News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone know either of these shops in TX?

Started by jdiesel33, November 16, 2010, 09:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdiesel33

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/aos/2052539318.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/aos/2001690757.html

Back on the search for good, dependable, and reasonable paint and body services. So far the first 3 tries have all flaked out on me. I dont even know where to turn or who to trust at this point.

Thanks
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

FLG

Id stay away from the first one because of the simple fact they don't know how to spell or use grammar. You'd think if your going to place and add to gain customers and show off your "experience" that you would at least take the time out to get the spelling and grammar correct.

terrible one

I have to disagree just a bit. I get where you are coming from FLG, but I've met plenty of people in this hobby that are absolute wizards at what they do but would have typed out a worse paragraph than the guy in the first link! I would ask for references from each one and go see the place/ meet the guys in person to start.  :Twocents:

FLG

I know what your saying Terrible, my engine builder was from a different country so his english writing was not the best but it was only between me and him; if your putting something on such a public scale, and you have enough know how to post it in the first place..why not just do a quick spell check?

:shruggy:

jdiesel33

Spelling and grammar I can do. Welding and painting is a different story.  :'( ;D
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
PP1,Black Hat, Black Stripes

terrible one

Quote from: FLG on November 16, 2010, 11:02:31 PM
I know what your saying Terrible, my engine builder was from a different country so his english writing was not the best but it was only between me and him; if your putting something on such a public scale, and you have enough know how to post it in the first place..why not just do a quick spell check?

:shruggy:

You're right about that . . . after taking the time to put the ad together with pictures, it is kind of sloppy to not run it through Word's spell check or something.  :shruggy: But just saying I wouldn't dismiss them just on the bad grammar alone.

472 R/T SE

My Mom's a big shot @ Dallas Dodge so I know several of the guys in parts.  Parts Manager was finishing up a '69 A12 tribute outta regular RR.  They have all Mopar shows there every year too. 

I'll contact a couple of them & get back to ya'.

bull

Quote from: FLG on November 16, 2010, 10:01:19 PM
Id stay away from the first one because of the simple fact they don't know how to spell or use grammar. You'd think if your going to place and add to gain customers and show off your "experience" that you would at least take the time out to get the spelling and grammar correct.

Or, if you're going to correct some incorrect spelling and grammar get the phrase "your going to place and add" correct by saying "you're going to place an ad" instead, and use an apostrophe in the contraction "I'd" at the beginning. :D :nana:

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on November 17, 2010, 12:46:35 AM
My Mom's a big shot @ Dallas Dodge so I know several of the guys in parts.  Parts Manager was finishing up a '69 A12 tribute outta regular RR.  They have all Mopar shows there every year too. 

I'll contact a couple of them & get back to ya'.

Like to know also never know when you need them. :2thumbs:
Going to try myself, if doesn't work out then I will go to pro's or fanatics!!!
Patrick  :punkrocka:

FLG

Quote from: bull on November 17, 2010, 02:06:54 AM

Or, if you're going to correct some incorrect spelling and grammar get the phrase "your going to place and add" correct by saying "you're going to place an ad" instead, and use an apostrophe in the contraction "I'd" at the beginning. :D :nana:

Your an "A" hole.

Lol

Ya get my drift. I'm not trying to be the grammar police as I am lacking myself, but if I was writing an ad...id make sure it was correct.

472 R/T SE

We're here to serve & correct.   ;)

FLG

Man you guys are real ball busters sometimes.
:smilielol:

I couldn't care less about grammar or spelling, but would you guys make ads or business cards that have grammer or spelling mistakes would ya?

I don't know about you but when someone takes the time out to make that ad, but not the time to get the details correct, what's to say that's not the same work they do on your car? That shop might be great, but first impressions are the ones we remember and advertising can make or break businesses.

Brock Samson

Dans 68

Quote from: jdiesel33 on November 16, 2010, 11:06:23 PM
Spelling and grammar I can do. Welding and painting is are a different story.  :'( ;D

;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

xs29j8Bullitt

Quote from: jdiesel33 on November 16, 2010, 09:54:50 PM
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/aos/2052539318.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/aos/2001690757.html

Back on the search for good, dependable, and reasonable paint and body services. So far the first 3 tries have all flaked out on me. I dont even know where to turn or who to trust at this point.

Thanks

I know how you are feeling... been there myself!

My advice:

1) Trust no body shop at first, get every estimate, every word, in writing.  Try to get itemized billing show what was done for every group of hours worked on the car.  Have them state on the invoices that the billing is up to date as of the date of the invoice.

2) Many, even most body shops will exceed the estimate to some degree.  Sometimes it is for a valid reason, like hidden areas of rust uncovered during dis-assembly.  Other times it is because they have "set the hook", and are reeling in their fish (sucker).  Have at least 15-20% reserve built into your budget.

3) Have realistic expectations... and try to avoid increasing you goal after starting the project, unless you have the $$$ to back it up.

4) Avoid these two shops IMO:

Huls Auto Works:  http://www.hulsautoworks.com/Home.html
         Nevada, Texas
         Graig worked on two of my cars, I can provide photos of his work... can also provide contact to other previous customers

Blue Mound Automotive... no website, unless you count my thread:
         Saginaw, Texas

The craftsmanship of BMA is mentioned at various points in the loooong thread, like starting at Reply 1274 near the bottom of this page:
          http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,33799.1250.html
          Joe only worked on my Charger 500... with over $19K spent for little salvageable work, that was enough.

A friend has used a bodyshop in the Lewisville area (IIRC) and we are taking his Demon back to have it repaired after someone damaged it during a break-in at his storage unit.  He has had 3-4 cars worked on there and likes their work and prices...  I might take a camera along and see what they have going... I believe it is a regular body shop instead of a restoration shop...

Allen
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

vancamp

i know of a guy about 4 hours away from dallas, excellent work at reasonable prices one man shop looks like an unorganized hole in the wall but turns out great work.

jb666

Quote from: bull on November 17, 2010, 02:06:54 AM

:rofl: :rofl:

He got ya there, Frankie!!!

BK's in Texas... Be careful  :o