News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Risk of Studs Spinning in Axle

Started by ktneifert09, November 05, 2010, 01:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktneifert09

I pulled the rear axles and discovered the left one looks like it has been replaced.  Doesn't appear to be exactly the same - there's no slot for the retaining washer like on the other side.  Probably off another model or year.  There was a stud missing so I went down and had a tire guy put one in.  I thought he'd press it in but of course he beat it in with a sledge instead.  Don't know if that's bad or good or neutral.  Got home, put on the tire (old piece of junk tire and rim that I'm just using temporarily).  Needed to take it off and one of the studs (don't think it was the replaced one) spun instead of the nut coming off.  Cut the rim around the bolt to get it off and will cut off the bolt to get the brake housing off so I can replace yet another stud.  So I'm thinking about what I'll do if this happens when I put my $1000 rims and tires on and I'm starting to get nervous.  Was thinking that maybe I should put a small weld bead on each stud to tie it to the axle permanently because the only other option I know is replace the axle to be 100% sure.  Then I start thinking about how well balanced it needs to be?  So long story, short point - anybody got any other thoughts about what to do here?
Thanks for any help!
Plans are useless; planning is indispensible.
Especially with an old car!

HPP

You can do that or b)get studs with a larger knurled shank. c)drill out and use screw in studs. d)replace the axles. e)weld a bead around the stud holes, redrill, and reset studs.

PatrickPeeters

Can you make a pic?
Replaced my studs, look at other thread.....
I forced them 1 with an open lug nut....
Is your stud loose in the axle or what?
If he did beat in the stud, did he do some damage?
Patrick  :punkrocka: