News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

steering leak and play

Started by Piston_Freddy, November 10, 2010, 08:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piston_Freddy

I needed to get the gauge cluster out and dropped the column and next day there was a huge puddle on my new garage floor, I put the column back put it was still leaking.I think I have too much play on steering box also, so I don't now if I should replace seals or buy firmfeel stage 2/3???
How much steering play is normal for a 68 p/steering box?
Max rim size:15"

PatrickPeeters

Friend of mine, bought a set for a couple a dollar on ebay and play is almost gone.
Leaking should be easy to do fix there's another tread explaining that.
Going to try that in a little while

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67669.0.html

hope this helps somewhat.

Patrick  :punkrocka:

Piston_Freddy

Thanks Patrick, but I have read all the steering leaks and play threads on this forum.I have like 14cm(5,5inch)play so I don't now if I can adjust it out? Tried to adjust it yesterday but not enough space(headers) to do it.

PatrickPeeters

Get a replacement one from summit, depends on where the play is.....

Al

1968 Dodge Charger, 383, UU1

Piston_Freddy

Found out today that this shaft is moving in and out about a half a inch, so looks like I'm going to buy a new steering box. 

Belgium R/T -68

First of all make sure the outer retainer isn't loose making your 1/2" play in that direction.
Concerning your play when moving the steeringwheel I have 8-10 cm when the engine is off
and my steeringbox is totally rebuild. When you start the car it's not noticeable if you have PS.
If you only plan on using the car normally I would propose a rebuild incl seals and bearings,
will just cost you about 100$.

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

PatrickPeeters

Piston_Freddy

I will take the steering box apart after I have registered my Charger.

Has anyone installed this kit? http://www.jegs.com/p/Unisteer/Unisteer-Mopar-B-E-Body-Rack-Pinion-Kit/763009/10002/-1

charger2fast4u

Your getting 1/2" play in the shaft when you pull on it? I would check like Belgium said I have been looking into steering kits for our cars I think ill be going with a firm feel stage 2 when its time to rebuild the steering I haven't seen the rack and pinion setup that you posted is be interested in some reviews on it let me know if you find anything on it

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: Piston_Freddy on November 16, 2010, 01:07:13 PM

Has anyone installed this kit? http://www.jegs.com/p/Unisteer/Unisteer-Mopar-B-E-Body-Rack-Pinion-Kit/763009/10002/-1

I've order a complete frontend rebuildkit from summit everything is in that kit.
And if you going to order there you can order a stockreplacement steering box. (you can choose to send em yours and get some moeny off)
That one third of the price this kit will cost.
But depending what you wanna do with the car, I'm gonna drive it for fun, not making it a racecar and not expecting to get superduper handling of a modern car.
I'm somewhat old school an like it to be old.......(but save and driveable too!)

Piston_Freddy

Quote from: charger2fast4u on November 16, 2010, 11:37:50 PM
Your getting 1/2" play in the shaft when you pull on it? I would check like Belgium said I have been looking into steering kits for our cars I think ill be going with a firm feel stage 2 when its time to rebuild the steering I haven't seen the rack and pinion setup that you posted is be interested in some reviews on it let me know if you find anything on it

Shaft moves when I turn the steering wheel, I will take it apart and if its not worn then I will buy new seals and stuff, when its worn then firm feel stage 2! Yeah that rack and pinion kit has some problems I read. http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=60835.0
Quote from: PatrickPeeters on November 17, 2010, 02:36:58 AM
Quote from: Piston_Freddy on November 16, 2010, 01:07:13 PM

I've order a complete frontend rebuildkit from summit everything is in that kit.
And if you going to order there you can order a stockreplacement steering box. (you can choose to send em yours and get some moeny off)
That one third of the price this kit will cost.
But depending what you wanna do with the car, I'm gonna drive it for fun, not making it a racecar and not expecting to get superduper handling of a modern car.
I'm somewhat old school an like it to be old.......(but save and driveable too!)

Yeah I'm just gonna drive it to, I don't want it to handle like a new car.

Thanks for the input everyone! I will let you now how it turns out!