News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

water temp sending unit help?

Started by mikes4692003, June 28, 2010, 06:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes4692003

on a 1969 charger with a 383 is there any place else to put the sendind unit besides on the waterpump

hemi68charger

If you're referring to a factory-style sending unit, nope. The only alternative place would be some type of plug may go into the factory hole that's usually plugged on the top of the water pump housing............
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

mikes4692003

WAS GOING TO ADD  A AFTERMARKET GUAGE  JUST TO SEE IF THE ORIGINAL IS RIGHT PROBLEM IS WITHOUT THERMASTATE TEMP ABOUT 180 WITH THERMASTATE TEMP 250

hemi68charger

I would go get a cooking thermometer, one of the types with a dial indicator for cooking, say roasts. Sometimes you can find these are your local grocery store in the cooking accessory isle.. Make sure the max range of the temperature span is over 500 degrees... Fire up the engine with the radiator cap off (place the thermometer in the opening) and let run until the thermostat opens. Once open, you can check to see if the factory gauge reads something similar to the real thermometer. This is how I found out my former C500 wasn't really overheating albeit the factory gauge indicated 250+ degree... I got an OEM Chrysler temperature sending unit and problem solved..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

histoy

I bought one of the hand-held digital thermometers.   It has an infrared sighting beam.  I used it to read the temp of the thermostat housing.   Sears carries them, as well as some other suppliers.

0X01B8

Quote from: histoy on June 28, 2010, 01:49:20 PM
I bought one of the hand-held digital thermometers.   It has an infrared sighting beam.  I used it to read the temp of the thermostat housing.   Sears carries them, as well as some other suppliers.

I use mine all the time, not just for the car.  It's also good for finding leaks around doors and windows to keep the cold out during the winter, etc, blah, blah, blah, stuff like that.

Anyway, I had to change the thermostat this weekend and found that the stock temperature gauge is surprisingly accurate.  At least mine seems to be.

TylerCharger69

FWIW....I got a thermostat housing with a fitting to house a temp gauge and/or sending unit.....If you arent worried about factory correctness of course

62 Max

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 28, 2010, 07:50:38 AM
If you're referring to a factory-style sending unit, nope. The only alternative place would be some type of plug may go into the factory hole that's usually plugged on the top of the water pump housing............

Like this.Get a one inch pipe thread bushing with whatever temp sending unit thread size.Have both units on my bird and they are within afew degree's of each other.

crzyc68

TylerCharger69, where did you get the housing you are talking about, if you don't mind me asking.