News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much was car, how much was engine?

Started by Ghoste, November 02, 2010, 06:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

At the height of the aerowar in NASCAR, how much edge was the car and how much do you think went to engine?

daytonalo

After all I read I believe Aero was only a factor on super speedway not on short tracks . That said it was 95 % Hemi engine and 5 % Aero . But they sure were bad looking!!

Ghoste

What do you think the breakdown was with the Ford?

daytonalo

I really don't have a clue , sorry but my short bus is here to pick me up !!! :icon_smile_big:

elacruze

Quote from: daytonalo on November 02, 2010, 07:12:03 AM
After all I read I believe Aero was only a factor on super speedway not on short tracks . That said it was 95 % Hemi engine and 5 % Aero . But they sure were bad looking!!

Didn't somebody win a race once in an Aerocar with 426 Wedge?
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

tan top

Quote from: elacruze on November 02, 2010, 07:41:17 AM

not that i'm aware of !! the only one i can think of like that was when they run a 305 ci  small block  (lunch box motor ) in the 22 daytona , led for a few laps but was involved in a mid race wreck :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

If the wing cars had any kind of an advantage, it was probably in handling over a long run.   Even on a flat mile track like Milwaukee, the wing worked.   

The Fords had a very capable engine in the Boss Nine, at least the equal of the Hemi.    The Spoiler II in particular was very slippery.    But I do think in some extreme situations, the wing uprights could be a difference maker.     

learical1

I remember reading somewhere that it takes 'X' more horsepower to go 1 MPH faster at 190 MPH,  but by dropping the coefficient of drag by 'Y' would give you the same bump in speed.  Ford had the money for a new engine and some sheet metal changes.  Ma Mopar didn't have the same kind of budget.  Sheet metal was cheaper and faster than a new engine, and that's why you have Daytonas and SuperBirds. 
Bruce

Aero426

No, the 426 wedge was dug up from the dead during 1971.  It had a larger restrictor plate opening than the Hemi.  Ford teams did the same thing bringing back the older 427 Tunnelport.   

Ghoste

I should have phrased the question better, sorry guys.  What I was actually wondering was the general opinion of car versus engine compared between the two main players?  That is, do you Ford wins were more about engine or car and then ditto for the Chrysler teams.

RTDaddy

Quote from: Aero426 on November 02, 2010, 03:28:37 PM

No, the 426 wedge was dug up from the dead during 1971.  It had a larger restrictor plate opening than the Hemi.  Ford teams did the same thing bringing back the older 427 Tunnelport.   

Correctomundo, Chrysler brought out the 426 wedge at Daytona for the July race, and went 1-2-3-4 with Isaac-Petty-Baker-Hamilton.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Aero426

The intangible is the driver and their will to win on a given day.   Once the wing cars had their tire problems sorted out, the Ford and Chrysler cars were fairly equal against each other.   A few years ago, I asked Donnie Allison if he ever felt he was at a disadvantage in a Talladega against winged cars.  He laughed at that notion.  

Ghoste

I agree with you but I would also expect any champion level driver to answer that question the same way.  Most of them would claim they could outrun their opponents no matter what cars were involved.

Brock Samson

I think he's refering to the Brooks # 22... SB I don't know of any DAYTONA that ran the much earlier Wedge 426...

Aero426

To put it this way, I feel you could swap the Ford and Chrysler drivers into each others cars, and get inconclusive finishing results.  All the factory funded guys were capable of winning.  All the factory cars were capable of winning regardless of the brand.    

At the end, the Fords probably had a little more horsepower and the if the wing cars had any advantage, it was in ability to tune the car for handling.    A great example is Pearson trying to catch Hamilton on the last turn of the last lap at Daytona.  Pearson's car got real loose, where Pete's car stuck and went on to win.   Assuming tires being equal, the wing made the difference in that one race. 

Ghoste

That gets more to the opinion I was looking for.

learical1

The Spoiler II was probably the fastest of the aero cars in a straight line. The Daytona and Talladega were about even, then the SuperBird and finally the 500.  The Spoiler II was more aerodynamic than the Talladega because of the slight slope to the hood of a regular Cyclone compared to a Torino.  Remember the 1969 Daytona 500?  LeeRoy and Charlie were about evenly matched, but the 'dega only had a 427 Tunnel Port.  Charlie, in his 500, had a Hemi.  Once the Fords and Mercurys got the Boss 429, the 500 couldn't cut it on the big ovals.  The nosecone on the Daytonas and 'Birds got their speed up, but it was the upright stabilizers of the wings that allowed the Mopar boys to out-handle the Blue Oval gang and win.  The extra side area of the 'Bird made up for the inferiority of the nose and back window compared to the Daytona.  (slower down the straights, faster in the corners.) The King Cobra would have needed a wing, or a 5" tall rear spoiler, to  be competitive.  This is all speculation on my part.  Believe what you will.
Bruce

Ghoste

Interesting how small a hole the Fords were really punching through the air.  When you look at that pointed nose on the Charger you just naturally think that nothing would slice the air cleaner.