News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How important is #s matching to you? And, what is YOUR definition of #s matching

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, November 03, 2010, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

How important is #s matching to you? And, what is YOUR definition of #s matching  :popcrn:

Engine?
Transmission?

Other parts (part #s on intake, carb, etc.)

What makes a car #s matching to you? And does it really matter for your purchasing of a Charger?  :cheers:

Lennard

It does not matter to me, it drives the same... matching numbers or not. :Twocents:

nvrbdn

i dont care if its #'s matching, slant six stock stripped down, rt, or whatever.im for using the cars.but then im not a collector and i wont sell my cars either. they are for me to enjoy. :Twocents:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

adauto

I run into the VIN NAZI"S all summer long.  :fu:  Screw 'em!  My car my money my way!!!!  :2thumbs:
Never too many! 70 Chally R/T Convert-70 GTX-68-69-74 Charger-68 Dart GTS

http://a-dauto.com/  http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

xs29j8Bullitt

To me numbers matching is only about the VIN stampings on the engine, transmission, and various sheetmetal components.  Although I would like all my cars to be numbers matching, it would have little effect on a decision to buy or sell a hobby car.  None of my fully number matching cars make my "untouchable" three list, two of them have numbers matching engines, the other has a numbers matching transmission.

I will make an effort to track down an original engine or transmission, and try to get the engine assembly date in the correct range... but will only make a token effort to match up date codes for items like alternators.  I will go through a pile of rebuildable alternators to find the best match, but won't go on a long search for one that best matches.  It also matters which car that I am restoring, the "untouchable" three might get a bit more effort...  :Twocents:

As for other peoples cars, I will look at the VIN tag & fender tag... but nothing beyond that.  And, I do not feel compelled to tell them about anything I notice, unless they specifically ask me to.  So, does that make me a V/N?  :shruggy:

XS  :popcrn:
After 8 years of downsizing, whats left...
1968 Charger R/T, Automatic, 426 Hemi
1968 Polara 4Dr Sdn, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1968 Polara 4Dr HT, Automatic, 383
1969 Charger 500, 4 Speed, 440 Magnum
1969 Daytona, Automatic, 440 Magnum
1969 Road Runner, 4 Speed, 426 Hemi
1970 `Cuda, Automatic, 440-6BBL
1970 Challenger T/A, Automatic, 340 6 Pack
2004 Ram, Automatic, 5.7L Hemi
2009 Challenger SRT8, Automatic, 6.1L Hemi
<This Space Reserved for a 2016 Challenger SRT Hellcat, 8Sp Automatic,

tricky lugnuts

It's not important to me.

To me the phrase "matching numbers" means ALL original components, a "survivor" equipped exactly as it left the factory or with replacement NOS parts - sheet metal, driveline, wiper motors, everything, unless specified otherwise.

You can take the "matching numbers" concept as far as you want, down to part numbers for belts and hoses . . .

To me it is nothing more than a gauge of originality. Some people set the bar higher than others.

Some people like to play that game to an extreme level, i.e. the Vin Nazis, with their cars and with other peoples' cars, and date-coded hoses and clamps and spark plug wires, you name it.

I can't afford to do that and wouldn't really want to even if I could.

I dislike the people who feel inclined to point out (unsolicited) that this is not original or that is not original when looking at stranger's cars . . . I also dislike people who try to represent a car as original and "matching numbers" when it is not.

Patronus

"I dislike the people who feel inclined to point out (unsolicited) that this is not original or that is not original when looking at stranger's cars . . "
amen brother!!  :2thumbs:
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Belgium R/T -68

I especially hate comments from people that never owned a car like ours but read all books
available and then tells you your aircleaner isn't the original one. :brickwall:

Per
Charger -68 R/T 500 cui Stroker

Foreman72

I think its great when someone has a numbers matching car.  There is just something cool about having everything match just like it did when it came out of the factory.  It certainly (imo) increases the value of the car...

that being said...

on my own car...its not that big of a deal...in fact its not a deal at all since i plan to put all new mechanical stuff in it anyway... :yesnod:

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

1969chargerrtse

Back in the 80's when I was buying and selling rare Muscle cars it was important.  Then come around 2005 when we all had money and everyone was buying up any Muscle car around and clones and tribute cars were born it wasn't as important anymore. Just owning a Muscle car now a days is good enough. You have the extra loot for the number matching car?  Go for it. Mine is "date code correct " and that works for me. I'd take locating my fender tag over finding the original block.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Good points from all, so far!

