News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Neutral saftey switch?

Started by kurgan383, October 29, 2010, 08:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurgan383

hey guys... My '68 charger only starts in neutral and i'm thinking it's the Neutral Safety Switch (prndl switch) Does anyone know where to get one and how hard it is to change?

Ghoste

Are you sure it's the switch and not the comb inside the trans?

kurgan383

no, I assumed it was the switch!  Is there an easy way to tell?

Nacho-RT74

try linkage adjustment first. very tipical on this case
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Manifold

I would lean towards linkage as well. If it were me, I'd disconnect the shifter linkage at the trans and hand shift the linkage. Use a continuity tester to see if the switch is working correctly when doing this - the switch is suppose to provide a ground to the circuit only in Park and Neutral. I use the ohms setting on a multi-tester: place one probe on the neutral safety switch (being a '68 you should have one threaded post vice the later three-pin switch) and the other probe on the frame (or other suitable chassis ground). If you can verify the ground in both park and neutral with the linkage disconnected, then it's a matter of adjusting the linkage. If you don't, then look to the comb inside the trans. Since the switch is a plunger, if you're getting ground in neutral, then the switch is working and not the problem.

John_Kunkel

If it will start in Neutral but not Park the switch isn't the problem.

Look for loose or missing plastic bushings in the shift linkage.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.