News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

VINTAG and Title

Started by PatrickPeeters, November 05, 2010, 01:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickPeeters

My title shows somewhat different vinnumber
VIN says XP29H8B......
Title Says XP29B8B.....

The fitfh number is the only number which is different...

Guessing they made a typo when printing Title..... :brickwall: :brickwall: :RantExplode:

Currently trying to restore hoping this isn't turning in to a problem...
I don't think there was ever made an B or was there?
Patrick  :punkrocka:

PatrickPeeters

How do I know if the fendertag is belonging to the car?
(It was included both not attached to the car)
Is the vin somewhere on the fendertag?

68 RT

I have had this happen a couple of times, just take title too BMV and they will correct it, depending on the state they may want to see the car.

nvrbdn

Quote from: PatrickPeeters on November 05, 2010, 01:41:46 PM
good question i want to hear this answer. what if a car is wrecked at some time and a junk yard fender is used and they retained the fender tag from the new fender since the 70's and 80's really didnt care about what was right. :shruggy:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

learical1

My brother had a somewhat similar problem with his Challenger T/A.   After he bought and insured it, the insurance company mailed a letter stating they had 'fixed' the VIN.  They changed the 5th digit from J (340 6 pack) to U (440 Magnum).  My borther called our insurance agent and told him the engine code was J and only 290 HP, not U and 375 HP.  Agent corrected the VIN.  Two months later, here's another letter stating they 'fixed' the VIN again.  Drove the car to the agent and showed him the 'J'.  Agent corrected the VIN a second time.  You can guess what showed up in the mail 2 months later.  This time, my brother called corporate instead of the agent.  Took the vehicle down to the corporate claims center for Phoenix, along with paperwork from local Dodge dealer stating "J" is a legitimate engine code for 1970, for a 290 HP 340 CID engine.  My brother also explained that, if they changed the VIN a 4th time, someone else would be getting his and my business (at the time, we had 11 cars between us.)   Never had another VIN problem with them. 
Bruce

PatrickPeeters

XP29B8B, as far as I know isn't made in a type 68/69 Charger.....
Also wanna check if the fendertag is the correct one, is there a way?

Quote from: learical1 on November 05, 2010, 02:25:59 PM
My brother had a somewhat similar problem with his Challenger T/A.   After he bought and insured it, the insurance company mailed a letter stating they had 'fixed' the VIN.  They changed the 5th digit from J (340 6 pack) to U (440 Magnum).  My borther called our insurance agent and told him the engine code was J and only 290 HP, not U and 375 HP.  Agent corrected the VIN.  Two months later, here's another letter stating they 'fixed' the VIN again.  Drove the car to the agent and showed him the 'J'.  Agent corrected the VIN a second time.  You can guess what showed up in the mail 2 months later.  This time, my brother called corporate instead of the agent.  Took the vehicle down to the corporate claims center for Phoenix, along with paperwork from local Dodge dealer stating "J" is a legitimate engine code for 1970, for a 290 HP 340 CID engine.  My brother also explained that, if they changed the VIN a 4th time, someone else would be getting his and my business (at the time, we had 11 cars between us.)   Never had another VIN problem with them. 

Ghoste

Patrick is your car a 68 or 69?

Troy

Yes there is a 'B'. If your VIN says 'H' then that's what the title should say. Get it fixed.

The fender tags were different between 68 and 69 so your answer is yes and no (well, no for 68, yes for 69). The VIN you listed is for a 68 so, no, the VIN isn't on the fender tag. The body stampings will match the fender tag though.

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 05, 2010, 02:06:48 PM
Quote from: PatrickPeeters on November 05, 2010, 01:41:46 PM
good question i want to hear this answer. what if a car is wrecked at some time and a junk yard fender is used and they retained the fender tag from the new fender since the 70's and 80's really didnt care about what was right. :shruggy:
The "fender tag" is attached to the inner fender (which is part of the unibody) - not the outer (bolt-on) fender. More often they are removed at a body shop and lost.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

What he said.  The VIN riveted to the dash (or door jamb for 67 and older) with the unique rivets is the one the DMV wants to see the title match up to, not the one screwed to the fender.  The fender tag provided information FOR THE PEOPLE BUILDING THE CAR ON THE LINE, and like broadcast sheets, never intended for documention, identification or verification.  That is why I harp about the STAMPINGS on the body being a necessary part of an all numbers matching car.  Because they supposedly were a permanent form of identification for the car.  The reason a fender tag and broadcast sheet are such a big deal are precisely because they were so easily removed or altered that now 40 years out, it's a great thing if they are still there and coincidentally help to further prove the pedigree of the car.

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: Ghoste on November 05, 2010, 06:34:08 PM
Patrick is your car a 68 or 69?

The one with the is wrong B is a 1968 383 hp 4brl
Fendertag seem correct colours and options.
but no way of telling they belong together.
On my 69 you see same numbers as on the vintag.

PatrickPeeters

I do need it fixed, after restoration the car wil be inspected and there will be issued a new title in my home country.
Hoping they also know that there weren't xp29b vins
Then i think it will be no problem

Saw the Anwser on 68 69 difference when I already replied
Typing and reading on my cellphone is hard and did misread the last posts