News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How important is #s matching to you? And, what is YOUR definition of #s matching

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, November 03, 2010, 01:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

The70RT

Quote from: flyinlow on November 09, 2010, 10:12:07 AM
Are the VIN numbers stamped on the Chargers unibody?  Where?

Radiator support & left trunk lip under seal
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bakerhillpins

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on November 07, 2010, 10:31:00 AM
Ads like this make me chuckle...  :slap:

Really???  :popcrn: Does it even matter the core support, fender tag, VIN #, and title match when the original engine is gone? Why bother mentioning  :shruggy:

As someone currently in the market for a Charger I can say yes, partial information matters. Why? It provides me with some information about the car's history, it makes the car unique, and it's reasonably important to me since I would like to have a charger that is equipped as it left the factory which is where a Broadcast sheet helps. Does it mean something with regard to value, yes, to me it does. Its all relative. Sometimes I wish I could get over it. Honestly I do, but I have a problem and I have just learned to accept that. ;D

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

rooks

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on November 07, 2010, 10:31:00 AM
Ads like this make me chuckle...  :slap:

Really???  :popcrn: Does it even matter the core support, fender tag, VIN #, and title match when the original engine is gone? Why bother mentioning  :shruggy:

I absolutely agree on this one - without the original engine, #'s matching doesn't mean a thing. Unfortunately, sellers don't seem to think so - and overprice their vehicles.

General_01

Quote from: The70RT on November 09, 2010, 10:24:31 AM
Quote from: flyinlow on November 09, 2010, 10:12:07 AM
Are the VIN numbers stamped on the Chargers unibody?  Where?

Radiator support & left trunk lip under seal

As well as the cowl on the drivers side.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Wicked72

To me if its rare or if its worth it then keep it #s. But like in my case 72 SE nothing special and gross so I call it a blank canvas and I dont feel like I should bother with #s so I am going to build a resto mod and make it the way I want. :Twocents:  :2thumbs:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Cooter

Personally, I have a 1970 Charger SE, 383 Auto on the column car that now has an orange paint job, with an "01" on both doors and R/T Emblems on the quarters.

There's a guy here that will run the numbers on every single Mopar at the local shows to see if it's "Real" or not, then proclaim to everybody that doesn't shove a fist in his mouth, how he can't believe someone did that to such a "rare" car....

My '70 Charger now wears a 1969 Title that states Dodge, 2dr ,Hatchback..Complete with '69 VIN number and all..Does the "numbers' on the rear and rad. support match? Nope...Does it make everybody that sees it think any less of it? Sure it does when I tell them after they've offered me stupid money for what they call their "Dream car", that the "numbers" don't exactly match...Am I less of a person because I have a cobbled up 1968-1969-1970 Charger? Nope, but As a Fellow "Hot Rodder", I could care less if it has all the "numbers" as long as I can title it in MY name...IMO, there's only one reason someone is obsessed with "Correctness" and that's Resale value...I'm in it for the cars no matter how I had to bring that thing back from the dead...An R/T Car that unfortunately is like the one poor Tony bought from HLPAG, may be a "real" R/T but without all the "Correctness", it isn't worth nothing to the "Correctness" croud...It's still a 1969 R/T Charger, but why is it worth less? Because that is where the bar has been set for the "Investment" types....It all comes down to if your in it for the cars, or for the money...I just happen to be in it for the cars....

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

hemigeno

Quote from: General_01 on November 09, 2010, 05:01:21 PM

That depends on the year... not the case with I & IIGen (66-70) Chargers

PatrickPeeters

Quote from: Cooter on November 10, 2010, 10:15:28 PM
Personally, I have a 1970 Charger SE, 383 Auto on the column car that now has an orange paint job, with an "01" on both doors and R/T Emblems on the quarters.

There's a guy here that will run the numbers on every single Mopar at the local shows to see if it's "Real" or not, then proclaim to everybody that doesn't shove a fist in his mouth, how he can't believe someone did that to such a "rare" car....

My '70 Charger now wears a 1969 Title that states Dodge, 2dr ,Hatchback..Complete with '69 VIN number and all..Does the "numbers' on the rear and rad. support match? Nope...Does it make everybody that sees it think any less of it? Sure it does when I tell them after they've offered me stupid money for what they call their "Dream car", that the "numbers" don't exactly match...Am I less of a person because I have a cobbled up 1968-1969-1970 Charger? Nope, but As a Fellow "Hot Rodder", I could care less if it has all the "numbers" as long as I can title it in MY name...IMO, there's only one reason someone is obsessed with "Correctness" and that's Resale value...I'm in it for the cars no matter how I had to bring that thing back from the dead...An R/T Car that unfortunately is like the one poor Tony bought from HLPAG, may be a "real" R/T but without all the "Correctness", it isn't worth nothing to the "Correctness" croud...It's still a 1969 R/T Charger, but why is it worth less? Because that is where the bar has been set for the "Investment" types....It all comes down to if your in it for the cars, or for the money...I just happen to be in it for the cars....

