News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 HD transmisson

Started by bobfist, October 28, 2010, 03:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobfist

Hi!
i want to know what the difference are between a A272 and a a A727 HD 1969
And wonder if the Charger 69 RT/SE came with HD Shocks?
www.bobfist.com
Muscle Car Restorations & Reproduction
Sweden

Brock Samson

as to the shooks yeah they came with heavy duty Monroe shocks. yellow in color as i recall. there is a truck trans and a later over drive trans though I'm not an expert.. they will chime in soon I'm sure..

RD

Quote from: bobfist on October 28, 2010, 03:10:23 PM
Hi!
i want to know what the difference are between a A272 and a a A727 HD 1969

how do you know its an HD?  the difference is many, but its based upon the make/model.  what are the numbers on your transmission?  John_Kunkel has said this many times (and I am paraphrasing, but its the truth):  the 1969 transmission is 41 years old, that is a lot of years for people to tamper with what originally came in it.. so who knows what is in it now.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bobfist

what i meant is how the parts internal are different
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Ghoste

Sometimes they have an extra pinion in the planetary set or an extra disc in the clutch pack but as far as any hard components being altered for extra durability such as high strength input shafts or thicker cases, there won't be things like that.  If that is what you are asking?

bobfist

ok, so how the stock 440 4-barrrel HD transmission was build are impossible to find out?
B&M have a HD transpack but thats not the thing i guess?
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

John_Kunkel

The question is hard to answer in detail without a specific year.

In any given year the difference between a standard 727 and a HD 727 depends on the motor it was attached to i.e. a standard 383 trans would be different than a standard 440 trans and in some years a HP 383 trans would be different than a HP 440 trans but in some years they're the same.

Confused yet?

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

bobfist

i read somewhere that hd 727 on 440 hp engines had four pinions instead of three
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

RD

Quote from: bobfist on October 30, 2010, 04:43:03 PM
i read somewhere that hd 727 on 440 hp engines had four pinions instead of three

some did.. in the front planetary, and some did in the rear planetary.. but some had 4 in the front and 3 in the rear... :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

bobfist

oh god, never gonna build this like the Hd original .... :(
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

RD

Quote from: bobfist on October 30, 2010, 04:53:45 PM
oh god, never gonna build this like the Hd original .... :(

a stock 727 can handle up to 500-550hp.  how much more HD do you need?

bobfist

no im not out for Hp just to build the stock transmission code D32 in my papers from factory.
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

John_Kunkel

Why worry? Nobody can see inside.

The weakness in the planetaries isn't in the pinion count but at the spline in the front planetary that mates to the output shaft.

bobfist

ok i will stop worry, but must be many members in here that dont know if their 727 are Hd then?
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

John_Kunkel

The part number stamped on the pan rail determines whether or not it started life as a HD but, like RD noted, after 40+ years who knows.

bobfist

yes, that number says 1970 C-body 440 350 hp
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

RD

Quote from: bobfist on October 30, 2010, 05:02:16 PM
ok i will stop worry, but must be many members in here that dont know if their 727 are Hd then?

actually, there are many members here who have transmissions that are "more" HD than came from the factory LOL!

oldkimmer

............A hd input shaft from the factory will have a dallop of yellow paint on it..........kim..............and yes ive had a few................and still do.........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghoste

Is it the shaft that's different though or does the yellow paint indicate the the trans as a whole is hd?

b5blue

For 70 I've run across items listed as "For Six-Pack or Hemi" from suppliers on eBay also.....so HD tranny is like HP blocks? (internal parts changed but no "basic" difference)   :shruggy: 

RD

Quote from: b5blue on October 31, 2010, 06:13:09 AM
For 70 I've run across items listed as "For Six-Pack or Hemi" from suppliers on eBay also.....so HD tranny is like HP blocks? (internal parts changed but no "basic" difference)   :shruggy: 

yes and no.  a hemi transmission is the only transmission to have the larger intermediate band, and front drum (think more surface area).

you are correct with your assumption in regards to your HD / HP analogy though.

bobfist

But in my papers i can read that my option D32 are a 727-B transmission...
Need to find anyone that can rebuild it just like original
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

Ghoste

Rebuilding it like original is easy for most any competent trans shop.  They aren't going to need to replace something like a planetary set for example (unless it's broken).  They are going to primarily inspect, replace wear items like bands and clutches and reassemble.

bobfist

ok, so place some more friction discs then, thats what i read
someone has to have a book on the internals on the D32 727 - B
www.bobfist.com
Sweden

John_Kunkel

Quote from: oldkimmer on October 31, 2010, 12:08:14 AM
............A hd input shaft from the factory will have a dallop of yellow paint on it

Ma was very inconsistent about this, some years have the yellow paint and some years have a shallow groove in the splines, some have both and some have none.

The shaft in the pic below has both the groove and the yellow paint.