News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New member fender tag questions.

Started by neonturbo, November 20, 2010, 06:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neonturbo

New member here.

I have a Charger R/T that I am working on. It is my Mom's car, she bought it new in '71. It is a dark bronze metallic with a black vinyl top and interior. It is completely original, except for tires and brakes. It needs a full restoration because it has sat since about 1978 or so and was her daily driver in Michigan (I do not know what she was thinking) so it does have some rust on the quarters and the doors. The car has about 70,000 miles on it.

Here is the fender tag, I basically know what the car is, but the fender tag has a bunch of digits on the top of it that are not in the decoder books. What do the top lines mean? (click for larger pic)

Also, this car was purchased with the W11 hubcaps with 14" wheels, I thought that the code should be on the tag, but I am not seeing it. am I just missing it? I am surprised that it has this style hubcap, and I always wondered if they were switched before my Mom bought the car.

Thanks for any help,
Jim

greasyspider

From my understanding the fender tag only lists certain options.  (Someone smarter than me might be able to explain why that is.)  The build sheet is what you want to look for. It will list every option your car had. Mine was tucked into the springs under the passenger seat.  Although it could be under any of the seats.
'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

maxwellwedge

That's a Lynch Road tag - They were always a little different from the other plants.
They also didn't list all the optional stuff on their tags that other plants did.
The Broadcast Sheet is what you want to look for for all the poop.

If it is the same as a 69 tag the top numbers stand for:

A 2 digit gate number, a 3 digit Base number and a 6 Digit Line Sequence Number

69CoronetRT

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 20, 2010, 11:10:30 PM

True but following those numbers, the 71 LR tag then has the engine assembly and rear axle assembly code.

444 = 440-4bbl HP assembly with automatic transmission and no A/C
042 = B body 8.75 3.23 gears; open rear end (no Sure grip) 10" drums
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

maxwellwedge

Cool stuff - They put that up there whereas the 69 had the VIN after with the other codes on the line below.
Never had any Lynch car newer than 69 so never had to worry about it.  ;)

neonturbo

Quote from: greasyspider on November 20, 2010, 07:38:33 PM
From my understanding the fender tag only lists certain options.  (Someone smarter than me might be able to explain why that is.)  The build sheet is what you want to look for. It will list every option your car had. Mine was tucked into the springs under the passenger seat.  Although it could be under any of the seats.

Yep, found the build sheet probably 10 years ago under the rear seat. It is in the house somewhere, but I cannot lay my hands on it right now. I think I put it in a folder in my file cabinet to keep it flat and safe, but as to which file I could not tell you.

neonturbo

Quote from: 69CoronetRT on November 21, 2010, 01:11:45 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 20, 2010, 11:10:30 PM

True but following those numbers, the 71 LR tag then has the engine assembly and rear axle assembly code.

444 = 440-4bbl HP assembly with automatic transmission and no A/C
042 = B body 8.75 3.23 gears; open rear end (no Sure grip) 10" drums

Good to know that is what those numbers mean. It is a 440 Magnum with Slap stick shifter, I thought it had the 3.23, but I was almost sure it had Sure-Grip. I never drove the car, (I was way too young) but my Dad always told me it was limited slip, and it sure acted like it on snow/ice.

neonturbo

Another quick question. Is dark bronze metallic (K6) rare for a R/T? I have never seen another 71 Charger, let alone a 71 R/T this color. It does have a black R/T stripe, and black vinyl top. Maybe it just seems unusual because I am used to seeing the "brighter" colors.

Anybody have breakdown of how many vehicles per color?  I think there were only a few thousand R/T in 71 so each color couldn't have had too many.  ;D

MRHWS

Here is a break down on your tag if I'm reading the numbers correctly. There were 2,172 R/T 440 4bbl automatics built. No records on how many of a certain color or with certain options built, but only what has been added to the Chrysler Registry. As mentioned above, the top line digits represent gate, etc. and Lynch Road plant skimped on tag codes. see below.

WS23:
Dodge Coronet,Charger
Special
2 Door Hardtop

U1A: 440 370HP 1-4BBL 8 CYL
Lynch Road, MI, USA

101111:   Sequence number

E86:    440 cid 4 barrel V8 (High Performance) 375hp
D32:    Heavy Duty Automatic Transmission
GK6:    Dark Bronze Poly Exterior Color
D6X9:    Trim - Luxury, Vinyl Bucket Seats, Black
TX9:    Black Int. Door Frames
903:    Build Date: September 03
024221:   Order number

V1X:    Full Vinyl Top, Black
U:    USA Specifications
C16:    Console w/Woodgrain Panel

G36:    OS Dual Racing Mirrors

G11:    Tinted Glass (all)

17:    Gate sequence number
101:       Base sequence number
109182:    Line sequence number
444:    Drive train, engine & transmission code
042:    Rear axle & brake code
1973 Charger SE
1974 Charger Rallye 440
2008 Charger SRT8

MRHWS

Quote from: neonturbo on November 22, 2010, 07:42:43 PM
Another quick question. Is dark bronze metallic (K6) rare for a R/T? I have never seen another 71 Charger, let alone a 71 R/T this color. It does have a black R/T stripe, and black vinyl top. Maybe it just seems unusual because I am used to seeing the "brighter" colors.

Anybody have breakdown of how many vehicles per color?  I think there were only a few thousand R/T in 71 so each color couldn't have had too many.  ;D
There is a member on the 1971-1974 Dodge Charger board that has a GK6 R/T
1973 Charger SE
1974 Charger Rallye 440
2008 Charger SRT8

charger440six_pac

1971 Color Preferences
======================

Charger and Coronet

1.Light Green Metallic(GF3)14.2%
2.Gold Metallic(GY8)9.6%
3.Dark Green Metallic(GF7)8.9%
4.Light Blue Metallic   (GB2)8.2%
5.Bright Blue Metallic(GB5)7.6%
6.Dark Gold Metallic(GY9)6.9%
7.Light Gunmetal Metallic(GA4)6.7%
8.Bright White(GW3)6.5%
9.Dark Bronze Metallic(GK6)6.0%
10.Tan Metallic(GT2)5.0%
11.Bright Red(FE5)4.4%
12.Dark Blue Metallic(GB7)4.2%
13.Butterscotch(EL5)2.4%
14.Hemi-Orange(EV2)1.4%
15.Plum Crazy(FC7)1.4%
16.Top Bannana(FY1)1.1%
17.Citron Yellow(GY3)1.0%
18.Black(TX9)0.9%
19.Green Go(FJ6)0.5%
20.Gold(GY4)0.1%

Driving with cerebellum in neutral not recommended. ;)

1972Rallye

neonturbo

Thanks for all the help. Now for a trip down memory lane, this is about 1973-74. As you can see I always liked cars, and grease.

Brock Samson