Fender Tag matching the core support and trunk lip to the VIN # on the dash are all important. So is having the Broadcast Sheet, IMO.

Numbers on the Engine and Trans, are icing on the cake!

I have seen so many cars claimed to be "original" which were not. The term, "Warranty Block" is so overused, it is ridiculous! If one does not have paperwork to match that claim, I am of the opinion, all someone did was wipe a #s pad clean  :popcrn:

John_Kunkel

To me, matching numbers are only an issue at sale time; matching numbers will always fetch more money from the wise buyer who looks forward to the time in the future when he will be selling.

By the same token non-matching numbers mean a lower price for those who don't care.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

PatrickPeeters

I've got the matching number engine when I bough the car, It was hot tanked and laying around for a long time, so would be a tough fix.

You must wonder why  that almost every Charger that was daily driven hasn't got the original engine in it or at least with it?  :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
where did the engines all go? (engine heaven or so)

Patrick  :punkrocka:

Back N Black

Nope, not worried about matching numbers. The only numbers I'm concerned with are Torque and horsepower.  :2thumbs:

tan top

back when i bought mine  22  years ago  , !! i was just excited & pleased that i could buy a charger with  the options i wanted , in a price range i could afford !! ( this was before the internet though)  , knowing  not matching motor  , but did not care !! then after a few years , started to wonder , if only i could find my MIA #s motor   :'( !! as it become more publicised about matching motors & numbers !!
 given a choice  two chargers , same options  side by side one matching &  one not , same price range  , !!  would go for the matching #s car !!  , but if on the other hand , the non matching car was Y2  :D ;) ;D
 but all this original motor or not , will never be selling !!   :shruggy: :popcrn: so not really important to me , value wise , just nice to have the original motor in the car  :shruggy:
not sure where i'm going with this post , but though i would give my view :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

vancamp

mine has the numbers motor and i actually thought about trading it for a car that wasnt or taking the numbers driveline out and putting it up so i am not worried about windowing the original. actually if someone wanted a numbers car except for the color i would probaly trade for a non numbers in a more desirable color or options to myself than my current car/

Darkman

Mine is only a plane 383 with air con nothing rare or special so numbers mean nothing to me
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

ChargerSG

I think its great when they are matching only 2 of my 5 is, its most value ones my RT/SE´s whos not. Those i really want matching but i dont lay wake at nights thinking of it i can still enjoy my 383 RT/SE with a monster 440 magnum in it :drive:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

flyinlow

My Charger and I are letters matching....both made in the USA a long time ago!

73 SE ,originally a 318. Now' 71 RR axle, '94 Ram A518, '77 Town&country 440 block, Eddy heads, Caddy rear disks, and Lexus seats. Not stock, not numbers matching and not a sissy California car.....but I have fun with it.

Brass

I appreciate the rarity of a numbers matching car, and can understand the joys/satisfaction of seeking one out and returning it to original.  Good for those who do.  Yet when I was looking for a Charger, I specifically wanted a non-numbers matching, non-RT car.  I wanted to be able to make future modifications without much guilt.  The only interesting option on my car is the paint code.  (My initial plan was to disregard that too and paint it black.  But the way the bronze looks in person has really grown on me.)

RallyeMike

I appreciate numbers matching original cars, but I like mine non-numbers so I can have fun with them. Museum pieces are for the curator-types, not me.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

miller

I hate when people point out my front fenders are not numbers matching. :rofl:

2005 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom - Maggie
2012 370Z NISMO - Courtney
1979 Corvette L-82 - Lilly
1969 Dodge Charger R/T Clone - Vanessa

HANDM

I have the matching engine and tranny for the Charger as well as the body #'s, havent checked the rear yet however.

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on November 03, 2010, 04:51:33 PM
I'd take locating my fender tag over finding the original block.

I am with ya there :2thumbs:

mleist89

1941 Ford Coupe Deluxe
1973 Dodge Charger
1975 Dodge Coronet
2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Ghoste

Complete numbers matching means the stamping on the rad care support and trunk rail match the fender tag which matches the vin. (on cars that have those stampings obviously and without that part, it's just a rebody).  If it's a proper year to have the vin full or partial on engine or trans then they must also match.  If they are too old for that then they should at least date code to the car but you can't really call that numbers matching.
As for it's importance, it depends on the car.  If I am buying a Hemi Charger 500 it better have everything in place.  If I am buying a 318 car to build a DMCL clone, who cares.