News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

few pics from Level Cross - Petty Garage

Started by BPTRacing, November 03, 2010, 12:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BPTRacing

road trip - Illinois to Level Cross, NC!

I went to the Petty Garage on Friday (29th) checking on the progress on my buddies 64 Petty tribute car (using an original Petty Hemi motor), and found a few wing cars in the shop. The orange Daytona is being restored/reassembled. Of course the 40 resto Petty car was in the showroom. I even got to hear it run - nice rumble from the hemi!  Along side that, was another white bird. In the corner was a roof template that was reported to be for the Nascar superbird.
Selling all my current toys to build a Twin Turbo Superbird clone "street" car.

BPTRacing

Even got to see the engine room and dyno, where the Hemi was being assembled for the 64 project.

BPTRacing

After "Level Cross", we too a side trip to visit with Cotton Owen. No wing cars to take pics of but lots of history to be learned from a few hours with him and has wife Dot.

Still a lot of Hemi parts around!

tan top

:o  awesome day by the looks of it !!! would love go these places !  :yesnod: 
thats great able to chat Cotton owens also ,  good pictures !! thansk for sharing  :cheers: :cheers: :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

jonw29

Looks like a great trip.I am ashamed.I live 45 min from Cotton's and have never been there.

Ghoste

You should be ashamed and youshould rectify that ASAP.  :nono:

jonw29

hemi68charger

Those are some very cool pictures..... Thanks for sharing............ Looks like Mr. Petty has some very close ties with his past...  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

41husk

I wish I had stopped at Cotton Owens and had him sign the dash of his hauler.  I picked it up at Niel Castles, who said we were only about an hour from Cotton's Garage :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Mopar John

Scott,
In your second batch of pictures, the top picture has a black 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix AERO coupe on the right. It is my understanding this is the only one that wasn't painted silver from the factory with a gray interior! This one is black on the outside and has a brown interior. It was in the Talladega musuem for years and was missing during our 2009 visit! I didn't know it had a Petty connection? I know Petty wanted Pontiac to build this car so he could race with the Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS AERO coupes! GREAT PICTURES!
John

BPTRacing

Quote from: Mopar John on November 03, 2010, 02:52:47 PM
Scott,
In your second batch of pictures, the top picture has a black 1986 Pontiac Grand Prix AERO coupe on the right. It is my understanding this is the only one that wasn't painted silver from the factory with a gray interior! This one is black on the outside and has a brown interior. It was in the Talladega musuem for years and was missing during our 2009 visit! I didn't know it had a Petty connection? I know Petty wanted Pontiac to build this car so he could race with the Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS AERO coupes! GREAT PICTURES!
John

John - to be honest, I was not at all interested in the "non-wing" cars in the shop, so I paid little attention. I do seem to recall thinking as I took the picture, the Pontiac looked to have a NC State issued "Petty" license plate. Again - not positive on that. I will double check the hi-res original pics to see if I can zoom in for a clearer look.

We also trekked back home on the two lane roads and found an old dragstrip in XX (state removed as I may be working a deal on a few of the cars) which had 50-60 cars "up-in-the-woods". These cars were were nearly impossible to access, and while found a 69 RR with the top crushed, I was later told by the owners son, I missed a GTX that was supposed to be "right next to the dart".  I did find the 72 dart, but never saw a GTX.

Since there were no Aero cars, and I don't generally read or post in the general section of this forum, I have not posted pics from the "hill".

Scott

redrider

correct me if i am wrong but isnt that white superbird pettys

WB General Lee

That is very cool. I was at Pettys in the 80's with the Superbird club and it was awesome. Was that Daytona a customer car? That Pete Hamilton car is very historic what a sight for sore eyes. There is a story behind that white Superbird as I remember. I think Richard traded some farm equipment for that or something back in the day.

Brock Samson

WoW! Thanks for posting those Pics. up.. that G-body Areo Grand Prix story sounds like a repeat of the Super Bird circumstances,.. kinda'

FJ5WING

I dont think 'ol Richard has any ties to anything that dosent have Uncle Benjamins picture attached. Ive have been to his shop a few times and was unimpressed everytime. He was the first to charge an entrance fee to the shop tour and I lost a lot of admiration for him since.

I appreciate all the stuff happening there now but I seriously doubt Richard is the drive behind it.
wingless now, but still around.