News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WIW: 66 383/4speed Charger

Started by bull, November 26, 2010, 01:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Next door to my mother-in-law's house is a black (maybe dark green) 66 Charger sitting on four flat tires. Usually the guy has a cover on it but today when I was over for dinner the cover was off so I snuck over at dusk and took a closer look at it. It looks to be all original with faded paint, a fairly nice unmodified interior and an Inland shifter sticking up out of the console. It really looks pretty clean other than the pine needles and general neglect.

Sorry no pics. Even if I'd taken my camera along the POS probably wouldn't have worked. Yes, I need a new one. Maybe Santa will come up with something but I haven't been very good this year. Anyway, what's something like this worth say if it runs, is all original, etc.? How rare is it to have a 4 speed in one of these? Where are the common rust areas on a first gen?

You might think I'm nuts but I'd use the thing for a driver if it runs and I could actually buy it. :o I'm sure I'd be doing some brake work and buying tires at least but if I got off that easy I'd be very happy. Considering my financial luck though I'd have to flip it in four months anyway. :rotz:

montana bird

Hi I got a 66 charger 383 4 speed car. I think they only made 1500 with the 383 4 speed I have seen a few but not many. The rear gears should be 3.23s with the 4 speed.  I hate to say this but 66/67 chargers don't bring much. You love them or hate them. I wouldn't spend allot of money on the car as they are way more money and time then a normal mopar to restore. The high cost items to restore are the electric headlight motors and contact switches there is a fast $500, The gauges are electroluminescent $1500, Then there is a power pack to run the gauges $150 The interior goes on for miles. The seats are not bad but look at all the screws carpet and brushed aluminum. Most interior parts you can not buy aftermarket. They made allot of parts for them then discontinued them.  Taillights $400. The inland shifter is cool but not a real good shifter like a Hurst. They make a conversion to bolt the top handle to a Hurst. Brewers tranny sells those. The problem with that car is, they just don't make allot of parts for them like a 68/69 charger. I love mine but got more in the car then it is worth and that's doing it all my self. They are cool and it is were the charger got its roots. I know all mopars a pricey but I have done a 70 duster, and 68 charger, These things just have twice the challenge just in the interior and electrical. If you are up for the challenge, Come Join the dodge rebellion :cheers:

mauve66

scare ya yet Bull??? come on take the plunge, never back down from a challenge have ya????? :D :D :D
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Stormin

I agree with Montana, the first gens do not bring the big money like the second gens. I have a 66 and a 67 and I own them because I love them.

I would check the instrument panel for operation, the condition of the taillight and the completeness of the interior. If it runs and drives and you can obtain it for under 3K you might be able to make some money. If the guy wants 5K or more then you are now in the category of wanting to keep the car and drive it.

BTW the market for a top condition non-hemi first gen is 10K to 15K in this economy.

Stormin

bull

Quote from: mauve66 on November 26, 2010, 10:28:10 AM
scare ya yet Bull??? come on take the plunge, never back down from a challenge have ya????? :D :D :D
:scratchchin:

ITSA426

Montana is making it sound tougher than it is.  We've got a pair of four speed 383s.  There's nothing really difficult if all the parts are there.  My biggest concern on a long neglected first gen lately is quarter panels.  You know though, there's nothing you can't get if you throw out enough money.  Most first gen guys are die hards and can fix or get any thing they need if they don't already have it squirreled away.  They are unique, even for Chargers and even as 66 B bodies.  Good price?  Go for it!  There is not a prettier dash than that one at night.

A383Wing

I got a pair of 4spd 66 Chargers...lots of parts are being reproduced now....ya just gotta look..

Biggest issues with these cars is:

1) dash lights don't work
2) dash gauges don't work
3) rotating headlights don't work

everything else is easy compared to the above 3 items.

2,800 4spd 383 chargers were made in 66

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNNrLUx0Mtk  <-- rotating headlight video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqnsnl42E5Q  <-- another video

bull

I do like the dash lights/gauges. :2thumbs: Why are the headlights such a pain?

Ghoste

Because the motors hang out in the grille where they get exposed to the elements.  There are also opening and closing limit switches in that area that get soaked.  Under the dash they require a set of three relays, a control relay, an opening relay and a closing relay.  There is a headlight switch which has to be turned on of course but the power also flows through another switch on the dash that is a headlight open switch (functions as an over ride switch in case you want to leave the headlights exposed but turn out the light), then of course there is all the wiring needed to keep this mess going.
In other words, it's complicated. :lol:

Topher

The headlight motor system ain't too difficult.....as long as you know who to talk to  :coolgleamA: I rebuild the motors, and offer new limit switches. I(along with anothermember in here) can help you with the power pak, headlight relays, and any cluster woes you may encounter. I've had my 67 383 for almost 21 years(will be in January) and enjoy it. There's a fella near me that drives his 66 383 auto car daily.

The main areas of trouble(other than what's been mentioned) are water leaks in the windshield and rear glass-especially with original rubber gaskets in place, and the trim is Charger specific.
Topher

67 Charger 383-4spd "the Dawg"

www.headlightmotorman.com

b5blue

Just get it bull! Your posts crack me up most of the time and this will add to the hi-jinks possible! I love the under rated 1st gens dearly.   :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

I really appreciate a nicely restored 1966/67 Charger :2thumbs:  Unfortunately very good quality restored examples are rarely seen. I've always like them for their uniqueness. Chrysler poured a lot of money into those cars.  

bull

Quote from: b5blue on November 27, 2010, 11:40:08 AM
Just get it bull! Your posts crack me up most of the time and this will add to the hi-jinks possible! I love the under rated 1st gens dearly.   :2thumbs:

Yes, we need more hyjinks don't we? There are two small obstacles to me buying the car though. One is that it's not actually for sale and the second is that I don't really have an abundance of "mad money" right now. But I think it'd fun and challenging (more challenging than fun maybe) to have this or something like it as a daily driver.

b5blue

Daily driver is the only way I can justify my 70, it sits now waiting mostly for a new welder for body repairs and some paint. (Rust issues) It runs well but we had a lot of rain this year. I get ya, if it's not for sale now, maybe later! As far as having to flip it driving it is the best way to sell one, I get notes, cards and people talking to me constantly. I pulled out of work one time and punched it to blow some carbon out and an SUV full of Canadians followed me home (kinda creepy thing to do) and tried to buy it. The guys pushed me hard for a price all the while eyeballing it and walking around like my carport was a used car lot. I only meant to encourage you as I know you'd do right by it even if you sold it later.   :2thumbs:

bull

My current daily driver is a trusty 94 Dakota with 151k miles that shows no signs of stopping. It's hard for me to think about dumping it for something like this when it's served me so well for the past 10 years. But I am tempted all the time to do just that.

A383Wing

Quote from: bull on November 27, 2010, 07:29:28 PM
My current daily driver is a trusty 94 Dakota with 151k miles that shows no signs of stopping.

Interesting...my daily driver is a '94 Dakota as well

bull

Wow. Almost identical to mine but mine's an extra cab.

b5blue

I wouldn't part with ether of those for a daily driver!  :yesnod: Down here they are mostly beat up badly, or just gone, you never see them anymore. (Nice color too!) My best friends mom had a saying: "Nothing meant for you will ever get past you." I think it's how I got my Charger and six pack. Just be open to the possibility of that 66 coming your way.  :2thumbs: (I've been looking at "back-up" beaters and those trucks are NICE!)

chargerboy69

Quote from: bull on November 27, 2010, 02:20:20 AM
I do like the dash lights/gauges. :2thumbs: Why are the headlights such a pain?

From what I have been told, the gauges and lights are really not that big of a deal.  My best friend, who has 2 66 Hemi 4spd. Chargers has learned how to rebuild the gauges in his sleep.  He usually has a couple extra clusters laying around.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

mauve66

i could make that my daily driver, really mess with the cops
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint