News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can I remove lower ball joints if no motor in car?

Started by sixpack_sid, November 22, 2010, 10:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I am restoring a 68 Charger. The motor is out, it is basically a shell. I want to swap out the front drum brakes to disc brakes. I bought the kit and the kit says when you remove the upper and lower ball joints, you need to put the weight of the car on the lower control arm so the weight of the vehicle takes the pressure off the lower A arm so you can take out the ball joints. My question is, since there's no weight in the car-no motor no bumper no front grill, is there enough weight to take the pressure off? When I drive that ball joint fork into the ball joint to separate it, will I be in for a big surprise?
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

The70RT

Quote from: sixpack_sid on November 22, 2010, 10:44:30 PM
I am restoring a 68 Charger. The motor is out, it is basically a shell. I want to swap out the front drum brakes to disc brakes. I bought the kit and the kit says when you remove the upper and lower ball joints, you need to put the weight of the car on the lower control arm so the weight of the vehicle takes the pressure off the lower A arm so you can take out the ball joints. My question is, since there's no weight in the car-no motor no bumper no front grill, is there enough weight to take the pressure off? When I drive that ball joint fork into the ball joint to separate it, will I be in for a big surprise?

You will be ok, put the car on jack stands then put a floor jack under and barely touching the LCA.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

HOTROD

Just take all the tension off the Torsion bars is all you need to do  !! :2thumbs:
pop the ball joints put the new spindle on bottom first then jack it up and put the top one on .
What the Hell-Dumass !