News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FOUND Bullit Charger

Started by 65post, October 31, 2010, 04:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

65post

Have not been on here for quite a while and was wondering what ever become of the ( Bullit car ) that was in MCG a while back.Was it REAL or...
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 65post on October 31, 2010, 04:18:45 PM
Have not been on here for quite a while and was wondering what ever become of the ( Bullit car ) that was in MCG a while back.Was it REAL or...
Only article I remember is the camera car?  The real one is probably all smashed up and gone.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Black Charger

Back when I owned a 2001 Bullitt Mustang and was into researching the movie, I found that no Chargers and only one of the Mustangs survived the film. The Mustang was sold to a crew member shortly after filming ended.  It was then sold to a private individual on the East Coast (sometime in the early 1970s) who still owns it. Scores of people, including Steve McQueen himself back in the mid-1970s, have tried to buy the only remaining Bullitt Mustang but the owner absolutely refuses to part with it.

Ghoste

It came to light more recently though that one of the Chargers may have survived.  As to what further happened to the car in the MCG article, I don't know.

Black Charger

Quote from: Ghoste on October 31, 2010, 05:40:22 PM
It came to light more recently though that one of the Chargers may have survived.  As to what further happened to the car in the MCG article, I don't know.

If one of the Bullitt Chargers actually survived, that may just be the holy grail of Charger movie cars right there. That car would be worth big bucks for sure.

Ghoste

There is a thread about it on here someplace.

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Black Charger

Even though it appears to be circumstantial evidence, I hope that the owner can find some concrete proof that his car is indeed a genuine Bullitt Charger. As I said before, if the owner can find the proof, he will have stumbled onto the holy grail of all movie Chargers.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Black Charger on November 01, 2010, 04:46:36 AM
Even though it appears to be circumstantial evidence, I hope that the owner can find some concrete proof that his car is indeed a genuine Bullitt Charger. As I said before, if the owner can find the proof, he will have stumbled onto the holy grail of all movie Chargers.
Paperwork or not, I ask. How can it not be the car?  With the holes, history  and paint under paint issues if it was mine I'd be claiming it was it.

doctor4766

Surely if the dealer the car was purchased from still exists there would be some paper trail to verify the authenticity of the car, since it was in their inventory not once, but twice!!
Yeah I know it's 42 years ago and all but surely the VIN could be traced back to prior owners... even through the licensing department perhaps......?
Gotta love a '69

Brock Lee

The holes all looked way to fresh to me. You would think there would be some oxidation over the years.

UFO

Looking at the pics on the pony page,take a close look at the pic with the guy in the trunk.
The pass side sail panel looks to be dented.
Should be some remnants of the damage/repair left behind.

The70RT

Quote from: UFO on November 01, 2010, 08:23:59 PM
Looking at the pics on the pony page,take a close look at the pic with the guy in the trunk.
The pass side sail panel looks to be dented.
Should be some remnants of the damage/repair left behind.

It looks like wrinkles in the vinyl to me. If so he could maybe see the wrinkle marks in the glue underneath or showed where it was glued down again.  :scratchchin:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Blakcharger440

It seems to me that there were just as many if not more things that point to it not being the Bullit car than things that would be "correct" and it being the one.

Brock Lee

The shot of the guy in the trunk. That would be the most detailed studio paint job I have ever seen. The trunk drains look factory black. There isn't a sliver of yellow to be found. Hero cars rarely get such attention to the small areas never seen.

Mike DC

QuoteThe shot of the guy in the trunk. That would be the most detailed studio paint job I have ever seen. The trunk drains look factory black. There isn't a sliver of yellow to be found. Hero cars rarely get such attention to the small areas never seen.

For a studio paintjob I would agree. 

But on the other hand the cars might have been painted black at the dealership, in which case the job might have been treated like a typical customer-requested repaint for a brand new car.  It does look like there are some areas of yellowing showing through on the trunk guttering/weatherstrip in that pic.  Nothing very clear but I think it's at least possible. 

The stunt Charger has me more perplexed.  There are reports of the stunt car being both a column-shifted and a console-shifted automatic.  And there are reports of it being a cloned R/T from a base model but also supposedly having a 440 motor under the hood.  The total comments about all the Chargers seem to add up to 3 different cars.  But the sources (and the movie footage) suggest that there we're only looking at two.   

Ghoste

I had always thought there were only two?  Then again, I have an old Motor Trend around here somewhere with a Steve McQueen interview where he claims one of the Chargers was a Hemi car and I believed that for a long time too so there you go.  (I haven't believed that Ford lover's claim for a long time though)