News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My first car... err truck!

Started by BIRD67, November 01, 2010, 09:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BIRD67

I've often said I wanted a '69 dart that was for sale locally, until I started to go booning with my friends in their trucks. I scoured craigslist every day looking for something that I would eventually drive..  I finally found it and on 10/31/10 I became the proud owner of a 1993 Dodge Ramcharger for $360.. it is a 318 automatic 4x4 and it has no reverse, thats the bad part.. It has 122xxx miles on it.. I went and paid for it yesterday and was going to drive it back, but I could not because the rear tires were rubbing on the fenders, the tires are M/T 39x12.5s and the fronts are BFG 33x12.5s.... I will get pictures up when I can, but this is gonna be one fun project!
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

R.I.P. Matthew Fraser 4/30/10

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

captnsim

Sounds like a great score...Make sure you put matching size tires on all 4 corners before testing the 4 wheel drive, as the different size tires will change the gear ratios, and cause all kinds of unpleasant things to happen...   

BIRD67

Quote from: captnsim on November 01, 2010, 07:17:17 PM
Sounds like a great score...Make sure you put matching size tires on all 4 corners before testing the 4 wheel drive, as the different size tires will change the gear ratios, and cause all kinds of unpleasant things to happen...   

Yeah thats what I was planning on doing, the 39's rub but I figure I have 3 (one spare) so I might as well radius the wheel wells to make 'em fit.. anything to look out for on these trucks? and would 3/4 ton running gear be a direct fit?
I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own. I resign. -Number 6, The Prisoner

Todd Wilson

I got a rear hatch door for it if you need one!

Todd

BIRD67

I'll check and see what she'll needs.. I know I'll need a grille, fender emblems, hood emblem (the ram mounting bracket, I have the ornament itself) and possibly a driver side fender, mine has some pretty good dents in it.. and a transmission, are they difficult to rebuild or is it something I could tackle at home? Also, will 72-78 grilles, hoods and front fenders interchange or will I need to heavily modify stuff in order for it to fit?

70redbee

:popcrn:Without pics...it didn't happen

Todd Wilson

I know I got a fender for it too and a door.  If you are close to Kansas   I'll make you a very good deal!

Todd

BIRD67

I cannot post pictures, I am on the school computer right now and mine crapped the bed. but I can tell you the vin is 3B4GM07Y3EMxxxxxx for those who are saavy with their decoder ring.  :icon_smile_wink:

Close to Kansas? hahaha I'm in New Hampshire, but thanks for the offer :2thumbs:

BIRD67

No pictures yet, I picked her up friday night.. she sits 7 ft high from the top of the hatch to the ground.. running 3 inch lift blocks on the rear springs... I believe it has an '84 Ramcharger front clip and the pass. side fender is not completely bolted on, anybody have bolt diagrams? There is some rot on the passenger side floor, looks like somebody did a decent patchjob and then threw on some diamond plate on top of the patches, but overall the frame and body are solid.

mauve66

Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

dkn1997

Quote from: mauve66 on November 08, 2010, 10:18:19 AM
whats BOONING???

It's what you do when you find yourself in between relationships.  Just take what you'd normally be doing and add an "O"
RECHRGED

greenpigs

39 inch tires...what gear is it running? Thats some decent sized tires and if you don't have some bigger gears it will be a dog. I bet you know this but have you checked yet? :Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

BIRD67

Booning is going mudding usually at night with as many people as you can fit in a vehicle.. basically it is going mudding, but with more than just mud..

mauve66

whatever happened to "4 wheelin"??? dang kids now-a-days always have to come up with a new fangled name for the same basic stuff................ :popcrn:
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

BIRD67

4 wheelin is still around, but sometimes we have 2wd trucks in the mix, so Booning is just the term used these days by kids like me.. as for pictures...

BIRD67

I'm not sure what my gear ratio is.. it would be either 3.54 or 3.90.. the hood label won't tell me because the hood is off of a different truck... here are some more pictures, I'm prepping her for some bodywork.

BIRD67

BIRD67

BIRD67

interior.. the floors had been patched before, but it wasn't the greatest job so I just rivited some diamond plate on them for now.. function over form..

BIRD67

this thing stands almost 7 feet from ground to roof  :icon_smile_big:

BIRD67

and here is the front.. no grille, that's something I still need to come up with.. and I need to rebolt the front bumper, she's as loose as a goose!

moparsons

I say you did pretty good for the price man!!!   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

BIRD67

Thanks! It has brought me alot of fun so far!

BIRD67

I got the majority of the truck stripped of paint, then my friend came over and we spraybombed it.. pics tomorrow!

BIRD67

BIRD67

not too good, not too bad, it's 8 dollars worth of spraypaint from walmart.. I still have to do the roof and finish the hood..

nvrbdn

you can make a great grill out of alluminum strips, or some mesh to protect that radiator. a low flyin bird will do that in quick. looks like a nice muddin truck.  cool :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

BIRD67

thanks! as for a grille, I found one for $30, just gotta get the money lol it sucks not having a job!

greenpigs

You could do a little dance and post it....might get some paypal donations. ;D
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

chargergirl

Just tell them you'll explain booning...or boon dock playing basically. GREAT Find. Looks great! Like the paint job!
Trust your Woobie!

earthquake68

When you want to get serious about wheelin', you need a way to test the four wheel drive to make sure it's working properly.  :D :icon_smile_big:

This is Earthquake I, 10" of lift and 40" Swampers. Earthquake II had 17" of lift with 44's. (now you know where my screen name came from)
Speed\'s expensive, how fast do you want to go?

BIRD67

Haha that's awesome , earthquake! I think I wanna put some real lift in it, I have 3 inch blocks in the back.. I want to do a 3/4 ton axle swap.. some nice springs and probably 6 inches of lift.. and I'm gonna stick with the 39s I got, they work great despite being as old as me lol

BIRD67

I know the 4WD works.. I broke the bolts that hold the u-joint on the yoke so I had to drive it home with the front driveshaft in on 4 High..

BIRD67

I forgot I ever posted this thread.. Not much was happening with my truck up until a few months ago whn i got it in the school's auto program. Now I have new floors, I am getting new blocks in the rear, got a new pinion yoke and solved a myraid of wiring puzzles. I am also taking my first stab at bodywork.. I haven't gotten a transmission yet, but I am workign on gettine one at the moment..

BIRD67

pics

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BIRD67

so my floors are finally welded in. I got my new suspension blocks for the rear and got those installed.. Now I am goign to fix the e-brake.. I traded my 33s for a set of 35s. SHe's getting there, and the best part is I have less than $500 invested inn the truck, thats including the purchase of the truck! :2thumbs:

Finn

Put some barbed wire across the grill, that's the epitome of class right there.  :D

Nice rig man! I miss having an off road truck..
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

BIRD67

haha I did have screen door material on the grille opening for a while.. yeah 4wd is fun, especially when it works... here are soem pics, I'm trying to patch up the body.. may not be the right way, but its better than fiberglass and bondo. I got my blocks in, its soo nice not having axlewrap!

Finn

Planning on putting a winch on it?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

BIRD67

Winches are for people who plan on getting stuck  :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

Quote from: BIRD67 on October 16, 2011, 08:46:52 PM
Winches are for people who plan on getting stuck  :icon_smile_big:
i prefer busty wenches my self 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE