News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

buying a new cam and need advice

Started by BigBlockSam, November 14, 2010, 10:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

hi guys

i want a new cam for my 383 . i want a cam that i can run my stock converter and has a good idle but i want to hear a little rumble too . a little stronger than stock 1969 383 . hopefully a three bolt cam . cause i have a nice set of timing gears that are 3 bolt but would consider a 1 bolt cam.

what do you guys think of the 270 MAGNUM cam from comp cams . Rene

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMP-CAMS-383-440-CHRYSLER-270-MAGNUM-3-BOLT-CAM-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b0d00777QQitemZ140405376887QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

doctor4766

Dude, I'm on a mission to let people know that if you buy a magnum resto cam from MR there is a good chance it will be incorrectly packaged and you will have a major headache working out why your engine runs like a bag of sh1t trying to get a refund from them.
So, as I would normally have suggested that camshaft I would try another brand.
The Crane cam that I now have in my 383 works as it should and is 200% better than the MP cam that wasn't what it should have been.

Gotta love a '69

frederick

"Dude, I'm on a mission to let people know that if you buy a magnum resto cam from MR there is a good chance it will be incorrectly packaged and you will have a major headache working out why your engine runs like a bag of sh1t trying to get a refund from them."

The camshaft bigblocksam is referring to is not a MP cam but a Comp cam.

Difficult to say if that will be the right cam for you without knowing the rest of the specifications.

BigBlockSam

QuoteDifficult to say if that will be the right cam for you without knowing the rest of the specifications

your rite here are the specs

1969 383

stock compression . i believe it'd 9 3/4 to 1

stock intake

600 eddy carb

hp exhaust manifolds

Mallory Unilite Distributor

msd coil

i appreciate any help . i have a habit of going to big with my cams

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

doctor4766

Quote from: frederick on November 15, 2010, 09:12:25 AM

The camshaft bigblocksam is referring to is not a MP cam but a Comp cam.

Difficult to say if that will be the right cam for you without knowing the rest of the specifications.

Yeah I realise that, but was just pointing out that should he be pointed in that direction by anyone he should be wary.
Gotta love a '69

frederick

I think you will be dissapointed by the actual compression of your 383.
It's not likely it's anywhere near 9.75, more like 8.5:1 if you're lucky.

My 383 was 8.2:1, with 90cc 452 cylinder heads and stock cast pistons 0.043 down the hole.
With milled stealth heads(75cc) I got it up to 9.7:1, running a Lunati Voodoo 60302 with 262/268 duration @0.050 and 0.475"/0.495" lift.
Pulls hard from around 2300rpm.

By the way this is a bit of a contradiction:
".. has a good idle but i want to hear a little rumble too "

Bigger cam means more lumpy idle and wore mileage, but also potentially more power.
You need to decide which is most important.

If a bit of an idle is important I'd go one of these cams:
-Comp cams 268H
-Crower  265H
-Lunati 60301
If mileage is important, go with a smaller cam.

You could also fill in a cam recommendation form, and see what they recommend
http://www.lunatipower.com/FindMyCam.aspx

red79

I'd also like to recommend calling Engle Cams, they have some great grinds for mopar that take advantage of our big .904" lifters. Personally, Chris is grinding me a three bolt K56 with 224@0.050", 112˚LSA, with 0.504" lift--should give me great efficiency and idle for my DD with the shorter duration large separation, while still flowing great with the 0.504 for massive low end tire churping  :cheers: