News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

axle gaskets

Started by el dub, November 09, 2010, 05:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el dub

So my question is how many gaskets are on the axle and where do they go. When I took my axles out I had one metal gasket behind the axle retainer plate. In other words it sat aginst the outside of the backing plate. In looking at drawings some show two gaskets, some one. While searching hear I saw what looked like a white gasket against the backing plate. Does a gasket go on the backside of the backing plate and the axle housing end flange? Thanks for any help.
                                         Larry
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Just 6T9 CHGR

Steel gasket goes between backing plate & axle tube......white foam gasket goes between axle retaining flange & backing plate
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

el dub

Thanks for that 69 CHGR. The white foam gasket, easy part to get from auto supply stores or is it special?

BIGBLCK11

I found this older post when I did mine. Worked perfect.  All available at O'Reilly auto parts in my area. Thanks to the op, smasherofall.

I heard BCA are as good as Timken.  One of the Fel-Pro #'s is a prior discontinued number, i don't recall which, the parts store will confirm. The new gasket is coated metal, like a head gasket (much nicer).

Quote from: smasherofall on October 21, 2005, 03:01:43 PM
BCA # is A-7 for the bearings, National #'s for the seals: inner  8695S, outer 8704S. gaskets for the housings Fel-pro  #13800 and 55032

el dub

Thanks for the info big block.
                            Larry

lighting74

wouldnt be a bad idea to change the axle seals out since u got it down that far on both sides its right inside the housing pop the old one out and drive a new one in there like $5 at a local part store easly with a  socket thats the same size be careful not to egg shape it or it will leak