News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Procharger vrs Paxton Supercharger

Started by Wicked72, November 23, 2010, 06:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

I have decided on a supercharged 451. I do not want a supercharger sticking out of my hood which is still awsome but not my thing. The two options I have come up with are between a procharger or the paxton. I have only played with roots type superchargers and I do not want to pull the trigger on a centrifugal without some proper insite. They do not make a procharger kit for our engines so from the supercharger store they make a kit. and paxton already does. I see the paxton uses engine oil but I do not think that will have a huge effect and I do plan on using an intercooler with either.
I would love to see what you guys think about the two or have any suggestions. The hp goal is at 750 and everything else with be setup to handle the power just fine, I just want info and opinions on the superchargers. Thanks!
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

mikesbbody

I Can't speak from experience because I have none when it comes to S.C but like you want to go the under the hood route.
I did read in Jan 2011 issue of Mopar Muscle they tested a Paxton (on a 440) and I noticed they had it mounted on the passenger side meaning You would not have to relocate the battery to the trunk (which may or may not be a issue for you)
I would love to know who make the better S.C  :scratchchin:

Ghoste

A buddy of mine had a Procharger on his Ford Fairmont and he put a hurt on a pile of unsuspecting hot shoes.  I don't think he had a ready made kit for his car either though and I recall it took a fair bit of tinkering before he started to get satisfactory results from it. When he did, he really did but there was a period of experimentation where he really wondered what he had gotten into.
I do like the idea of oil cooling for the bearing from a personal opinion.

tan top

** please delete **

was reading about a paxton supercharger  in the latest mopar  muscle  mag ,  :scratchchin:  by the look  of it !! fitted in the artical ,  no need for battery in trunk , as its mounted on passanger side  :yesnod:

opps just read the other posts  :slap:
mike beat me to in !! that will teach me to read every thing before posting !!

Quote from: mikesbbody on November 23, 2010, 06:21:47 PM
I Can't speak from experience because I have none when it comes to S.C but like you want to go the under the hood route.
I did read in Jan 2011 issue of Mopar Muscle they tested a Paxton (on a 440) and I noticed they had it mounted on the passenger side meaning You would not have to relocate the battery to the trunk (which may or may not be a issue for you)
I would love to know who make the better S.C  :scratchchin:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Wicked72

If they made a kenne belle for a carb app I would fab up an intake for it in a heart beat. just about full hp and tq from start to finish and the sound it orgasmic! heres a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQX3cOAbes

Rayzor

I had a procharger setup on my 440. It was a custom kit put together by SD Concepts. All the brackets and hoses intercooler and carb went on without a hitch. Cant help you on the paxton.

Ghoste

Did your Procharger bolt on and go once you had it or did it take a long time to get it dialed in?

Wicked72

Cooter

The New Issue of MM MAg. has a 318 Supercharged, that pumped out 662 HP and over 570 Ft. Lbs. of torque, but had a water injection kit on it to keep Det. down...Yeah, boost is my new best friend...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Did they happen to use one of these two kits?

Cooter

I believe the Supercharger Store uses Vortec...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

So you think you're going get one of their kits then?

Cooter

I WILL have something boosted in my future, be it Turbo, or Supercharged. I've been there and done that with Nitrous...

Ghoste

Well I know that when you do, you'll share the details with us.  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Oh yeah, even if it's a "Ventilated" 318 Block hoping for that 850 HP number....I rode in a Grand National for the first time the other day and was so impressed, I'm gonna bite it in the ass and get some type of Boost into my engine..Might be a while as blow through carb's and Ford Electronics with Fuel Injection are NOT my speciallty, but I will blow something up on about 20 PSI sooner or later..

Long as I try not to do this, I guess I'll be ok..
http://jalopnik.com/5703630/800hp-shelby-cobra-gt500-explodes-on-dyno

Ghoste

mauve66

that did look expensive

i had never heard a kenne bell make that high pitched sound, i thought all the Lightnings and Grand Prix GTX's had kenne bell and never noticed it before......... or have they done something different to theirs???  maybe i just never heard them wound all the way up before??
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

Ghoste

I would think anything offered as oem would be a little bit underdriven for warranty reasons.

Cooter

Um, it was not OEM Guys...@ 800 HP, the GT500 is bad, but it ain't that bad...

Ghoste

That's what I'm saying Cooter.  He's comparing the whine to the Lightning and Grand Prix and I was guessing that an oem application would sound different than the one you posted by design.

Wicked72

The supercharger store does procharger stuff. I spent a few hours BSing on the phone with one of the guys there. They are awsome to talk to and will give you ANY Info you want. They also have a gear driven setup for the procharger! It looks awsome. It mounts in front of the engine near the crank so you would have to move the Rad out of the way but it keeps it in a cool spot and no belts to worry about. Its an extra $1000.  The kit from the supercharger store is a bit expensive, about $6k for the complete kit, however its well put together.

I sent an email to Kennebell to see if there twin screw could have a carb adapted to it. I know it could easily be done but it takes in air from the rear and I wonder if there would be problem with air/fuel leaning out on one side because of that.

I have looked into going with turbos and that still may be an option I might go with. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUMd2c2NZY&feature=related  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTP6lvAIR2w&feature=related <---Love the sound of the waste gate and BOV on this one

Rayzor

Quote from: Ghoste on December 01, 2010, 08:04:52 AM
Did your Procharger bolt on and go once you had it or did it take a long time to get it dialed in?

The kit made it a no brainer to install as it was already thought out. The Holley carb was modified for the blow threw setup was fairly close out of the box. I had a air fuel meter at that time and as I recall just a few jet changes were made to keep it cool. I started out with 8 pounds of boost and worked my way to 14-16 pounds until I could not keep detonation out of the picture. When I started moving up in boost the serpentine belt started slipping so I ended up going with the cogged belt. That was the better deal right from the get go. I liked the procharger compressor better then the Paxton style because it plumbed into the engine oil supply. Its been more then a few years since I played with boost so I dont remember all the details. Might be more in some of my old posts, but alot of them were on the old board. I also ran this compressor on my slant six 68 charger. When I finaly pulled that combo out I had it in the mid twelves at Woodburn. It only let loose one time out in Nevada when I was doing about 125 for about 30 minutes. That procharger was pretty dependable though. It went one side of the country to the other a few times....Hmm wonder what ever happened to Cudaken, he loved that blown slant and never failed to rib me about it. 

studio57

:2thumbs: up for procharger, i have had it on my chevelle and someday i will get the F4 version and make a ultimate racecar or F1r to Charger.
572 Aluminum Hemi + 6speed autom. 1968 Charger XV-motorsports Level II suspension.

Wicked72

The supercharger store said the kit I want is a D1sc or a P1sc for the hp goal

Challenger340

What Maincap/Block upgrades are you planning for the 750hp level ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !