News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tax dollars at work -- Navy carrier copter crash video

Started by bull, December 28, 2005, 09:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inhrmswy

Ive seen a few helicopter and plane crashes since Ive been in the navy.  the one that came out the best is the F14 that was going to break the sound barrier as it flew over us at about 250ft off the water.  the first one went by and broke the sound barrier no problem.  We saw the puff of condensation as it made its sonic boom.  Pretty cool I must say.  Then the second one made its approach.  Saw it start to make the condensation puff, then we saw parts start to fly off of the back of the thing.  It pulled up just off our starboard side and exploded.  We didnt see the pilots parachutes untill after the thing blew up.  Nothing creapier than floating through a bunch of burning wreckage.  Both pilots survived and we had them out of the water in 7 minutes from the time their plane fell apart underneath of them.  There have been other wrecks Ive seen and a few close calls I was there for. but that one was the worst possible with the best possible outcome.

Charger_Fan

I think I saw that helicopter clip on the news a year or two ago. That would suck.

Quote from: inhrmswy on December 28, 2005, 10:22:32 AM
Ive seen a few helicopter and plane crashes since Ive been in the navy.   the one that came out the best is the F14 that was going to break the sound barrier as it flew over us at about 250ft off the water.   the first one went by and broke the sound barrier no problem.   We saw the puff of condensation as it made its sonic boom.   Pretty cool I must say.   Then the second one made its approach.   Saw it start to make the condensation puff, then we saw parts start to fly off of the back of the thing.   It pulled up just off our starboard side and exploded.   We didnt see the pilots parachutes untill after the thing blew up.   Nothing creapier than floating through a bunch of burning wreckage.   Both pilots survived and we had them out of the water in 7 minutes from the time their plane fell apart underneath of them.   There have been other wrecks Ive seen and a few close calls I was there for. but that one was the worst possible with the best possible outcome.
Wow, that's quite a story! :o I'm glad the pilots were ok.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

4402tuff4u

I'm surprised that fence held up the strain of the copter. That copter did look like he was coming in to low. For a second I thought he was going to land in the water by mistake.  :o
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

John_Kunkel

Quote from: inhrmswy on December 28, 2005, 10:22:32 AM
Then the second one made its approach.   Saw it start to make the condensation puff, then we saw parts start to fly off of the back of the thing.   It pulled up just off our starboard side and exploded.   We didnt see the pilots parachutes untill after the thing blew up.   Nothing creapier than floating through a bunch of burning wreckage.   Both pilots survived and we had them out of the water in 7 minutes from the time their plane fell apart underneath of them.   There have been other wrecks Ive seen and a few close calls I was there for. but that one was the worst possible with the best possible outcome.

Is this the incident?

http://www.adrenalnjunky.com/media/F14flyby.mpg
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

BLAM

Bunch of Marines lost their lives in that helicopter accident!  They couldn't get their fully loaded packs off quickly and they sank like rocks.  We developed a new quick release LBE for the Marines to improve their chances of living through any future seaborne accidents.
RLTW - "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

bluesfool

Yeah, the video is kinda' cool to look at and think "oops", until you realize how much of a tragedy that really is. I used to fly for the navy and, although I flew as a crewmember in the back of an airplane, we had to undergo training in a "helicopter dunker" as a matter of routine. The dunker simulated exactly what you see in the video and I don't mind telling you that despite doing the practice in an enclosed pool, surrounded by safety divers, it was still a scary experience. I can only imagine what those on board were thinking as their "normal" expected landing suddenly and unexpectedly turned into a nightmare. It doesn't take much to get a top-heavy helicopter off balance when something is holding it down on one side...it takes even less for that top heavy helicopter to roll over in the water and sink like an extremely heavy rock.

inhrmswy

Yes that was the one I was talking about.  that happened during our first 6 month deployment to the persian gulf.  The pilot escaped unscathed and the rio had burns on his face and hands.  They spoke to us on the messdecks after they were checked over by medical.  Thanked us for saving them so quickly.

gremlinsteve

i believe the helicopter was in hyrdaulics failure. trageic no less and a good attempt at landing a helicopter under those conditions on a moving ship at sea. if youve never done it, well, lets just call it a controlled crash.
since i am an aviator, i can say ive done it. dont like it, wont do it again.

steve

1970440RT

Quote from: gremlinsteve on December 29, 2005, 01:17:46 AM
i believe the helicopter was in hyrdaulics failure. trageic no less and a good attempt at landing a helicopter under those conditions on a moving ship at sea. if youve never done it, well, lets just call it a controlled crash.
since i am an aviator, i can say ive done it. dont like it, wont do it again.

steve

A CH 46 with hydraulic failure, what a surprise.  As a jarhead, the first time I got on one I tramped through a puddle of hydraulic fluid, the crew chief saw the puzzled look on my face and said don't worry, it is normal.  He said if there isn't any on the floor, then get off as fast as you can because there is something wrong!  I felt like throwing up.

gremlinsteve

until we got rid of the huey's, we could fly them without hyd. pressure. then it blackhawks came. they have a back up for the backup. you take a guess why.
chinooks have a pump assy. in the rear for crewchief to add fluids if needed. great helicopters. small problems here and there. fluid story has been passed around for years. anything aviation with a "leak" is grounded. "seeps" and "drips" on the other hand are measure for the amount. military standards in aviation are alot tighter that civilian world standards btw.

again, small problems. chinnoks like to have the engines blow up. especially on start up.
dont stand near em!

steve-o

1970440RT

I think when the crewchiefs see a bunch of fng's coming on board, the sop is to pour a little on the floor just to see the reaction.  If I was them, I would do the same thing. 

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 1970440RT on December 29, 2005, 03:57:07 PM
I think when the crewchiefs see a bunch of fng's coming on board, the sop is to pour a little on the floor just to see the reaction.   If I was them, I would do the same thing.  
Of course! Never miss a chance to mess with the FNG's! :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

John_Kunkel

I think when the crewchiefs see a bunch of fng's coming on board, the sop is to pour a little on the floor just to see the reaction.   If I was them, I would do the same thing.  

How do you explain the hydraulic "B" nuts with drops or the soaked insulation above the puddle on the floor?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

gremlinsteve

its all in how its written up in the log book.
word it right, and she will still fly!

every good crewchief has extra cans of hyd fluid. its a must.

for the record, im not a chinook guy.
18 years army avaiator tho. just never went to the chinook side. of course these days it being used alot!

steve

Steve P.

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 29, 2005, 04:20:20 PM

How do you explain the hydraulic "B" nuts with drops or the soaked insulation above the puddle on the floor?

Come on , John, You know that comes from flying INVERTED!!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

gremlinsteve

or flying in china!

steve-o

Come on , John, You know that comes from flying INVERTED!!!!!!!!!! :icon_smile_big:

1970440RT

Quote from: gremlinsteve on December 29, 2005, 06:18:58 PM
its all in how its written up in the log book.
word it right, and she will still fly!

every good crewchief has extra cans of hyd fluid. its a must.

for the record, im not a chinook guy.
18 years army avaiator tho. just never went to the chinook side. of course these days it being used alot!

steve

Chinook?  What is a Chinook?  ;)  I always felt safer in a 53 than a SEA KNIGHT any way.  The 53's don't seem to have that hydraulic leak problem when inverted.