Right on....It's your ride..........have fun

Patrick  :punkrocka:

Back N Black

Quote from: Cooter on November 10, 2010, 10:15:28 PM

You switched the VIN on your 70 to a 69 VIN?

The70RT

Quote from: hemigeno on November 11, 2010, 12:26:39 PM

I was wondering because I never seen it. My fenders are on now so I couldn't check....thanks for the info Geno  :2thumbs:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

General_01

Quote from: The70RT on November 11, 2010, 07:19:32 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on November 11, 2010, 12:26:39 PM

I was wondering because I never seen it. My fenders are on now so I couldn't check....thanks for the info Geno  :2thumbs:

Wonder why they started it on 3rd gens? :scratchchin:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

Ghoste

Federal legislation changing and companies discovering it was helpful to track warranty claims.  If you look around todays cars you will find the vin all over the place either stamped or printed outright and through a barcode.  There was virtually none of that required by law until 1968 and then it just kind of kept ramping up.

elacruze

If the VIN and body stamps don't match on a '69 or later model, I'd wonder if the body was stolen and re-VINed.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

charge69

It would make me a little more cautious if the body numbers did not match up and ask a lot more questions.  May not make me run from the sale but ...... things wold be different. I know, from personal experience, that numbers-matching is gettting harder to find and sometimes Mother MOPAR did not make it any easier.  My car is a numbers-matching car but the tranny cannot be proven , even if all appears right  with it.  A Friday car with the VIN portion of the tranny rail UNMACHINED and no numbers there. WTF !  All else is right including the tranny number and build date point to it being original (12/68 with 1969-only part number) but .... no numbers whatsoever where the VIN would go. I guess the assembly line was not the place to machine the rail.

ALL other numbers match the title and VIN.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on November 03, 2010, 01:34:34 PM
How important is #s matching to you? And, what is YOUR definition of #s matching  :popcrn:

Engine?
Transmission?

Other parts (part #s on intake, carb, etc.)

What makes a car #s matching to you? And does it really matter for your purchasing of a Charger?  :cheers:

Numbers matching to me, is all major body/chassis/engine numbers match, period.

I have seen so few Chargers which match this criteria.  :scratchchin:

Cooter

Hell, Bout the Only time I "Run" from a sale is when the "numbers" on the Car don't match the "numbers" on the Title...Other than that, I could care less, as the DMV don't care as long as those "Numbers" match...Dude can ask As much as he wants for a "numbers matching" car or a NON matching car, it's all in the eye of the buyer as to what he/she deems buyable...

a Numbers matching 440 R/T charger for sale for $25K and it's all stock....

A NON Numbers Matching Charger R/T Clone/Tribute For sale For $13K with a 500 Cu. In. and a 5-speed? Yeah, i think you know which one the "real" car guy will purchase... The "Flipper" on the other hand might go for the afore mentioned...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HeavyFuel

Seems to be a pattern.....those that have numbers matching cars are happy about it, and the guys that don't....are also happy about it.  And that's a good thing; it's healthy to want what you've got.   

Ghoste

BSB67

My two car are both numbers matching fairly low production number cars.  It's kinda cool, but that is not the reason I bought them, they just came that way.  I've taken the original block out of the 67 because I started getting nervous about putting a rod through it, as I thrash it pretty hard.  When I get back to my other car, I'll probably do the same - I've been pretty lucky with that one.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: BSB67 on November 14, 2010, 12:24:24 PM
My two car are both numbers matching fairly low production number cars.  It's kinda cool, but that is not the reason I bought them, they just came that way.  I've taken the original block out of the 67 because I started getting nervous about putting a rod through it, as I thrash it pretty hard.  When I get back to my other car, I'll probably do the same - I've been pretty lucky with that one.

Sounds like a good idea - maybe take the original engine, clean it up a bit, and use it for a coffee table (with glass over it)  :cheers:

SBBob

MATCHING NUMBERS?  Isn't that a GM thing.  The VIN in our cars says it all.  Enjoy what you have and drive the heck out of it as that is what they were meant for.  My car lost it's original motor way before I got it, but I have driven it across the country and have had more FUN than just about anyone in the hobby!
Superbird Bob - 426 Hemi, 4 Speed, 3.54 Track Pack

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: SBBob on November 14, 2010, 10:24:03 PM
MATCHING NUMBERS?  Isn't that a GM thing.  The VIN in our cars says it all.  Enjoy what you have and drive the heck out of it as that is what they were meant for.  My car lost it's original motor way before I got it, but I have driven it across the country and have had more FUN than just about anyone in the hobby!

Sounds like you are enjoying your car however, I am not sure numbers matching has much to do with that.  :shruggy:

Just a GM thing? I don't think so  :popcrn:

Ghoste

SRT-68

I love a numbers matching car at a car show because as others have said "it's as it was from the factory". But for somebody like me that takes a sawzall to a perfectly good mopar, numbers matching means trapped with old technology. That is why I love "tribute" or clone cars and primer drivers.

I have also watched the "vin reader" people beat up on a beautiful car for not being numbers marching then get in a volvo and drive off.

"Warranty block" means walk away. No numbers on the core support or trunk lip means rebody or heavy crash damage.