News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anything wrong going with Mopar Econo torque converters?

Started by russg, March 04, 2010, 03:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russg

Can pick them up for under $300.  Just need the nice streetable 1800-2100 stall unit.  I assume they can't be all bad since the one on my car has to be 37 years old.
73 Charger SE, 383, Headman headers, Holley 670 SA, Flowmaster Super 44's

b5blue

Ghoste

I had one once and didn't have any issues with it.  I only ran it for about a year but it worked fine and it saw a little abuse in that period as well.

firefighter3931

For $300 i would go with a Dynamic 11in unit...it is a much better converter.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

russg

From what I can see, the Dynamic 11" has a 2600-3200 stall speed which I think is a little higher than I want to go on my mostly steet machine.  Are the Mancini branded converters any good?

firefighter3931

Quote from: russg on March 05, 2010, 12:35:21 PM
From what I can see, the Dynamic 11" has a 2600-3200 stall speed which I think is a little higher than I want to go on my mostly steet machine.  Are the Mancini branded converters any good?

Don't worry about the "rated" stall speed. The converter will only flash up when you abruptly floor the pedal.  :yesnod:

Under normal driving conditions it will drive just like a stock converter.  ;)

It's a common misconception that converters stall at their rated stall speed everytime you push the pedal. A good quality converter will feel very tight under normal driving conditions. I have a 9.5in dynamic 4000 stall in my car and you can't tell it's in there....until you mash the pedal. That's when the fun begins.  :icon_smile_big:

Russ, that 11in dynamic should stall around 2500 rpm with your mild 383. Of course that will only happen from a dead stop and you nailing the loud pedal. Otherwise it will behave much like your factory converter.  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

skip68

skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

aifilaw

it may be a chevy site, but very good information.

http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415639

I'm a big fan of "smaller"converters (9") for torque producing motors where high multipliers and quick converter flashing reaction times are essential, but that's not what most people want who drag race (big converters with lower multipliers for a good stall and launch).
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

greenpigs

Ron recomended the 10 inch street dynamic for me but I think I will go with the 11 inch one. This is a cost issue as the 10 inch needs a new flexplate and 7/16 bolts. Be about 300 more and thats to much right now.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Challenger340

Quote from: russg on March 04, 2010, 03:35:23 PM
Can pick them up for under $300.  Just need the nice streetable 1800-2100 stall unit.  I assume they can't be all bad since the one on my car has to be 37 years old.

It depends who the supplier is that manufactures the Convertors ?
Back in the Day, Mopar used to get "their" Convertors from Turbo Action, a very good Company and Great Product, dunno these Days or how a Guy could find out ?
Maybe phone T/A and ask ?

If you just don't want the hassle of finding out, like Ron said, then Dynamic are a quality safe bet.
:Twocents:
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mefirst

About the Dynamic converters...

They are an ok product, BUT once you open them up and look inside them, you will see that they are NOT any where near a top quality product..

/Tom

russg

Hope they are reliable, Dynamic 11" converter just arrived from Mancini yesterday.. anyone have problems with them?   Due to lack of decent work area and equipt  I will be hiring the local speed shop to install, what is reasonable labor time on this job?

firefighter3931

Quote from: russg on March 12, 2010, 06:19:10 PM
Hope they are reliable, Dynamic 11" converter just arrived from Mancini yesterday.. anyone have problems with them?   Due to lack of decent work area and equipt  I will be hiring the local speed shop to install, what is reasonable labor time on this job?

I would think 3 hrs labor should cover it. Russ, what size are the boltholes on your new dynamic converter ?

I know many who've run a Dynamic converter and no complaints. I'm very happy with mine  :2thumbs:

Ron

aifilaw

3 hours!?!

They must be hiring high school dropouts that had their brains slowed down by weed, I've done that job by myself with the help of a single rolling 1-ton floor jack in an hour and a half :)

you're actually about right for the estimate, hopefully they don't screw it up.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

firefighter3931

Quote from: aifilaw on March 12, 2010, 10:05:50 PM
3 hours!?!

They must be hiring high school dropouts that had their brains slowed down by weed, I've done that job by myself with the help of a single rolling 1-ton floor jack in an hour and a half :)

you're actually about right for the estimate, hopefully they don't screw it up.

There's the book rate and real time. I've done a trans R&R in 60-70 minutes before but i also have done many so it's second nature. Especially easy with factory manifolds....so easy a Caveman could do it !  :lol:

I will say that the TTI headers complicate things somewhat...they fit so snug to the block that you have to loosen them off to access two of the bolts. That adds an extra 1/2hr to the job.  :P

Ron

russg

A quick tape measure on the bolt holes says about 1/4", sound right?  I'm coordinating my rear main seal replacement at same time so hopefully the car will stop leaving it's mark as well.

greenpigs

Just a guess but I think it will take the stock 3\8 bolts and also be able to use your current flex plate. I just assumed the 10 inch would need the larger bolts(7\16) & corresponding flexplate. And I think Ron recommended the 10 inch for several reasons. Whenever I rebuild my 440 it will keep the current Areohead replacement heads so I don't think the motor will be to wild & need the 10 inch. Still it was something about the converter stalling at the near max torque on takeoff and shift points or much closer than what it is now. The 11 inch Dynamic will be JUST FINE for you and much better than stock but you will be giving up a few tenths(?) at the dragstrip. If I am off base can someone correct me?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

Quote from: russg on March 13, 2010, 10:44:30 AM
A quick tape measure on the bolt holes says about 1/4", sound right? 

There are 2 sizes available ; 5/16 & 7/16 so yours are obviosly the smaller of the two which means your stock flexplate bolts will fit the new dynamic converter.

There were 2 different bolt pattern flexplates available for BB mopars 11in and 10in. Your new converter will be a 10in bolt spacing. So, the big question is what size converter is currently in your car...11in or 12in ?

To my knowledge, only 440's came with a 12in converter and all 383's came with an 11in converter. Assuming you have a stock 383 converter everything should line up just fine. If you do have a stock (12in) 440 converter you will need to replace the flexplate.  :yesnod:

Ron

greenpigs

5/16 man thats tiny no wonder they have the 7/16 upgrade. Hmm if I need to swap the flexplate regardless I guess I need  to save up for the 10 inch. That can be a project for next year.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

russg

I believe the original motor in this car was a 400

greenpigs

Quote from: russg on March 12, 2010, 06:19:10 PM

Update?

How did it work ?
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free