TA

No, it was not. The Yellow Jacket (it became the Diamante later) was invoiced as a Y28 car - Public relations.

68X426

Quote from: tan top on November 28, 2010, 07:44:11 PM
they were assembled when the plant was shut in july !

This car is dated August 2 (1970). That was a Monday. The plants were all closed the last 2 weeks of July for re-tooling and re-supply. Right?

So who would run the asembly lines the week before? (Doubt there was enough management)  :popcrn:

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

hemi-hampton

What was the VIN on Diamante, Betcha it was pretty low. Why can't a Public relations car be a Pilot car?   :scratchchin: :shruggy:  LEON.

Ghoste

As for manpower during shutdown, it's never a problem to get enough overtime volunteers for things like that.  Plus the line doesn't have to go full out for non regular production, it can start and stop.
At our place a pilot typically ran before the shutdown.  The restocking and retooling that took place during a shutdown was meant to be final so that when the switch was turned after vacation everything was 100%.

Alaskan_TA

I have not seen any proof that the plants closed - yet.

The Yellow Jacket VIN ends in 100022 which is pretty low. One document (going from memory, I'd have to look for it) mentions a possibly June 1969 build for it. It's SPD (scheduled production date) is 8/1/1969 which was the first day of the 1970 model year. It was not invoiced until October 29th, 1969 though, so I have not been able to figure out if it was actually built early, on time or late.

Hamtramck is quite famous for building cars wayyyyyyyy out of VIN sequence though too.

68X426

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on November 28, 2010, 08:40:41 PM
Hamtramck is quite famous for building cars wayyyyyyyy out of VIN sequence though too.

So do you think this 71 Cuda Pilot Car, coded 802, VIN 100011, was built in June or July of 1970 ?

We Want to Help You.

1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

fc7_plumcrazy

Hi,

I have a 69 Sport Fury Convertible in R6 red.
Two fender tag car. Built in D=Belvedere. Has Job Number 162 on second tag as well as show car.
Has code Y91 (Show car finish). SPD is 714 (14th July 1968)

Carsten

hemi-hampton

When I worked at Masco-tech/MSX (a.k.a. Creative Industries) We got many Pilot cars from the big 3. Some Pilots cars are Destined for Magazine test duty like Car & Driver, Car Craft, Road & track,Hot Rod, ect, ect. Some get cut in half or roofs removed for Commercials showing Interior Pics while Driving. Some go to LA Auto show, Chicago Auto show, Detroit Auto show, New York auto show & nowadays SEMA ect. Some used for Prototype/concepts. Many were body in white rolling on a crate when we got them. Vin tag hanging from a wire. I'm working on 2011 Detroit auto show cars now. I'll check some Vins at work. LEON.

Alaskan_TA

QuoteSo do you think this 71 Cuda Pilot Car, coded 802, VIN 100011, was built in June or July of 1970 ?

Nope. Based on the broadcast information I would guess that it was built after the SPD (scheduled production date) of 802 though.  :scratchchin:

maxwellwedge

I just bought a 71 Challenger R/T Pilot car.

Actually - I just bought a 71 Challenger R/T from a pilot. Does that count?   :eyes: