News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upper ball joint won't fit through Knuckle

Started by AmadeusCharger500, November 22, 2010, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmadeusCharger500

Im rebuiliding the suspension on my 73 charger. I ordered a complete rebuild kit from PST. I had the upper ball joints pressed in at a local shop. I am now trying to reassemble and found that the shaft on both upper ball joints is bigger than the originals. In fact they are the same size shaft as the lowers. They should be one bolt thread size smaller. Please anyone....tell me I don't need to call call and give them the Nasty talk  :brickwall:plus have these pressed back out of the control arms.

FLG

Whelp there not pressed in...there screwed in  :scratchchin:

The uppers should be the smaller thread, lowers the larger...this is from memory but im almost sure im correct here...i can double check when i go in the garage later. Both uppers and lowers get screwed into the arms, not pressed.

FLG

Read your other thread again and seen you tacked them in (as did i)

Again im near sure the upper is the smaller thread.

bordin34

The upper is a smaller thread and I believe all uppers were screw in not press in.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

bull

They're screw in on the second gen. Chargers and I'm pretty sure on the third gens too. Pressing them in or out is a quick way to screw the UCAs up.

FLG

Guys he has another thread where he couldn't tighten em...so he tack welded em in.

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

AmadeusCharger500

Sorry yes I tack welded one of them. Didn't want that as a distraction to this topic. PST already screwed up once and sold me press in ones that I had to pay shipping to return (gave me some line about threaded ones being special in that year). It seems the thread in ones they sent to replace them did indeed fit the control arm but not the steering knuckle. And now I got one tack welded in place :flame: