News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Achy Brakey Heart

Started by billschroeder5842, December 19, 2010, 10:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billschroeder5842

I have a brake question I'd throwing out there before I jump in....

I have a '69 with drums all the way around. They are relatively new (less than 2.5k miles) as I had new shoes and reground the drums.

Here is the question...when I apply the brakes, I hear a "clack" in the brakes as then engage. This happend forward, reverse whenever. The performace of the brakes as fine--they stop nicely and do not pull-they just clack when I step on the pedal.

Also, while slowing down, just before stopping, I get the occasional "Squeal" from them. Not all the time just some times.

So what is up?

Oh, if I do need to adjust them, do I "spin the star wheel" from top to bottom or bottom to top?

Thanks!
Texas Proud!

Cooter

You really need to swap to front disc brakes, as there's really no reason to run the old, antiquated, drum set up any longer...But, since you are, I've seen drums "turned" [machined] by inexperienced brake techs and actually put little grooves in the drum to where the brake shoe rides them out and CLACK! they slam into the backing plates...With that said, it could be any number of things when dealing with squeals, noises, etc. I've also seen the backing plates NOT GREASED when the new shoes were installed...(Area where the shoe rests on the backing plate), this will cause a noise as well....It could simply be that the semi-metallic material the shoes are made of today instead of the "Organic" [read: Asbestos], may be causing a squeek or two...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

billschroeder5842

So, it looks like I'm taking it apart of the holidays. Thanks!
Texas Proud!