News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

valvetrain failure...

Started by oldschool, November 11, 2010, 02:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldschool

this is what happens when you don't match the right parts, for the application. these are my indy 1.6,s that broke. they are from 2 different motors. it was my fault.the spring pressure was just too high.260# on the seat 690# @ 1.300". oddly, both broke on cyl no 1,intake.it did not hurt anything on the motor thou.

here are pics of what replaced them. they are t&d 1.6,s i replaced all 3 set,s for all the 500" motors.they are very nice. the only thing i dont like,is that they are very loud. also some pics of my jesels on my 580.

valvetrain is not the place to skimp, as i found out. the money you save on cheap rockers, you could easily spend many times over on fixing broken parts.
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

elacruze

I'm with you there...I'm afraid to add up all the receipts north of the cam on mine, and it's only a .572" flat tappet.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

firefighter3931

The Indy/Dove rockers just aren't strong enough for roller spring pressures. Probably fine for 500-600 passes at the track with a roller cam but for continuous street duty they are a grenade with the pin pulled....it's just a matter of when  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Challenger340

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 11, 2010, 07:56:57 PM
The Indy/Dove rockers just aren't strong enough for roller spring pressures. Probably fine for 500-600 passes at the track with a roller cam but for continuous street duty they are a grenade with the pin pulled....it's just a matter of when  ;)

Ron

It's amazing what will live in "Track Only" Duty, compared to the demands of street driving !

Here's some "lowly" Crane Golds, that SURVIVE Roller Cam Pressures(275# Seat, plus 700# over the nose), in a Track only environment.
NOT my first choice obviously,
but,
can't argue with the Customer.

Here they are "INTACT" as the Engine just came back for it's 250 Pulls(High 8 sec 1/4 mile) "freshening".
Yes,
we cycle them out for good measure, but they still LIVE !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

Why do you think they only broke on the no. 1 cylinder?  Just coincidence?

morepower

I love the comp pro mangnum all steel rocker arms. Ive read too much bad stuff about any aluminum body one. especially pro form/summit brand
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

PA Dodger

I just reread an article about rocker arm selection in an older issue of MoparAction. It was scarey to see the pic of the Proform rocker arm barely touching the edge of the valve tip.

'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

morepower

when I originally installed pro form rockers on my car they didnt have solid spacer they had springs...We started the car and the rockers were walking off the valve tip and going onto the keeper. Eventually they would have push down ont eh keeper and we all know what would have happened. so fired up the lathe and made some aluminum spacers for it. Then i broke a few pushrods and I was like well...not worth it. put the stamped stockers back on. But got comp rocker arms for the new engine. all steel. I love them but dont know about thier performaance yet
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

scoobyinc

Hello, I just bought a set of roller rockers for my mild built 1969 charger 440 and was wonder what the lash needs to be set at?
Own a 1969 Dodge Charger R/T General Lee. Been racing 01 schemed Renegade & Sportsman cars since 1995. Own a Dodge Viper with a complete balanced & rotating SCCA Arrow motor & it SUPERCHARGED! My truck is a 2008 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Cummins. Love my DODGE'S!!!