News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice on Mopar Mini Vans

Started by stripedelete, November 23, 2010, 02:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stripedelete

In need to purchase a van to transport a crew around town (YoderToter for those of you in Amish country).   I'm looking at 90's Voyager, Caravan, and Town and Countrys in the $3K or less price range.  Except for the occasional 100K mile unit I'm seeing the mileage grouped at +/- 130k  and +/-175K.

My first question is, "are these milestone numbers"?  In other words does something bad/expensive happen at, or after just after, these points?

My second wuestion is in regard to engines.  There seems to be several different 6 cyls during this time period.  Is there a specific engine that I should steer clear of?

Any other info/advice wiill be apprecatied.  Even other other optins to a Chrysler mini van. 

moparstuart

3.0 3.3 & 3.8 all great motors  , your problem will be the transmissions are all junk

check for reman tags on the transmissins , try to find one that the transmission  looks really clean and has a reman tag on it .   :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Brock Samson

I would suggest besides advice here you look to ALLPAR  they are expert in all things MOPAR there and with a lot less emphisis on high performance 40 yr old B-bodies. I do know transmissions can be problematic on particular years with particular engine combos..
http://www.allpar.com/reviews/minivans.html
There are other MiniVan pages accessable via the search page.

Silver R/T

My aunt still has early 90's Grand Caravan. It's been beat, misused, abused and still runs and starts every time. She did have to rebuild tranny in it a few years ago. It's 3.3 Mitsu? engine and runs strong
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

learical1

Had a 91 Dodge Caravan, got it in 01 from my brother.  He put a tranny in it, and it needed one when I got rid of it in 2003.  Replaced it with an 01 Town and Country, I had to put a trans solenoid pack in last month, only trans problem I've had with it. 
Bruce

Ghoste

Only trans problem we've had was a shift sensor.

Aero426

I have a 98 with a 3.3 and a bazillion miles.   Over 200k.  Can't tell for sure because I have no guages most of the time.    Engine is stone reliable.   Trans has only needed a solenoid pack.     

chargerboy69

That is fairly small for a Amish hauler.  I am in the middle of Amish country myself and you can not swing a dead cat without hitting a 16 passenger van sitting in front of a Meijer.

I have had a couple.  Did have to put a tranny in one of them though.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

bull

Those "milestone" mileage intervals you're seeing are probably logged every time the tranny takes a dump. So it's something like 30k, 60k, 90k, 120k, etc., when it will need a trip to the transmission shop. I'd say if you change out the tranny once about every third oil change you'll be ok. :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

Quote from: moparstuart on November 23, 2010, 02:30:47 PM
3.0 3.3 & 3.8 all great motors  , your problem will be the transmissions are all junk

check for reman tags on the transmissins , try to find one that the transmission  looks really clean and has a reman tag on it .   :Twocents: :Twocents: :Twocents:
The Transmissions ARE JUNK....Walk...No run away.

gtx6970

Ray,

Avoid anything high mileage if it's a 3.0 v6 ( it'll have silver valve covers )

3.3 and 3.8's all have black valve covers and are the best ones to find if your not afraid of something with higher mileage( 150K and up )
Having been in the dealership areana for most of the past 25 years.( I walked away from it this past March and vow to never go back)  I can probably answer anything you come up with

My wife drives a 01 Town+ Country every day with almost 190K  on it, we bought it 3 years ago with just over 125K on it, I've put an alt and a power steering pump on it, best I can tell is it's the original trans and if shifts perfectly, engine doesn't burn a drop of oil between changes

jb666

A buddy of mine's got one with the 3.8. It just turned 185k miles... original tranny. He's had GREAT luck with this thing.. bought it brand new and can't seem to kill it!!

stripedelete

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.  Sounds like my best bet is going to be a recently rebuilt/replaced trans or one that has already started slipping (those ads are out there too) that I can buy for haul-it-away price.   

I'm also keeping eye out for a 9 passanger dodge van with a slant six.  I fiqure fuel cost vs. repair cost may be a push.  I know they made them once upon a time, but it may be like finding hens teeth now. 

Chargerboy, your observation is correct.  However, the Amish I'm dealing with are Guatemalan, great employees, but not to large in stature.  So, a seven passanger mini van is actually proportionate to the full size "Yodertoter" :laugh: 

Bull, your post fits a '91 Regal I had.  Front Pads every other oil change and an extra water pump in the trunk.