News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake frustration *new ? *

Started by grdprx, August 04, 2010, 12:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

Thanks BBD, I may have an air pocket, I'll try the bleed again.. But I'm fairly certain I got the air out.

I had done the push rod test earlier, and still had stuck calipers.  I found a thread on the proportioning valve, and this guy replaced everything on his brakes, and ran into the same issue.  Ended up swapping the old valve back in, and it worked.  The "New" valve was the issue.  So, since I have the 72 valve in my kit, I may look for a different one.

I found the old 68 version in a box, but my brake lines aren't set up for it.

We'll see how it works out.  Here's the thread I am referencing.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,34436.0.html

grdprx

So, I've been trying to work through this issue.  Seems that my re-popped proportioning valve has a 50% fail rate!   :RantExplode:  I found a few examples on here of people having issues with the new unit.  The vendor gave me that figure, who knows if it's correct, and the part is no longer made.  So, they can't exchange it.   :brickwall:  Although I see them still on ebay, but I'm not forking out $80-$100 on a 50-50 chance!

I got an old valve off ebay, but I can't get fluid to the rear brakes.  So, I thought I'd be a genius and replace the front metering valve on the re-popped unit from an original setup.  Well, of course, they are not the same.  The first pic is the re-popped piece, 2nd is off ebay.  The main issue is that the inside of the cylinder tapers more on the re-popped piece. 

So, I started taking the old valve apart, see if I could unplug the rear.  I have a couple questions.  With the Proportioning valve on this, does that tube still in there come out, and how would I get it out?   How can I get the copper fitting out safely, that attaches to the rear brake line?

I sprayed brake cleaner through the bottom, but it doesn't come out anywhere.   :shruggy:

grdprx

Well, I've got an update on my situation.

I called the vendor of the brake kit, asked what my options were.  They had an upgrade to the kit I bought that would give me the correct distribution block and prop valve for my 68, only $50!  So, I jumped on that.   Although, they weren't 100% sure what to do about the brake lines, so they told me to see what I needed once the part arrived.  The lines off the Master fit, but the rest didn't...  So, I pulled out my box of brake line stuff, seems I had a set of spare lines.  I vaguely recall getting the wrong lines for that 71 prop valve back when I originally installed my brakes.  Turns out they sent the lines I need now, back then; so I had a set of brand new lines for the correct 68 valves, including the 10" piece that goes between the distribution block and the prop valve!  Score!   :2thumbs:

Got all that changed out over the course of a couple weekends.  Took some time to get the Wif out to help me bleed the brakes... But, I tested them this evening; no rotor freeze.  I pressed the pedal 6-8 times & stomped on it, without the motor running.  So far, so good.  I'll try and test drive it the next dry day, perhaps Wednesday.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img