News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found a project 69 charger...What would you offer the seller?

Started by jrayk, December 28, 2005, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrayk

Hey, I have a lead on a 69 Charger that I'm thinking about buying. Just wondering what you would offer the guy $$$$ wise...

I dont have the VIN, fender codes, or pictures yet...I will post them this weekend.

The car is originally a 383 column auto with AC. Green on green.
A small block is sitting in it now not running.
The car is complete with the exception of no hood or fenders or tranny.
Very weathered from what I hear...
It needs trunk pans, lower quarter patches, rear frame rails, and rocker panels.

No title with the car...

Let's assume the car is 95% complete a bit rusty in the ass but straight and rebuildable.

I am thinking somewhere between $2000-$2500 (in rural midwest)

I will see how she looks Friday...I've been wanting a 68 or 69 charger for a long time...This one is only a couple hours away from me.

I am just worried about the rear frame rails, I've never done structural work before and I am wondering if I should grab it or wait for something a little more

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

73rallye440magnum

sounds like a pass to me. It's been said before, the more solid a car is to begin with, the less $ you will put into it and it will be less prone to rust again later.
WTB- 68 or 69 project

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8, XH29G0

Blown70

Well sounds like a lot.  To be honest that almost sounds like a parts car.  No OFFENSE....

ESP for 2,000.  FENDERS, GRILLE, HOOD if found would cost a lot.

I would wait for a more complete car.... Just my opinion.

Tom

Blown70

ALSO, where,  I have no need but have done work with chargers.  I could meet with you to see how bad.

To be honest I had a neighbor that had one for 3500 a few months back,,, that one was complete.  Grille, fenders, hood console.  Needed bodywork, frame was good.

JUST KEEP THAT IN MIND.

TOm

694spdRT

I missed a '68 R/T with a transplanted 383 missing the front fenders. It was otherwise complete with good framerails and minimal rust for $800 a couple years ago. My brother in law bought a Hemi orange '70 383 4 speed car with most of the parts for $1,500. It needs a resto but, the framerails are solid.

I would pass on the one you mentioned for a restoration but, to the right person, it maybe worth the price in parts for another car. The missing title can be a problem too.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BigBlockSam

if you really want it. low ball him. $800. you can always go up.  with your offer
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

ramit

RD

800-1000 tops.. non-numbers matching, missing sheetmetal, rust and no title?  the interior better all be there.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

PocketThunder

$800 tops. i agree.... the fenders will cost you $300 a piece minumum.  The replacement sheet metal for the rear will cost $1200.  Hood and doors are easy to find still.  Grill will cost you a $1000 easy...  engines blocks are everywhere...  So your in it for another $2800 right off the start. 
So take your inital $2000 + $2800 = $4800, keep saving and buy a much better starter car in California or somewhere dry out west and drag it home....  I live in the midwest and i know all about the types of cars you're looking at.  I bought a $500 68 Charger and after i'm done restoring it, doing exactly the same things your gonna do, i'm in it for $15,000 total  I could (and should) have bought a running driving car for $15,500 and not have to wait 2 years to drive it....

Even if its going to the bank and getting a loan for $10,000 and buying a Charger now, its alot easier to make a $200 a month muscle car payments, than it is to try and search for parts, find time to work on the car, deal with the frustrations...etc....

Try this one
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/6/7/81564967.htm

or this one might be fun and its probably not too far from you.
http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/7/81968377.htm

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

jaak

trav (69charger2002) eBayed a 68 parts car last week, was solid, had fenders, doors, no interior, though. and I think he sold it for like 300-400 bucks. A parts car is a parts car If the guy wants more than 400-500, with the description you gave, I personally would walk away, but if you really want it I would start @ $300, but definatly no more than 500. Just my  :Twocents:  Good luck, though, if you don't get it hang in there something better will come along.

rare69

that sounds like quite a project, listen to these guys they know what their talking about.its nothing to dump 30-40G's on a big project like that.trust me i know first hand.

jrayk

thanks for the feedback guys.

I am going to visit the car friday anyway to take a look at it...

We'll see, it may be worth a grand for parts.

Thanks again

4402tuff4u

"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Highbanked Hauler

The title is a good point, has anyone gotten one of those for a better word(REPRODUCTION)titles for a non titled car and if so how much of a problem was it??
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

PocketThunder

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 29, 2005, 02:07:54 PM
The title is a good point, has anyone gotten one of those for a better word(REPRODUCTION)titles for a non titled car and if so how much of a problem was it??

My old roommate bought a '67 Dart out of Cali with no title and applied for a lost title here in MN with a bill of sale.  the state required that he post a bond with a bonding company to protect the state from anyone comming back for the car.  He has to post the bond for 3 years ($150 a year or something on a $3000 agreed value).  then he's free and clear...  but the state is not easy about doing this, i guess he knew a lady that worked at the DMV and she helped him out....  but i'm sure its the law to help anyone out with the same situation..
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img