News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Block Exhaust Crossover Blocking Question

Started by A383Wing, November 25, 2010, 09:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

What do you guys use to block off the exhaust crossover on the intake manifold on a big block?

Bryan

Ghoste

I use the Fel Pro valley pan that has that portion solid.  Years ago I used to jam the crossover with tin foil but the blocked pan is soooo much easier and better.

no318

Me too.  The application was for industrial/power unit engines, I think.

A383Wing

ok..looked online at Schucks stores...FelPro #1214 for $31 has valley pan blocked off at the exhaust and also comes with 4 fiber gaskets as well...

may have to order one....

reason I asked was I'm trying to stop the long hard hot start in the Daytona after shut down

62 Max

If you buy it,throw away the paper gaskets if you have a iron manifold. :Twocents:

A383Wing

Quote from: 62 Max on November 25, 2010, 10:32:16 PM
If you buy it,throw away the paper gaskets if you have a iron manifold. :Twocents:

have Weiand 8008 aluminum intake on the Daytona...use them or not?

firefighter3931

I've never used the paper gaskets....aluminum or iron intake manifold. Unless the intake surface of your Wiend has been cut you shouldn't need them either.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

A383Wing

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 25, 2010, 11:14:41 PM
I've never used the paper gaskets....aluminum or iron intake manifold. Unless the intake surface of your Wiend has been cut you shouldn't need them either.

Ron

nope...underside of intake has not been cut...and I'm just using the metal valley pan gasket on there now....seals just fine

firefighter3931

Quote from: A383Wing on November 25, 2010, 11:38:03 PM
Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 25, 2010, 11:14:41 PM

Ron

nope...underside of intake has not been cut...and I'm just using the metal valley pan gasket on there now....seals just fine

You're good to go then  :2thumbs:

Another item to consider is a carb insulating base gasket which helps with conductive heat. Keeps the carb & fuel much cooler.  ;)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-9265/

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

A383Wing

yea..already have a carb insulator...it's like a sandwich style, gasket, aluminum spacer, gasket, spacer,......and so on...

also gonna put the insulation back in under the intake as well...see if that helps.

Ghoste

Personally I think that noise insulation just transfers more heat (physical connection instead of air blowing through).  But try it and see.

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on November 26, 2010, 07:22:47 AM
Personally I think that noise insulation just transfers more heat (physical connection instead of air blowing through).  But try it and see.

:iagree: yep thats my thinking on this also  :yesnod:  :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

The spacer being made from aluminum is doing nothing to stop transfer. It must be made from a non conductive material to keep the carb cool

A383Wing

it's not a piece of aluminum..it's layered with gaskets inbetween

Ghoste

Are you talking about the foil wrapped pillow that lies on top of the valley pan or something else?

firefighter3931

Quote from: tan top on November 26, 2010, 08:29:10 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on November 26, 2010, 07:22:47 AM

:iagree: yep thats my thinking on this also  :yesnod:  :popcrn:

Ghoste & TT are correct !  :2thumbs:

The foil wrapped pillow is for engine noise reduction. All BB intake manifolds are air-gap (by design) so the last thing you want to do is fill in that gap with a conductive material that will transfer heat from the valley pan to the manifold.  :eek2: :lol:

Ron

62 Max

But,Chrysler engineer's didn't have a problem with it. :scratchchin:

Ghoste

They also had better gas.  More than a few of the problems with vapor lock today are caused by the oxygenated fuels designed for high pressure fuel injected systems.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Ghoste on December 04, 2010, 12:17:43 AM
They also had better gas.  More than a few of the problems with vapor lock today are caused by the oxygenated fuels designed for high pressure fuel injected systems.

Exactly !  :yesnod:

The junk they pass off as fuel nowadays hardly resembles the gas they sold back in the day.  :-\

Ron

A383Wing

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on December 02, 2010, 10:22:04 PM
The spacer being made from aluminum is doing nothing to stop transfer. It must be made from a non conductive material to keep the carb cool

here is what I have on the Daytona...it's not a "one piece" item

Ghoste

Okay,we're definitely talking about two different things then.  I thought you were referring to the insulation that goes under the intake manifold.

A383Wing

Quote from: Ghoste on December 05, 2010, 04:53:59 PM
Okay,we're definitely talking about two different things then.  I thought you were referring to the insulation that goes under the intake manifold.

we were talking about that also...I often wondered if it would be better to leave the 'glass stuff out from under the intake so air would pass through..or put it back in as Ma Mopar did back then

Ghoste

Much better, take it out today. :yesnod:  (Edelbrock came up with a great idea for an intake manifold a few years ago... they called it the Air Gap)

HeavyFuel

OK.....old thread...but that's OK.

So we can cool down the manifold with the block-off gasket.  But doesn't this effect the stock choke, keeping the carb closed up too long, maybe even all the time?   How do you solve that?

I'm kinda wrestling with this right now......install a block-off gasket and modern carb with an electric choke, or keep it all stock, and take my chances with overheating the intake/carb.

??

Chryco Psycho

electric choke or set the choke mostly off if you only drive it on warm days your really do not need a choke