News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Filling pin holes

Started by chargd72, October 27, 2010, 08:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chargd72

What is the best way to fill these little pin holes (you can see them right over the front wheelwell)?  They are about 1/4 inch big and I don't have the trim that goes there so I want to fill them.

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

The70RT

The paint looks nice, I would just get the trim unless your gonna do a repaint. Weld & grind if so.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

chargd72

The paint looks good in the pic but there are a lot of little cracks exposing metal and starting to rust, so a repaint is in order.  Are they small enough to use leadless solder?

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

DC_1

Quote from: The70RT on October 27, 2010, 09:49:31 AM
The paint looks nice, I would just get the trim unless your gonna do a repaint. Weld & grind if so.

I agree! The pin holes are the metal finally disintegrating, it is most likely worse than what you see.  You need to cut out all that thin degraded metal and weld in new. Or, just oil the crap out of the back side and hope it doesn't get worse.

chargd72

Quote from: Sydmoe on October 27, 2010, 10:11:18 AM
Quote from: The70RT on October 27, 2010, 09:49:31 AM

I agree! The pin holes are the metal finally disintegrating, it is most likely worse than what you see.  You need to cut out all that thin degraded metal and weld in new

The pinholes aren't from rust under the paint.  They are man made holes for the trim package, which I don't have.  If the metal is good around the holes, which it is, I can't fill it with anything?

DC_1

Sorry,when you said pin holes I assumed rust holes. I took a better look at the pic you posted and now I can see that your talking about the trim holes in the fender. I'd try and get the trim otherwise your looking at welding, grinding and painting to do it properly.

chargd72

Thanks guys.  Since it needs a repaint to prevent rust from taking over soon, looks like welding is what I'll be doing.

elitecustombody

weld them shut,hold copper paddle from the backside for quicker and cleaner welds

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

RD

Quote from: elitecustombody on October 31, 2010, 11:22:10 PM
weld them shut,hold copper paddle from the backside for quicker and cleaner welds

not a experience weldor.. what does the copper paddle do in regards to function?  could you further explain how it "exactly" benefits the cleaner weld aspect? thanks.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Troy

Quote from: RD on October 31, 2010, 11:50:10 PM
Quote from: elitecustombody on October 31, 2010, 11:22:10 PM

not a experience weldor.. what does the copper paddle do in regards to function?  could you further explain how it "exactly" benefits the cleaner weld aspect? thanks.
I am not a professional welder - but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express. The weld won't stick to copper and, with a solid backing, it won't fall through or bulge in back (less grinding in a tight place). Copper also acts as a heat sink which allows you to use a bit more heat (or making a larger/longer weld) without burning through the thin sheet metal and making a mess.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nvrbdn

dang i need to get me a night at that hotel :smilielol:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

RD

Quote from: nvrbdn on November 01, 2010, 10:30:29 AM
dang i need to get me a night at that hotel :smilielol:

obviously i do too!!! thanks troy. :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander