News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

73 ignition switch question

Started by dolphinron, November 15, 2010, 09:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dolphinron

My Charger didn't start the other day no clicking or sound.  Headlights stay bright when turning key though so my friend thought it might be starter but then he was able to start it by jumping over the starter relay.  So he said get a new relay.  I did and it still doesnt turn over at all.  Is this my ignition switch that is broke or does anyone have any other suggestions.  Thanks

RD

it could be a fusible link.  time to get a voltmeter and start testing leads.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

FLG

Could just be the neutral safety switch or maybe your just a hair out of park. Try starting it in neutral. Been a few times I was just a hair out of park and she didn't start.

dolphinron

I tried moving the auto shifter around and in neutral and such with no luck.  I thought that was it also.  I am barely a saturday mechanic so sorry dont laugh but dont know what fusible link means.  I can get a voltmeter from a friend and test "leads" but can you explain that also.  Thanks.  I'd take it to a mechanic but dont know any in my area(western burbs chicago)

RD

a fusible link is just what it is.  it is a piece of wire that links the power source to your ignition switch.. the key is that when it reaches a certain resistance level, instead of starting a fire, it will disintegrate like a fuse (i.e. burn up to remove any current from passing through any other wires).  If your fusible link is bad, no power would go to your ignition switch, but it would still go throughout your system (in some cases because some systems have more than one fusible link).

have you checked your fuse box for any bad fuses?  check your connection to your ignition switch (should be located by your column under the dash) to make sure the connection is not burnt.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander