News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Did any see any General Lee car jumps lately?

Started by PatrickPeeters, October 29, 2010, 04:19:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickPeeters

Patrick  :punkrocka:

knitz01

First link is funny.... The second i think is from when they did the dukes movie

charger490

PatrickPeeters

Awesome.........guessing this wasn't yesterday, little while ago....
Patrick  :punkrocka:

Mike DC

The signed picture above was from a jump done in 2005. 

MTV paid to re-enact the GL's first jump for a half hour special because the Knoxville/Stifler/Simpson DOH movie was about to be released.

FastbackJon

At least dukes fans don't want to see superman fly. They would find some guy, dress him up in red and blue, then push him off of a building where he would fall to his death. They would think it was amusing.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

rooks

How about jumping in the General Lee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7EefnfSIYg/

Well, he did say "let's floor it" first! :)

Mike DC

QuoteAt least dukes fans don't want to see superman fly. They would find some guy, dress him up in red and blue, then push him off of a building where he would fall to his death. They would think it was amusing.

You don't have to read this thread. 

If you want one of those Chargers before it's wrecked, there's a place in Lake Villa just outside of Chicago that sells GLs just like them.  Ask for Hans Ludke. 

Ghoste

Sorry and I know it's  :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: but I am with Jon on this one.  I realize it's past history and the cars are wrecks blah blah blah but I also am in no way an advocate of these stupid jumps.
I can accept that when the series was on there was a Charger in every pot and with them being so plentiful and cheap that it was logical great fun to destroy them but even when they catapult wrecks onto freeways it has bad repercussiuons.  Even if all of those jumps only culminated in that assclown in Michigan destroying that RT a few years back, it's still something he likely wouldn't have done if he didn't see all those happy smiling paying faces lining up at Dukesfest IMO.  To be fair, he may never have even heard of Dukesfest.
And for the record, if they redid DMCL and destroyed a few Chargers for it I would be just as (probably waaaay more) outspoken against it.  :Twocents:

The70RT

Quote from: Ghoste on October 30, 2010, 10:25:27 AM
Sorry and I know it's  :horse: :horse: :horse: :horse: but I am with Jon on this one.  I realize it's past history and the cars are wrecks blah blah blah but I also am in no way an advocate of these stupid jumps.
I can accept that when the series was on there was a Charger in every pot and with them being so plentiful and cheap that it was logical great fun to destroy them but even when they catapult wrecks onto freeways it has bad repercussiuons.  Even if all of those jumps only culminated in that assclown in Michigan destroying that RT a few years back, it's still something he likely wouldn't have done if he didn't see all those happy smiling paying faces lining up at Dukesfest IMO.  To be fair, he may never have even heard of Dukesfest.
And for the record, if they redid DMCL and destroyed a few Chargers for it I would be just as (probably waaaay more) outspoken against it.  :Twocents:

I am with you, everday we get a new Dukes thread  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on October 30, 2010, 10:25:27 AM

:yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mike DC

Sorry, I don't agree.  (Jumping GLs every year is bad, yes.  But I don't agree about any movie wrecking being bad.)

These cars still have a badass image 40-50 years after they were built.  That's not happening because of anything other than pop culture.   

Ghoste

Wrecking them for amusement is bad.  That's where I'm staying.

Mike DC

Where will the musclecar hobby get new blood without it?  

Just ask the average 30s-50s car enthusiast how well the younger generations of the original guys are carrying on the torch these days.

Landonsrt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 30, 2010, 05:43:39 PM

Just ask the average 30s-50s car enthusiast how well the younger generations of the original guys are carrying on the torch these days.

From their parents hopefully......

Ghoste

If the only way to get them into cars is to destroy them, what's the point?

1969chargerrtse

I still think were in a dying hobby.  Sorry, but back in the day cars were everything, now there's everything else.  My kids could care less and sadly I understand that.
Sucks seeing chargers getting crashed but I do understand all sides here.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Mike DC

QuoteFrom their parents hopefully......

Maybe it was misunderstood.  I meant enthusiasts of cars from the 1930s-1950s.  These guys are passing on or becoming too old to play around with cars anymore.  The demand & respect for their cars has basically fallen off a cliff since then too, because their children aren't enough to keep supporting the hobby without a lot of new blood coming in too.  Their hobby is not gone but it's sure shrinking.  

