News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another T-56 thread.

Started by CidE, July 15, 2010, 11:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CidE

440 + T56 in a 68 Charger. I did a search and got some basic information out of it. Quicktime makes a Bellhousing, and there could be some surgery involved in getting the thing to fit in the tunnel. I'm looking for a bit more specific information on the process. Has anyone seen a write up of the process of getting one of these things into a B-body? Trying to look before I leap but I've got a pretty good deal on the trans so I can't really pass up the opportunity.

Rolling_Thunder

there is no question - you WILL need to modify the floor...   also - you will need to hack the torsion bar cross member and patch it for rigidity -  also plan on making your own transmission mount cross member --- 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

CidE

Well that doesn't sound to horrible. I'm still not sure what I'm going to have to do for swing pedals and whatnot. The car was a automatic originally so theres going to have to be some modification for a clutch. I'm however pretty much in the dark when it comes to having to convert it to accept a hydraulic clutch system.

charger2fast4u

i'd be interested in seeing how this install go's. you will be doing alot of cutting and patching like rolling thunder said but once it's done it would be worth it. i don't think anyone makes a crossmember for this swap yet. i'd maybe check with keisler they might be able to set you up with the pedals and hydraulic master cylinder. maybe some more information on what it's  all going to take to make it fit in.

Rolling_Thunder

Most T56s run a integrated slave cylinder...     use Keisler's hydraulic kit and plumb it to the stock T56 slave...      use stock 4-speed pedals from a B-body...     Mount the reservoir by the brake master cylinder...                done.   

I am thinking about running a T56 sooner or later...       

thedodgeboys

I put a t56 magnum in my challenger its not so bad the auto tunnel would be easier than a standard one.

thunder is right get a set of b body pedals they bolt right in. the tunnel needs to be 2 to 3 inches wider on the passenger side and 2 inches taller to clear the trans.

Cut it all the way back to the firewall seem btw. and the shifter will now be in the center of the tunnel.

CidE

Awesome, thanks for the replies. This gives me a pretty good idea where to start.

charger2fast4u

thats one nice challenger thedodgeboys is that your own fabricated crossmember? you didn't have to touch the center crossmember brace at all did you? what tubular k frame is that you have? your car is good looking

CidE

Well if I'm going to buy the swing pedal assembly, stock or otherwise, what about a Wilwood setup like this? More trouble than it's worth or go for it?

And bonus picture of the car in question.

Black one is mine, Red is my Dads 68 Hemi.

Rolling_Thunder

Wilwood...     too much work for little benefit...     I like using stock parts as much as possible ---

looks like a nice paid you two have going there - keep up the good work - what's the plan for each ?

thedodgeboys

Quote from: charger2fast4u on July 19, 2010, 11:07:04 AM
thats one nice challenger thedodgeboys is that your own fabricated crossmember? you didn't have to touch the center crossmember brace at all did you? what tubular k frame is that you have? your car is good looking

Thanks
yes its my own design, I now have taken it back off and boxed it in some to add a little more strength to it.
yes I removed the upper brace and added in my own, I figured that with me not using torsion bars and the extra braces I added a smaller upper brace would work just fine. (its probably stronger then the original   :shruggy:  just no crunch zone)  :scratchchin: 
I am running the alterktion front k frame and will probably add the rear one next winter.

thedodgeboys

Quote from: CidE on July 19, 2010, 05:07:26 PM
Well if I'm going to buy the swing pedal assembly, stock or otherwise, what about a Wilwood setup like this? More trouble than it's worth or go for it?

It can be done but IMO its more trouble than its worth custom mounts and plumbing if the fluids are under the dash they could be hard to check?
Also if they can be mounted on the other side and are on the firewall will they clear the valve covers?

Nice chargers I would love to find a 68 or 69 to build next.  :coolgleamA:

CidE

QuoteWilwood...     too much work for little benefit...     I like using stock parts as much as possible ---

looks like a nice paid you two have going there - keep up the good work - what's the plan for each ?

The Hemi will be a original car, mostly. Mine I'm doing a bit more custom work to, obviously. Nothing to over the top, the tranny will be about as wild as I'll get for now probably. Eventually I would like to do something like what thedodgeboys did and modernize the suspension and blah blah. For now it will just be a built 440, 6 speed, and some upgraded brakes and lightly upgraded suspension parts.

QuoteIt can be done but IMO its more trouble than its worth custom mounts and plumbing if the fluids are under the dash they could be hard to check?
Also if they can be mounted on the other side and are on the firewall will they clear the valve covers?

Nice chargers I would love to find a 68 or 69 to build next.  :coolgleamA:

That's pretty much what I figured, I'm not sure about clearance with mounting them on the other side. I'd have to get a motor in the car to figure it out probably.

Thanks, it's been a ton of work. I started working on my car about 2 years ago. This is what it looked like when I started. Body work done entirely by me and the old man. I'll get around to posting a build thread sooner or later.

thedodgeboys

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Thats the red car?

nice recovery  :2thumbs:

CidE

Black one, never again haha. The only thing that made me save this one was it's a factory R/T 440 car.

six-tee-nine

OH NO you are not getting away with just 3 pictures of that car........

We likey alot of pictures over here....and welcome by the way. It's nice to see someone saving a care that a little further gone than junking it...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

CidE

Quote from: six-tee-nine on July 21, 2010, 07:48:35 AM
OH NO you are not getting away with just 3 pictures of that car........

We likey alot of pictures over here....and welcome by the way. It's nice to see someone saving a care that a little further gone than junking it...
Ask and you shall receive, I made a build thread with more pictures.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,71772.0.html

CidE

Posting this link in here too in case anyone is searching for more T-56 info. Great link provided by thedodgeboys.

http://www.bigblockdart.com/forum/showthread.php?3985-T-56-6-speed-discussion...updated-06-28-09

CidE

What do you guys think about a setup like this? It's a bit more than I wanted to spend to convert to hydraulic but at least I know it should all work.

http://www.proformancepowertrain.com/cart.htm#ecwid:category=146603&mode=product&product=706967

Would this be a good way to go or is there a cheaper kit out there?

thedodgeboys

It looks like a good Kit Talk to Richard and tell him you have been talking to me Scott Shanks he may give you a little break(especially if you get a complete kit from them) they will take care of you.  IMO I gave them my template to make cross members for the t56 magnums and ebodys I dont know if it will work in a b body.

thedodgeboys

xpbprox