News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP!! Painting Problems Part 2

Started by sixpack_sid, October 02, 2010, 08:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I am STILL trying to paint my Charger! This was my 3rd attempt. I cleaned the garage from top to bottom, wet the floor and wiped down the car 3x with wax & grease remover & blue shop towels before picking up my gun and shooting the base coat. (I am doing a base/clear coat )
When I started spraying, what looked like lint particles was all over the panels. I can't figure this out! So I took a clean junk tailgate and wiped that down the same way and painted it---same result. It looks like the paint is actually bubbling up on the panel about a minute or so after it is on. I took the cap off my gun cup and noticed the same thing inside the lid. So I looked at the mixing cup I used, there was a little paint at the bottom, and swirled that around inside the cup. The paint looked fine there. I did strain it into the gun from the mixing cup and have a filter inside the gun. I am baffled! I don't understand what is happening here.
I clean my gun with laquer thinner, and put the tip into a jar of it when I store it so it stays clean. Could the lacquer thinner somehow be mixing with the paint in the gun cup? Or is there a reaction to the wax & grease remover that I cleaned the car with? I got it from the paint store where I bought the paint. I am using Keystone brand ValuPro base/clear coat with medium thinner.
I just want to get this car painted! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

hemi-hampton

You should be thinning with  reducer not thinner. Are you using the appropriate reducer with the base. Some call it Stabilizer, ect, ect.  Did you use a tack rag, blue shop towel may of left lint behind if not tacked off? possible old paint lifting. I'd have to be there myself to see whats going on & what mistakes are being made. LEON.

p.s. never heard of Keystone. By some PPG, Dupont, or BASF.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 02, 2010, 09:09:33 PM
You should be thinning with  reducer not thinner. Are you using the appropriate reducer with the base. Some call it Stabilizer, ect, ect.  Did you use a tack rag, blue shop towel may of left lint behind if not tacked off? possible old paint lifting. I'd have to be there myself to see whats going on & what mistakes are being made. LEON.

p.s. never heard of Keystone. By some PPG, Dupont, or BASF.

The thinner they gave me works with the base they gave me. I bought it together. I did not use a tack rag-I don't have much luck with them. I did not see any lint on the car after I used the blue towels. I did sand down the "particles". It seemed to have penetrated into the paint, because when I sanded it down, I actually had to sand the whole coat off to get it out. It seemed more like paint than lint.
Sorry I don't have any pics.
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

motorcitydak

How about your air source? You should have a filter on the inlet then an air/water seperator on the outlet then another filter rite at your gun. Also remember to open the valve on the bottom of your air tank to drain the water out
96 Dakota, custom everything 4x4, 5.7 HEMI
'68 charger project
[OO!!!!!!!!!OO]

AdamMopar

You do need to tack off before you spray so that is one possible issue.  Even with the Scott blue towels there will still be particles left behind.  A tack cloth is mandatory.

Possibly not related to this, but possibly some of your other problems, but get rid of the strainer in the gun.  It is unnecessary and usually causes more issues than anything else.

Do you have the p-sheet for what you are spraying with?   You should be following everything on their exactly, and not what the jobber may have told you.

Cleaning your gun with lacquer thinner is fine as long as it has all flashed off/out before you spray.

With the wax and grease remover, how long are you waiting before you start spraying after you wipe down the panels?  It does need time to flash off.   What I typically do if I am able to is wipe everything down the night before.  The morning I'm ready to spray I tack off the panels, that way I'm sure it has all flashed off.

Finally, as I mentioned before, do not spray anything else on the car until after you get your process down.  That means test panels only until you figure out what is going on and can document a clear process to follow to avoid any issues.

TylerCharger69

From what i am reading here....I believe the trouble is  One....the blue shop towels are not good....use tack cloths,  not to mention use prep-all or something over the entire car before the tack rag    Two.....Using thinner instead of reducer...Depending on the climate,   you need either fast, medium, or a slow reducer.  (Use a slow reducer for hot temperatures) Three....Yes....use a good quality paint such as  PPG   (my choice)   And Four.....It seems that you may be putting too much material on the car and its flashing too fast  before it has a chance to  "flow".

elitecustombody

As few mentioned, tack cloth is a must, unless you like trash and lint in your new paint.
But there is nothing wrong with using blue shop towels, I've been using them for nearly 10 years.

It almost sounds like you have wrong solvent/reducer/basemaker/stabilizer.Or you're just mixing wrong stuff together

I say find someone local to stop by and at the least check your materials ,air supply and gun settings. Maybe stop by couple paint shops and talk to a painter and see if he's willing to go to your house and help you out, offering some cash may help :Twocents: I would love to help for free if you were within hour from Jax Florida

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

68ChargerJMP

I would stop right now, dont do anything else. Go see if you can find a crash course body work/paint class somewhere. Paint stores will usually have some info if there is something nearby. If you continue, its never getting any better than the first layer on the car, which is probably not that great, Im assuming. Im not slamming you in any way, Im just speaking from alot of experience around paint/body work, and would rather you get a decent outcome on your car. If you are hellbent on doing it yourself, thats cool, I understand that too. You just need to understand painting is not rocket science, but it does have steps that have to be followed... the more perfect you can follow through with on each step, the better the final product will be. Problems will compound with painting. If it were me, I would have done this, in this order. Bare metal.....DP90.....Rage Gold.....K36......Sealer.......DBC base....DCU Clear...Cut it, Buff it....Done. It can be done in a garage, including paint, although a booth is preferred for the painting. Its just tougher to control the enviroment in a garage.  Just remember if theres garbage under the paint, its only a matter of time, before it surfaces. Then its back to square one, but worse,because the car is now all together. Do it right the first time, have it done, or just be happy with the outcome. Those are really your only choices. Good luck.

sixpack_sid

I FINALLY GOT IT PAINTED!! I took my time, read over all the advice again, made SURE I tacked off between base coats-I got good tack rags from the paint supply store-not those crappy Bondo tack cloths. I had a really nice finish for the base coat! No garbage, no runs-perfect! The clear coat was like a glue trap! So sticky. The 1st coat went on a little dry, so I opened up my gun some more and the 2nd coat went on like glass! That's where I got some lint in the paint-the clear is so sticky! Anyways, I figure I can buff it out in the spring. At least everything is painted and coated and I can move on thru the winter.
Thanks for all the advice!

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

nvrbdn

Quote from: 1HotDaytona on October 26, 2010, 08:09:12 AM
We need pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yesnod:  :paintingpink: cograts on that job. ok now,give us a peek  :scope:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Bobs69

Persistance paid off.  I'm no painter but I have played around with it and know how time consuming it is.

Silver R/T

Probably want to wet sand and buff it soon. If you let some clears dry too long you'll have hard time cutting it later on.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

hemi-hampton

Congratulations :2thumbs:  Let's see some Pics :yesnod:  LEON.

chargd72

All this help and still no pics...   :shruggy:

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

sixpack_sid

Sorry it took soo long to get back to you guys. I haven't had time to take pics. I've been trying to paint the dash pieces before the frost hit.
Here are some pics. Thanks guys for all your help!!

sixpack_sid

Here's the cowl.

sixpack_sid

knitz01

nvrbdn

well, there you are! taking the picture in the shine of the hood. looking good so far :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

hemi-hampton

Some wet sanding & rubbing & it will really look good :2thumbs: LEON.