Hollywood is a barometer for the rest of the society, and Hollywood doesn't think tailfins & Deuce coupes are very badass anymore.  Hollywood still thinks musclecars are cool these days, and so do tons of other people even if they don't all own a musclecar.  It's debatable how much of it is chicken & egg but the basic correlation between the two is pretty clear.  

------------------------------------------------------  

QuoteIf the only way to get them into cars is to destroy them, what's the point?

If the only way to restore a Hemi car is to part out a 318 Charger & two 4dr Coronets in the process, then what's the point?

Besides, it's totally a numbers game.  In the case of DOH we've got several times more GL replicas today than Warner Bros has ever really destroyed.  It's not a straight count to assume one replica = one saved Charger, but you get the idea.  And the guys with replicas represent a small fraction of the total # of guys affected by the show.  (Hell, I hear more than a few Ford & Chevy guys saying DOH was instrumental in getting them into the hobby in those camps.)    

Ghoste

I didn't need to see DOH jump cars to get me into Chargers so I guess that is part of why I don't agree with the idea of destroying old cars to get kids into them.  I understand that a small fraction of car enthusiasts did get into cars because of DOH but I doubt it counts for the majority.
As for Hollywood wrecking musclecars because they are badass, I think it has as much to do with them picking themes that appeal to babyboomers.  If there was a demographic still interested in WWII films or westerns then they would still be making those.  The fact that so many of their movies are based on programs and movies from the 60's and 70's should be evidence of that.  Hollywood doesn't think musclecars are badass, they think the people who think musclecars are badass have the most money to spend on movies.  Most of the time it seems like Hollywood is so far left they think cars should be banned outright.

bill440rt

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 30, 2010, 09:03:01 PM

If the only way to restore a Hemi car is to part out a 318 Charger & two 4dr Coronets in the process, then what's the point?

The point is there's a big difference in using one vehicle as an "organ donor" to restore another, than merely destroying one for the sheer sake in getting your jollies off.
A parts car is a parts car, but in this day & age there should be no reason to allow these cars to be destroyed for some soon forgotten Hollywood flop or a jackoff show promoter who wants to get his popcorn count up. Once they're gone, they're gone.

Quote from: Ghoste on October 30, 2010, 05:36:23 PM
Wrecking them for amusement is bad.  That's where I'm staying.

I'm with Ghoste on this one.  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Brass

I'm sick of Hollywood assuming these cars need to be wrecked for amusement.  For me, seeing a Charger on the screen would be amusement enough.  Great amusement, even.  Hollywood can put them through their paces but I hate it when they destroy a Charger beyond repair.  There are very few movies I can think of where that was the case. 

FastbackJon

Quote from: FastbackJon on October 29, 2010, 10:23:37 PM
At least dukes fans don't want to see superman fly. They would find some guy, dress him up in red and blue, then push him off of a building where he would fall to his death. They would think it was amusing.

My point was that what is shown in the movie and what is reality are two different things. Dukes fans don't seem to understand this.

Seeing a guy fly around in air like superman would be amazing but that's not realistic. Seeing a guy try to fly around in the air to be like superman and falling to his death would be horrific.

Likewise, seeing a General Lee soar through the air and land unharmed would be amazing, I'd pay to see that. But that's not realistic. Reality is the car crashing, rolling a few times, quarter panels caving in, and becoming a wreck which is horrific.

I don't understand how dukes fans can witness the horrific realistic version and then think that looks anything like the amazing unhurt jumps that are seen on film.
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

loudmouthaussie

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 30, 2010, 05:43:39 PM

30's - 50's cars are HUGE in lowrider scene and are generally kept original looking. its the 20's cars and before that gotta worry  ;)

as for dukes; it was a cool show, seein chargers jump WAS cool - in its historic context  :cheers:
now its just idiotic, disrespectfull and downright decadent when you consider the value/rarity  :yesnod:
1970 PLYMOUTH SUPERBIRD. 440/6BBL/BENCH/AUTO/VITAMIN C.
1979 FORD RANCHERO GT 351.
1960 AUSTIN HEALEY MK1 BUGEYE SPRITE 1275/4 SPEED.

Ghoste

I wouldn't worry too much about those pre war cars.  They've been so valuable that they are relegated to being rolling jewelry.  You don't hear so much about them now because theones that survive are largely stored in the secret collections of the very wealthy.