News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best bang for the buck 440 rocker arms for high performance street/strip build?

Started by 1Bad70Charger, October 29, 2010, 12:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Bad70Charger

All right, I am completely rebuilding my 440 engine into a 10:4 to 1, 500+ HP, pump gas high performance street bruiser that will only see the drag strip about once a year, and will be driven on the streets and highways about 1200 miles a year.

For my new Engle K58/60 hyd. flat tappet cam and Eddy Heads I thought I was going to use my stock rocker arms, but now thinking of upgrading to 1.6 rockers, to get the extra stability and lift out of my new cam (1.6 rockers put my lift to about .573 lift).

What vendor offers the best bang for the buck 1.6 rocker arm for this type of build-up?

Thanks in advance!  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

BBKNARF

Wow good question so many differant brands  :scratchchin: we seem to have similar combos, the rockers I'm using are from Hughes Engines great rockers for the price. They have been on my motor for 5 seasons and had no problems.  :Twocents:

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=QmlnIEJsb2NrIDM4My0zNjEtNDAwIChMb3cgRGVjayk=&level1=Um9ja2VyIEFybXMgJiBBY2Nlc3Nvcmllcw==&partid=22775

Frank
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

elacruze

:iagree:

I just finished the setup on my Hughes 1.6 rockers yesterday, and on my Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, the geometry was spot-on. I didn't have to shim or shave my rockershafts and the adjusters were perfectly aligned with the pushrods at ~.300" lift.

I also bought their billet shaft hold-downs, was impressed with the materials but I had to take them to the machinist to have the long ones shortened. They come with about 2" of shims, but were too long even with no shims.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

firefighter3931

From what i've read the hughes rockers fit and work well. On some installations a 1.6 rocker will require clearancing the pushrod tunnels if using a 3/8in pushrod so that needs to be checked.

Personally, i'm not a fan of 1.6 rockers with agressive fast rate hydraulic cams. The lifters are prone to collapse with the increased valve action and you also need to increase the spring pressure to accomodate the higher lift which creates the potential collapse issue.  :yesnod:

If it were mine ; I'd be using the 1.5 ratio rockers with the stock e-head springs and that Engle fast rate hydraulic and call it good.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 29, 2010, 11:51:30 AM
From what i've read the hughes rockers fit and work well. On some installations a 1.6 rocker will require clearancing the pushrod tunnels if using a 3/8in pushrod so that needs to be checked.

Personally, i'm not a fan of 1.6 rockers with agressive fast rate hydraulic cams. The lifters are prone to collapse with the increased valve action and you also need to increase the spring pressure to accomodate the higher lift which creates the potential collapse issue.  :yesnod:

If it were mine ; I'd be using the 1.5 ratio rockers with the stock e-head springs and that Engle fast rate hydraulic and call it good.  :Twocents:

Ron

Well then, looks like I will be sticking with 1.5 ratio rockers for better reliability thanks Ron!   :2thumbs:

What is the best bang for the buck 1.5 ratio rocker arm set-up out there that works well (that is more affordable than Hughes and still is good quality)?  
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

Rolling_Thunder

why not just run your stock rockers if you're going to keep the 1.5 ratio ?   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

BSB67

I would not recommend anything less expensive than the Crane ductile iron rockers.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on October 29, 2010, 06:43:52 PM
why not just run your stock rockers if you're going to keep the 1.5 ratio ?    

Sounds good to me, your the mechanic bro not me!  :2thumbs:

So then obviously using my stock rockers as long as they are in good shape is the way to go (yes I am on a budget but want it built right once) in builidng the exact type of engine you built Rolling Thunder that made 525+HP and torque, that you reference in the Car Craft Magazine Article about building a powerful 440?

I mean it was your build up that you reference in the following thread about the Car Craft 440 article that actually first led me towards the direction of my Engle K58/60 cam going in my car (and then Ron also recommended it about the same time and the rest is history).  

While we are on the topic did you used both stock 440 rockers and rods in that build up  you reference in the following thread?  ;)

BSB67, are the crane rockers you reference the same ones used in the Car Craft 440 build found in post #1 in the following thread?

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,37136.0.html

BSB67

"BSB67, are the crane rockers you reference the same ones used in the Car Craft 440 build found in post #1 in the following thread?"

I think those are the "Crane Gold" in the CC article.  Those are a little more pricey than the ductile iron. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: BSB67 on October 30, 2010, 11:37:29 AM
"BSB67, are the crane rockers you reference the same ones used in the Car Craft 440 build found in post #1 in the following thread?"

I think those are the "Crane Gold" in the CC article.  Those are a little more pricey than the ductile iron. 

Best place to get the Crane Ductile Iron Rockers (Summit, Crane, Mancini?).

Thank you.  :cheers:

b5blue

Don't forget they require ball-cup pushrods, a whole new can of worms, made by who....and what diameter....exact length per your build spec. all determined best with a "checking pushrod" after the heads are final mounted but before valley pan and intake are. Your cams grind, with lift, gives you a variable along with the heads and gaskets used and your installed valve height. Many forget that the cams "valve closed" diameter is reduced to allow for greater lift (as bigger lobes could not "fit" through cam bearing holes, easy to check for fit, but a PIA to try and calculate.   :2thumbs: 

1Bad70Charger

Quote from: b5blue on October 30, 2010, 01:28:43 PM
Don't forget they require ball-cup pushrods, a whole new can of worms, made by who....and what diameter....exact length per your build spec. all determined best with a "checking pushrod" after the heads are final mounted but before valley pan and intake are. Your cams grind, with lift, gives you a variable along with the heads and gaskets used and your installed valve height. Many forget that the cams "valve closed" diameter is reduced to allow for greater lift (as bigger lobes could not "fit" through cam bearing holes, easy to check for fit, but a PIA to try and calculate.   :2thumbs: 

:brickwall:  :brickwall:

Stock rocker arm assembly is looking better by the minute!  ;)

b5blue